“This year I’m donating to charity”

Although I send christmas cards like everyone else, if you really think about it, the whole concept is ridiculous. If I don't receive a card off someone I don't think "oh they obviously don't think of me at christmas", and I know my extended family wish me well at Christmas... I don't need a card to tell me so.

All it needs is a social media campaign next year to break the ingrained custom.

As my son says.. "A card is useless.. unless it contains money".
I like getting a card from someone who I haven't thought of for a while. I don't do Facebook etc so it's like a yearly keep in touch. I also like putting the cards up with the kids. Giving a card to someone you see everyday though I think is a little pointless

At this rate it will be seen as a bad thing soon to write and post Christmas cards.

Unlike Christmas cards, charity isn't just for Christmas.

I understand people deciding not to send cards these days due to the cost and to social media.

However, this is the time of the year when the lazy arses who haven’t got round to sending a card suddenly declare that this year they are not sending cards, they are donating to charity instead.

The lucky charity is rarely named. I wonder how many actually donate - 20%?
19% I'm hearing

I didn’t send any cards this year except to my dad, but there’s a lot of bad feeling going on in the family at the moment so that’s one reason why.

Did you know that you can buy the entire Asda Smart Price range for about £52? That is 96 different, non perishable items which I think a food bank would prefer to a load of cards. You can make a few changes to items if you choose. For example I substitute custard creams for the smart price biscuits as they only cost a few pence more and you get double the weight of biscuits!

We always do this. I’ve donated £20 each to Ataxia UK and CHAS this year.

I announce it on social media because it’s the easiest way to make sure the people who you would usually have sent cards to can see why they haven’t received one.

All the people I know who do the same, name the charity. Maybe the OP needs to get some more honest friends.
Happy for people to donate to charity but it seems strange to deprive a friend or family member of a card.

I almost always buy charity cards and pass those on when I see the recipients any time in December.
I don’t particularly like receiving Christmas cards. We have a card tree which everything just gets dumped on and I wouldn’t really remember who has or hasn’t sent me one TBH.

Last edited:
Nobody gets a card from me. Mrs. R. sends loads though. I've no idea who sends us cards because i never read any that arrive at our place.
I don't not give cards because i donate to charity. I don't send cards because i don't care about cards. Though i also give to charities. Animal charities and possibly a kids charity. I'm not sure which ones or how much because mrs. handles the money and i've told her not to tell me in case i cry.

I understand people deciding not to send cards these days due to the cost and to social media.

However, this is the time of the year when the lazy arses who haven’t got round to sending a card suddenly declare that this year they are not sending cards, they are donating to charity instead.

The lucky charity is rarely named. I wonder how many actually donate - 20%?
Why don't the twats donate all the f***ing money they waste on Christmas presents and buy none

I didn’t send any cards this year except to my dad, but there’s a lot of bad feeling going on in the family at the moment so that’s one reason why.

Did you know that you can buy the entire Asda Smart Price range for about £52? That is 96 different, non perishable items which I think a food bank would prefer to a load of cards. You can make a few changes to items if you choose. For example I substitute custard creams for the smart price biscuits as they only cost a few pence more and you get double the weight of biscuits!

You spend 50 odd quid on smart price shite?

Back