“If the performance was poor from minute one, I’d have accepted that as a potential criticism, but we were at it on Saturday."

The ‘pitchforks’ as you describe it, or ‘lack of faith in Ross’ to give it its proper name, has been unwavering for months. Nothing has changed. I wanted him out several weeks before the end of last season, I wanted him out before he had a chance to waste more money in the summer, and I still think he’s going to take us nowhere.

That’s last February when I couldn’t take another aimless punt up the pitch. A overly expensive team reduced to anti-football. Look at the abuse... :lol:

We could’ve spent zero and played the same exact way and the finish would have been just as meaningless.

Good post.
The club was completely broken when the owners and Ross arrived
They’ve rebooted us and we are on the way back. There is no quick fix - ask a Leeds United fan. It might take two or three years to get out of league 1, it might take another 10 to get back to the PL. there is no divine right because of it name or history.

How come Lee bowyer has managed it with zero spend, his making Ross look like a clueless f***ing amateur

That’s last February when I couldn’t take another aimless punt up the pitch. A overly expensive team reduced to anti-football. Look at the abuse... :lol:

We could’ve spent zero and played the same exact way and the finish would have been just as meaningless.

Nice, polite and sensible replies! :lol:
I’m as sensitive as they come, but I just let it wash over me on here. It’s par for the course. There’s usually an opportunity to show the abuser up later, anyway.

Someone was complaining the other day that the shots on target is the main stat we should look at when deciding if we've played well. It's a load of tosh. We were dreadful in the second half at the weekend, but easily matched them in the first. Sometimes chances are created but not converted into a shot on target - a cross into the 6 yard box which the striker can't quite get onto the end of for example. Equally, shots from distance straight into the 'keeper's arms would count as a shot on target. At the end of the day we all watch the match and have different opinions on it, but only using one fairly contrived statistic to hammer the management seems a tad over the top.

I'm also not sure what people would expect Ross to say either tbh - if he slated the players he'd be hammered by folk. I'm not convinced he's the best man for the job, but some people go way over the top.
It’s not a bad metric in the round though is it? Reading we have the least shots on target other than Bolton in the league - surely this is at least a data point that is relevant?
How come Lee bowyer has managed it with zero spend, his making Ross look like a clueless f***ing amateur
We were not as good as charlton, Barnsley and Luton. Arguably all three had at least as bad circumstances at the beginning of last season.

Last edited:
It’s not a bad metric in the round though is it? Reading we have the least shots on target other than Bolton in the league - surely this is at least a data point that is relevant?

We were not as good as charlton, Barnsley and Luton. Arguably all three had at least as bad circumstances at the beginning of last season.

Absolutely relevant mate. But we don't need these stats as we all know we play boring, unattractive, turgid football. Most would accept that if we won 1.0 every week but we don't. We've only achieved 12 victories in 29 games during 2019 to date. That is f***ing shite, no dressing it up any other way.

Yes because football really is that simple isn’t it?

Charlton might not be the most stable club in the world to put it mildly but nowhere near as fucked up as safc was a year or so ago.

We’ve gone through a huge turnaround since the new regime came in and to even be challenging for honours last season was a big achievement imo.

I realise those who simply cannot get past the ‘this is Sunderland, we’re a massive club, huge playing staff budget (not through choice), spent a bit for cash (not necessarily wisely) therefore nothing short of instant success is acceptable’ will never agree with this view.

But meanwhile back in the real world, decent progress has been made. Financially the club seems ok, despite a bad result we seem to have a decent team who can challenge this season.

It’s a tough league though and there are teams (and managers) with more league 1 nous than us. We might go up, we might come up short, who knows we might go to Wembley again, maybe twice. This is sport, just f***ing enjoy it man. If we fail we fail and if you are lucky, life will go on!

Charlton might not be the most stable club in the world to put it mildly but nowhere near as fucked up as safc was a year or so ago.

We’ve gone through a huge turnaround since the new regime came in and to even be challenging for honours last season was a big achievement imo.

I realise those who simply cannot get past the ‘this is Sunderland, we’re a massive club, huge playing staff budget (not through choice), spent a bit for cash (not necessarily wisely) therefore nothing short of instant success is acceptable’ will never agree with this view.

But meanwhile back in the real world, decent progress has been made. Financially the club seems ok, despite a bad result we seem to have a decent team who can challenge this season.

It’s a tough league though and there are teams (and managers) with more league 1 nous than us. We might go up, we might come up short, who knows we might go to Wembley again, maybe twice. This is sport, just f***ing enjoy it man. If we fail we fail and if you are lucky, life will go on!

How dare you be philosophical, do you not care about the league we are in, how humiliating thIs is, you happy clapping apology of a fan. Needless to say I agree with everything you say.
You actually believe it’s the fans fault that we play horrible football?

