“Thousands apply for fruit and veg picker jobs..”

Yip you cant do a second paid job on Furlough, you can do Volunteered work
You can do a second paid job.
That's what puzzles me.

Some people are being furloughed and getting 80% of their salary coming in and taking on a second job, so they could have more money coming in.

Others are being refused furlough and cannot work because they are shielding and all they can claim is either £94 SSP/UC or £73 ESA, so they're facing financial worries but can't work to make ends meet.

It's a really unfair system and penalises the people who have been told to stay home because they are of high risk of serious illness/death so the hospital beds can be used for people more likely to survive it.
It isn’t fair to begrudge someone trying to make up their salary just because you don’t qualify.

80% of salary will also mean a lot will still have money worries.

I'm self employed and enquired about UC. The person I spoke to was a bit vague but from what I understand if I claim the £94 UC then when my furlough payment is paid to me in June I don't have to pay this UC back. I thought it would be automatically deducted from the June payment but the woman I spoke to appeared to think not. I'm going to claim the UC and see what happens in June, nothing to lose really.

My change of contract doesn’t explicitly forbid me from taking a second job.
Aye mines doesn't explicitly.Just had another look there and although it says "must not" undertake any paid work. It also says that if you do you must inform the company and any paid furlough would have to be repaid. Like i said though, a contractual and financial minefield. Anyways who wants to work when the factory is shut and the weathers canny. 80% and all you can drink :)

Here they come again, taking all our jobs. :rolleyes:
Because they're needed!
Brighton-based Concordia, one of the biggest recruiters of volunteer workers in the country, said it had 35,000 applications of interest after the appeal.

While the response was significant, it said only 16% – 5,500 people – opted to interview for a role, leaving a gap between supply and demand for pickers.

4,300 expressions of interest

112 have accepted jobs.

70,000 is how many people we normally have working here seasonally to pick our fresh fruit and vegetables.

Cracking stuff.

4,300 expressions of interest

112 have accepted jobs.

70,000 is how many people we normally have working here seasonally to pick our fresh fruit and vegetables.

Cracking stuff.
I hope Priti Patel will be targeting her 5m inactive or whatever the number was to get them out doing this now or lose any benefits

Back