“Sometimes he is a little bit nasty and irritating to the opposition, but I like that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laeotaekhun

Striker
That was DA referring to Toivonen but I think he could equally have been talking about Lens or M'Vila which, to me, suggests that the two other signings he anticipates will possess a similar mentality!

That would mean I can't see us winning the fair play league this season but I think the days of seeing Sunderland being "bullied" on the field will soon be behind us.

Not before time imho!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor.../sunderland-lost-patience-jonathan-de-9947559

The difficulty is turning genuinely tough competitive players into Premier League *savvy* players, if you more than breathe heavily on your opponent he'll go down and exaggerate the situation, the game today is spoiled by players *claiming* fouls, nowt better than seeing a good physical contest, sadly it's disappearing from the game.

When did we used to get 'bullied' on the field? Not recently, normally us trying to 'bully' because we've been too shite to play football.

When did we used to get 'bullied' on the field? Not recently, normally us trying to 'bully' because we've been too shite to play football.

I don't think that we've had the physicality to stand up to some of the other teams in the PL for some time now, many of which appear to have had bigger, more powerful players - I'm not talking about those who just foul but those that we appear to just bounce off.

The difficulty is turning genuinely tough competitive players into Premier League *savvy* players, if you more than breathe heavily on your opponent he'll go down and exaggerate the situation, the game today is spoiled by players *claiming* fouls, nowt better than seeing a good physical contest, sadly it's disappearing from the game.
He's not talking about tackling hard. He means the Robbie Savage type who will spend the game targeting and winding up an opposition player.

Oh he doesn't seem the type, looks more interested in his hair than football... Which I can totally sympathise with.

To be honest don't really know alot about him, still thought he was a striker 2 days ago.

I don't think that we've had the physicality to stand up to some of the other teams in the PL for some time now, many of which appear to have had bigger, more powerful players - I'm not talking about those who just foul but those that we appear to just bounce off.
Spot on that.

King Ola is a tall lad. M'Vila looks tall and Lens is 5'10/11 which is a decent height for a winger. Add in Rodwell and overall our team is looking taller which could make a difference in the Prem.

Particularly on set pieces.

King Ola is a tall lad. M'Vila looks tall and Lens is 5'10/11 which is a decent height for a winger. Add in Rodwell and overall our team is looking taller which could make a difference in the Prem.

Bit of a tall story that, but aye we have bigger lads this season.
De Guzman was of Birdcutt stature I believe

That was DA referring to Toivonen but I think he could equally have been talking about Lens or M'Vila which, to me, suggests that the two other signings he anticipates will possess a similar mentality!

That would mean I can't see us winning the fair play league this season but I think the days of seeing Sunderland being "bullied" on the field will soon be behind us.

Not before time imho!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor.../sunderland-lost-patience-jonathan-de-9947559

"“He is a player that we don’t have in the squad who can score with a good header from midfield."

:eek: Can't wait to see that!

English footy was the last to adopt the 'throw yourself to the ground at any opportunity' approach so he should be well versed already.

And team photos , bit more consistency

He's not talking about tackling hard. He means the Robbie Savage type who will spend the game targeting and winding up an opposition player.

This stuff was mentioned a few days back. Im coming round to the idea of it becoming our "philosophy" now tbh. We cant afford to compete with the big lads on wages or transfer fees or signing on fees or quality of players. We need an "edge". So why not make that "edge" being "edgy"?
Assemble a team of Savages, Wises, Raes, Hutchisons, Mvilas etc etc. A bunch of windy up bastards with enuff skill to be PL players in their own right but together become the team no one wants to play against. They wouldnt have to be dirty just street wise: think Hutchisons free kicks both for and against us at WHU. A team of those sort of fellers would be able to go toe to toe with the big clubs and even wipe the floor with them on a good night at the SOL under the floodlights.
Its the way forward

Not before time imho!!

The same could be said about Defoe . I'm sure Craig Gordon would back me up on this one .

Oh he doesn't seem the type, looks more interested in his hair than football... Which I can totally sympathise with.

To be honest don't really know alot about him, still thought he was a striker 2 days ago.
Not a striker but can play forward or attacking midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back