“Piss taking party stops here”

Richard Hill - Head of Football Operations , previous club: Eastleigh

Paul Reid - Head of Academy, previous club: Eastleigh.

f***ing Eastleigh man and now they're running things at SAFC whose first team is mid-table in League One and U23s and U18s bottom of their respective leagues. Are our owners taking the piss?
A bit like Short in that the people in positions of power are not up to the job, recruitment and who recruits needs sorting asap.

Of all the catastrophic desicions made by Short, selling to these rock bottom clowns was his worst.

He was quite rightly vilified on here for his appointments and these fellas have hired blokes from f***ing Eastleigh for the top jobs here. It's like Lewis Hamilton getting the bloke from Autotune in Roker to sort his motor out for the British GP

f***ing Eastleigh man and now they're running things at SAFC whose first team is mid-table in League One and U23s and U18s bottom of their respective leagues. Are our owners taking the piss?

To be fair when they initially came in, with loads going wrong at the club and loads to sort, I could sort of understand why they'd want trusted people in quickly. Those people, however, have to be held to the same standards as any other employee. With recruitment poor and the club looking like it might get stuck in league one it would only be right to look at Hill in particular and question whether he is good enough to be here. Let's be honest, if that job was advertised and it wasn't his mates in charge he wouldn't have had a chance in hell. Donald even sacked him, twice, at Eastleigh. So not good enough to be manager of Eastleigh but somehow he gets to be Head of Football Operations here, it's frankly ridiculous.

To be fair when they initially came in, with loads going wrong at the club and loads to sort, I could sort of understand why they'd want trusted people in quickly. Those people, however, have to be held to the same standards as any other employee. With recruitment poor and the club looking like it might get stuck in league one it would only be right to look at Hill in particular and question whether he is good enough to be here. Let's be honest, if that job was advertised and it wasn't his mates in charge he wouldn't have had a chance in hell. Donald even sacked him, twice, at Eastleigh. So not good enough to be manager of Eastleigh but somehow he gets to be Head of Football Operations here, it's frankly ridiculous.

Imagine the reaction on here if Ellis Sort announced he was hiring two blokes from a National League club for these jobs. This site would have exploded.

It kind of plays into what Stewart was saying. He bought it, brought his mates in who he knew would do a cost-cutting job (upmost importance at the time), worked hard at a massive club and went to some games with his lad etc.... a fun adventure while making some money.

I think since then everything has been tailored towards "investment" and its just run away from him.

It kind of plays into what Stewart was saying. He bought it, brought his mates in who he knew would do a cost-cutting job (upmost importance at the time), worked hard at a massive club and went to some games with his lad etc.... a fun adventure while making some money.

I think since then everything has been tailored towards "investment" and its just run away from him.

Agree with that. What i don't get (and I know this is comment on speculation and we don't have the full facts) is that it sounds like he is determined to stay on here; he's said he wants to stay, mentioned that he didn't know if the investors would want him and Charlie etc. I'd have thought he might have done as you said, had some fun with it but realised that ultimately it was beyond him and his mates. Their chance was to do it last season, get recruitment right, get us straight up and take it from there with one more parachute helping as we hit the championship. That didn't happen, if we don't go up he'll likely be worried about finances again with no parachute payment. Taking a bit of profit and getting out having brought major investors to the table sounds like an eminently sensible move on all sides for me

I think it's looking more like this was only ever meant to be for one season. They thought we would go straight back up and then they would move on, when the club was bought as a more attractive, Championship club. Don't think they planned for a second season in the wilderness.

I think it's looking more like this was only ever meant to be for one season. They thought we would go straight back up and then they would move on, when the club was bought as a more attractive, Championship club. Don't think they planned for a second season in the wilderness.

Exactly what I think and it’s why it irks me when he says decisions are for the best interest of the club and all that shite. They came to make a few bob and honesty would make me trust him but there’s smooth talking going on.

Last edited:
Without new investment and owners we’ll be stuck in these league for a long time to come.
I would really like to know why Ellis Short chose to give the club to this pair rather than the other consortiums that were supposedly interested in us at the time.

Without new investment and owners we’ll be stuck in these league for a long time to come.
I would really like to know why Ellis Short chose to give the club to this pair rather than the other consortiums that were supposedly interested in us at the time.
He also said that he chose this pair because they were better for the club ....or words to that effect

Someone will be along shortly to tell you to keep the faith and support the team, give em time, we are only x points from the playoffs etc etc etc.

It looks like the so called party has moved back in And more prominent than ever. Absolutely woeful, top to bottom!!!
Sounds like you didn't understand what he meant when he said "the pisstake party stops here".

He was talking about players being paid more than they were worth to get them here when they didn't have any desire at all to play for Sunderland in the first place.

Bizarrely that's pretty much what a lot of people are now advocating we should have done when hiring our manager.

Sounds like you didn't understand what he meant when he said "the pisstake party stops here".

He was talking about players being paid more than they were worth to get them here when they didn't have any desire at all to play for Sunderland in the first place.

Bizarrely that's pretty much what a lot of people are now advocating we should have done when hiring our manager.

How about people in the top jobs (who are their friends) jumping 3 divisions and presumably wages jumping in turn?
Is that not akin to be what you're saying?

How about people in the top jobs (who are their friends) jumping 3 divisions and presumably wages jumping in turn?
Is that not akin to be what you're saying?

No, it's the opposite, it's getting people in who want to be here and paying them less.

If the pisstake party were still in full operation in the way they described it when they made the comment, we'd be hiring people from two divisions above who had no intention of coming here and paying them double their previous wage to convince them to come.

Back