“Sometimes he is a little bit nasty and irritating to the opposition, but I like that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff was mentioned a few days back. Im coming round to the idea of it becoming our "philosophy" now tbh. We cant afford to compete with the big lads on wages or transfer fees or signing on fees or quality of players. We need an "edge". So why not make that "edge" being "edgy"?
:confused: What! like an edgy edge?

The difficulty is turning genuinely tough competitive players into Premier League *savvy* players, if you more than breathe heavily on your opponent he'll go down and exaggerate the situation, the game today is spoiled by players *claiming* fouls, nowt better than seeing a good physical contest, sadly it's disappearing from the game.

I've often thought that with a little bit of coaching / education, we could easily cut down the number of bookings we get.

If the ref wants to talk to you, walk over to him, shut the fuck up whilst he's talking, look at him, talk calmly if you want to put your point across, don't rant and swear and apologise with a smile.

Watch the likes of cattermole and larsson, they go on like stroppy teenagers.

Referees are people, people react differently to situations depending on the interaction with others. I know I'd be more likely to book someone acting like a twat. People skills, learn to manage the ref!

I appreciate some won't agree and others will even take the piss but I'm convinced.

The same could be said about Defoe . I'm sure Craig Gordon would back me up on this one .

I can see where you're coming from (and agree) because he's certainly no "shrinking violet".

My point was that it now seems to be becoming part of the recruitment policy, rather than just an an added bonus, as also suggested by @riffraff.

I can see where you're coming from (and agree) because he's certainly no "shrinking violet".

My point was that it now seems to be becoming part of the recruitment policy, rather than just an an added bonus, as also suggested by @riffraff.
Fair point . Wetmore reminds me of a young Craig Bellamy as well . (not in the looks department thank fuck )

We will win the (fair play) league imho

This is our year.

Cloughie signed Larry Lloyd & Kenny Burns and won the EC twice. These are the types we want. Self motivating wind up merchants with an onfield will to win that can take a team way above its station in life.

Lloyd
Burns
Rae
Hutchison
Savage
Wise
Dicks
Ruddock
Charlie George
Bellamy
Ian Wright
Bremner
Francis Lee
Mike Summerbee
Case
Giles etc etc.

These types of personalities, Im not talking about skill levels though the more skilful the better. Theres others who mebbes nivver rose to those felllers heights who when surrounded by similar types mebbes could? mebbes their still out there? Players with a bit of edge, devil, nous etc that ended up higher up the league than their skills alone wouldve taken them without that XFacor.
Chelsea in the early 70s had em by the Capri load and they beat the best AND orriblest team ever assembled in history in the second greatest FA Cup Final ever and won another couple of trophies anarl. Twas as much a fight as a football match. I like to think Stokoe took a bit of inspiration from it a couple of years later.

Haway Ellis you know it makes sense. It may be our only way to even up the financial and geographical disparity youre wrestling with.

King Ola is a tall lad. M'Vila looks tall and Lens is 5'10/11 which is a decent height for a winger. Add in Rodwell and overall our team is looking taller which could make a difference in the Prem.

Particularly on set pieces.

All we need is a set piece taker who can miss the first defender or the wall.

We need to be more physically intimidating to the opposition, we have at times looked like the midget team, and as soft as shite.

Hopefully we can combine decent football with a bit of an edge, would be great to actually see us dominate teams in midfield.

When it comes to yellow cards we are the worst offenders in the league. But if anyone thinks we are a tough, dirty team..forget it. we are simply so f***ing slow we end up letting other players fall over our trailing legs.
If Lee Cattermole was on a team by himself he would be the worst offending team, I don't think anyone thinks were a tough team, we juat have Cattermole.

"“He is a player that we don’t have in the squad who can score with a good header from midfield."

:eek: Can't wait to see that!

Last edited:
Cloughie signed Larry Lloyd & Kenny Burns and won the EC twice. These are the types we want. Self motivating wind up merchants with an onfield will to win that can take a team way above its station in life.

Lloyd
Burns
Rae
Hutchison
Savage
Wise
Dicks
Ruddock
Charlie George
Bellamy
Ian Wright
Bremner
Francis Lee
Mike Summerbee
Case
Giles etc etc.

These types of personalities, Im not talking about skill levels though the more skilful the better. Theres others who mebbes nivver rose to those felllers heights who when surrounded by similar types mebbes could? mebbes their still out there? Players with a bit of edge, devil, nous etc that ended up higher up the league than their skills alone wouldve taken them without that XFacor.
Chelsea in the early 70s had em by the Capri load and they beat the best AND orriblest team ever assembled in history in the second greatest FA Cup Final ever and won another couple of trophies anarl. Twas as much a fight as a football match. I like to think Stokoe took a bit of inspiration from it a couple of years later.

Haway Ellis you know it makes sense. It may be our only way to even up the financial and geographical disparity youre wrestling with.

Very good post!

I reckon that BC's views were formed when he played under Alan Brown and the Sunderland team was littered with good players that wouldn't take any cr*p from their opponents - Hurley, McNab, Herd, Crossan, Mulhall to name but a few and some that you missed (from his days at Derby/Forest) were Hector, Hinton, McGovern and Gemmill.

If we end up with a team full of players with their attitude we will have the best season we've had in many a long year, despite our bad start!!

That was DA referring to Toivonen but I think he could equally have been talking about Lens or M'Vila which, to me, suggests that the two other signings he anticipates will possess a similar mentality!

That would mean I can't see us winning the fair play league this season but I think the days of seeing Sunderland being "bullied" on the field will soon be behind us.

Not before time imho!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor.../sunderland-lost-patience-jonathan-de-9947559
Aye that Toivonen turned out to be a real hardman :lol::lol::lol:

This stuff was mentioned a few days back. Im coming round to the idea of it becoming our "philosophy" now tbh. We cant afford to compete with the big lads on wages or transfer fees or signing on fees or quality of players. We need an "edge". So why not make that "edge" being "edgy"?
Assemble a team of Savages, Wises, Raes, Hutchisons, Mvilas etc etc. A bunch of windy up bastards with enuff skill to be PL players in their own right but together become the team no one wants to play against. They wouldnt have to be dirty just street wise: think Hutchisons free kicks both for and against us at WHU. A team of those sort of fellers would be able to go toe to toe with the big clubs and even wipe the floor with them on a good night at the SOL under the floodlights.
Its the way forward

Hutchison is an excellent example, the kind of player who was never overawed and liked to properly get in the opposition's face. And if you want the ultimate example of that combined with enough skill to hurt teams, I respectfully put forward Sir Niall Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back