“Normal”

We don't need to vaccinate the whole country. Roughly speaking, we need to vaccine - at a minimum - the 17.2m people who qualify for the flu vaccine through either age or clinical risk.

Now that is no small undertaking, but through a combination of general practice, hospitals and vaccination hubs we could do it.

Let's take County Durham - the North East's largest local authority by population - as an example.

County Durham has 174,000 patients who qualify for a flu vaccination through either age or clinical risk.

To vaccinate every single one of those people within a 30-day period would require 5,800 vaccinations per day, every day.

County Durham has around 65 GP practices, meaning on average (though they vary significantly in size) each one would provide 89 a day.

That's exceptionally achievable. Larger practices would have to vaccinate something like 6,000 people would need to hit 200 a day, whilst some smaller practices could get through their entire list in a week - hell, Durham's smallest practice has about 600 eligible patients.

GP practices already have the skills, the experience and the organisation to deliver vaccination programmes on a large scale. They do the flu vaccine every year.

Hospitals already have the skills, the experience and the organisation to deliver vaccination programmes to their staff. They do the flu vaccine every year.

The skills are there, the numbers are achievable. As long as the logistics themselves do not become an issue, such as keeping the vaccine cold or providing transportation and storage, I think it's exceptionally achievable to vaccinate the core group of patients who are going to need the vaccine.

Vaccinating the rest of the adult population is going to be somewhat harder and take quite a bit longer.
Not to forget that only the most vulnerable children would need early vaccination. Most of the kids that get a flu jab will be last in line for the Covid jab so that number would be even smaller
Boris will announce tomorrow that normal will be back by Easter
and he did

Last edited:
I'm not sure we are looking at the full picture on this thread. As someone who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, I do appreciate and understand the concern regarding deaths from covid as the primary issue but there is another side to things. While it is true that the under 40s are extremely unlikely to die as a result of covid, there is the issue of long covid among younger people. There seem to be several types of long covid and some may resolve themselves over time but if the long covid is neurological such as chronic fatigue syndrome then the condition may be for life. If such a form of long covid became common then the effects on society and the economy will be bad over the longer term. One medical expert I read earlier said that mass vaccination may not start until the summer.

We have to be careful what we wish for and make sure we don't run ahead of ourselves. While the saving of lives among the vulnerable is essential we have to be careful we don't sacrifice the long term health of the younger generation. We will get there. There is hope but let's remain patient. We've been through as lot this year, a few more months of being careful wont harm which is why I still think it will be later next year before we see a return to true normality.
Then we can all have the mother of all parties.
Great post but I wouldn't expect that we'll be hanging around worrying about those that will get "long covid" or, as you say, ME/CFS. Not that I think we shouldn't worry about it, there's just zero chance that the government will hold back on vaccinating and restarting the economy.

The plus side for those long suffering ME/CFS patients is that we may now get a suitably high level of funding and research in order to properly diagnose and treat all of the illnesses that tend to fall under that label. We live in hope 🙏

Fuck me a depression session on here 😂 don’t we have a vaccine being rolled out within weeks?
That has to be given to a huge percentage of the population not just here but around the world and which has to be given in two separate doses. Yes we may have a huge supply of the vaccines but they haven’t been produced yet.

That has to be given to a huge percentage of the population not just here but around the world and which has to be given in two separate doses. Yes we may have a huge supply of the vaccines but they haven’t been produced yet.
Do you think if all high risk people are vaccinated by April, we should crack on?

I still think we will have some normal march/April - perhaps bubble of 6 etc, haway everyone chins up, lets just get winter done and there is some light x

Back