“My dream to play for Real Madrid”

Can't speak for all of mainland Europe, but the exes brother (Bulgarian) wanted to play for CSKA if he ever made it, and said that if he could play for any team in the world it would be Man U or Juventus....

I can see why Mediterranean based players prefer Real Madrid like.

is it? Heard this since I was a kid, but their fans are awful, boo bale who won 4 European cups

This line I’ve heard from every player ever, maybe lads growing up in mainland Europe it is the dream, I dunno

Or it could be PR bullshit

All the journos saying good move for hazard, it obviously is, but saying because he’s dreamed since he was a child etc

Bullshit
Madrid is better for a night out?

It's fairly straightforward.

Hazard grew up in the francophone part of Belgium where French media tends to dominate. Then in the middle of his teenage years he moved to Lille to play youth football. Zizou was his idol and by extension Madrid his team. They even play in the same position - 10 or coming in off the left. He has never hid any of these facts.

One of the more convincing 'my dream is to play for...' stories.

In the 70s I always dreamt of playing for Sunderland and England. My European team of choice was VFB Stuttgart cos my dad worked there and brought back pennants and a flag from there and told me all about Hansi Muller their big striker, we had Bob Lee.

When Hazard was 10 / 11, the Real Madrid team were the best team in Europe and included Roberto Carlos, Zidane, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo, and Beckham.

Playing in a country where any top talent needs to go abroad, I've no idea why it is remotely suspicious that he wanted to play for them as a kid.

You are disputing the fact Real are the biggest club in the world?
Did you fail to see the much bigger club? They are bigger, but definitely not much bigger. Barcelona always get a bigger average attendance, it's only really trophies, I'd say Barca worldwide appeal has caught up due to Messi.

Last edited:
I’d rather play for Barca meself. Not sure I’m going to displace messi at this stage in life. Think you are right though it’s absolute shite. Barca in hazards life have probably been every bit as successful as real and certainly played with more style
I’d rather play for Barca too. But as I sit here recovering from a knee replacement it’s beginning to dawn on me that it’s probably not going to happen now.

is it? Heard this since I was a kid, but their fans are awful, boo bale who won 4 European cups

This line I’ve heard from every player ever, maybe lads growing up in mainland Europe it is the dream, I dunno

Or it could be PR bullshit

All the journos saying good move for hazard, it obviously is, but saying because he’s dreamed since he was a child etc

Bullshit
Hard to beat Di Canio' dream of playing for Celtic. They were is favourite Subbuteo team as a kid.

Add to the names RM have signed in the last 20 years. I know Barca have had some great players but RM have signed
Ronaldo
Figo
Zidane
Beckham
Ramos
Robinho
Batista
Cannavaro
RVN
Robben
Ronaldo
Kaka
Benzema
Di Maria
Ozil
Carvalho
Modric
Essien
Bale
James

That’s not even scratched the surface. That would have been the transfers through Hazards childhood and career. Getting his name amongst them would be special.
Barca have brought players through their acadamy better than the lot of them tbf but real are the biggest club on the planet

I’d rather play for Barca too. But as I sit here recovering from a knee replacement it’s beginning to dawn on me that it’s probably not going to happen now.
Never give up Wrighty. Still if it doesn't happen on the playing side, perhaps you can become one of the best managers to never manage England and win a few trophies for unfancied clubs.

I think even if I was an good as Ronaldo I'd still time my contracts so that I could go to Sunderland on a free at the end of my career.

Back