I have nothing more to say to that... end of discussion for me.

That’s good news
The day that you accept a 3-0 defeat away at Peterborough as ‘one of those things’ is the day you accept a potentially long stay In league 1.

If people are ok with that in the context that we nearly went bust, then fine.

I’m not ok with that tbh.

It’s sport man get over yourself. Our 3-1 win v Burnley was a far bigger football shock!

Last edited:
I like the idea of Ross more than the reality. Young, intelligent, calm. I’m very concerned at some of the stuff he’s said over the summer, though, as it’s completely at odds with modern football. It might be that he’s a bit of a contrarian. The nagging doubt I have, though, is that I think his influence over signings has been overstated. It would not surprise me in the least if his approach is his best attempt at working with what he’s been given by a football structure that has way more power than it has genuine competence. It’s a bit tinfoil, I admit, but there you go.

I think this point is in danger of clouding people's judgement, possibly including mine. He's exactly what I'd hope for in a manager in theory, but we're not seeing much positivity in practice. This supposed parochial viewpoint on modern technological advances and advantages is a worry, too.

He's missing a trick, and possibly more than one.
Final ball wasn't great, but there were a couple of excellent balls put in by leadbitter and we had absolutely no presence in the final third from the forwards. when the ball was put in the right area the forwards were too easily snuffed out, though support was lacking. Contrast that to peterborough who had an attacking game plan and both attacked and defended as a team. Our biggest problems probably came from fullback, both on and off the ball as defensively they were woeful and McLaughlin slowed down or messed up that many attacks having no left foot it was ridiculous.

It's a team problem - if we play two up front, two wingers, two in central midfield and are out numbered centrally as we were on Saturday we can't restrict fullbacks and play our back line so deep and it stretches the team back so much. doesn't make for any sort of support of cohesive play. I appreciate peterborough had two quick strikers we were wary of, but then why play 442 if in that situation you're not going very direct?

Lord help us if other teams take Peterborough's approach and we don't adapt. We'll be opened up regularly every game.
Last season was last season. End of. This season, before our first loss, we were joint top and had just beaten a strong Burnley side. Just skirt around that if you want.

I absolutely love the irony of this post.

Last edited:

Decent progress has been made?

:lol: :lol:

I’ve just realized that there are people on this board who are perfectly happy to get outplayed by Rochdale and Oxford...that it doesn’t matter how bad the club is run. That is fuckin mind blowing to me. :neutral:

Decent progress has been made?

:lol: :lol:

I’ve just realized that there are people on this board who are perfectly happy to get outplayed by Rochdale and Oxford...that it doesn’t matter how bad the club is run. That is fuckin mind blowing to me. :neutral:

I've known it for a while. We could be mid-table in the conference and there would be people slagging off posters who had the temerity to complain.

Ross makes it look tough that's for sure. Enjoy it you say, there's generally nothing whatsoever to enjoy with the rot served up by him. Why you banging on about getting to Wembley, what would be the point with Ross in charge as we'd definitely lose. I've been to Wembley to see safc 7 times, all defeats. The man city weekend was the only one I enjoyed. Didn't bother with the most recent Wembley appearance as I was certain Ross would bottle it, particularly after his disgusting approach to the 2nd half of the chekatrade final.

Ross makes it look tough that's for sure. Enjoy it you say, there's generally nothing whatsoever to enjoy with the rot served up by him. Why you banging on about getting to Wembley, what would be the point with Ross in charge as we'd definitely lose. I've been to Wembley to see safc 7 times, all defeats. The man city weekend was the only one I enjoyed. Didn't bother with the most recent Wembley appearance as I was certain Ross would bottle it, particularly after his disgusting approach to the 2nd half of the chekatrade final.

So Ross is somehow responsible for what went before... let’s face it we were all in a very negative place before he arrived. He’s had a job on his hands pulling us out of 10 years of catastrophic leadership and the pit of despair we were in.
Because of what went before, because of the dismantling and rebuilding of squad simultaneously I think he’s done a sterling job and a lot of fans are disingenuous in their attitude towards him.
He has to get promoted this season... but let’s give him a chance to do that.

So Ross is somehow responsible for what went before... let’s face it we were all in a very negative place before he arrived. He’s had a job on his hands pulling us out of 10 years of catastrophic leadership and the pit of despair we were in.
Because of what went before, because of the dismantling and rebuilding of squad simultaneously I think he’s done a sterling job and a lot of fans are disingenuous in their attitude towards him.
He has to get promoted this season... but let’s give him a chance to do that.

You think he's doing a good job, I don't. It doesn't matter though as the new owners are the people he needs to prove himself to.

I thought their manager got it spot on and ours didn't. They made sure McGeady didn't get a kick, put pressure on us by pressing the ball and played the referee to the full. I also throught some of our senior players had a bad day including the keeper.

Back