“Be like Captain Tom”

Some charities do seem to spend a bit too much on administration but not all of them and it seems a bit too much of a convenient excuse not to bother. If you can't afford it then that's fine but, like it or not, we need charities and therefore we need people to give.

Many people have a very low threshold for “administration”. The problem is, it’s necessary. A charity that doesn’t invest in admin does it badly. Ultimately you have to pay the electricity bill, and pay an accountant, and pay someone to do HR etc etc. No-one likes their donations paying for that but the charity is not going to last without it.

As an example, I had an argument on here once where someone complained about charity staff training costs because they wanted their money to go to “the cause”. At the time I worked in a hospice, and I was trained in infection control. If I didn’t do that, I could have seriously harmed someone, but people don’t see staff training as “the cause”.

No one is saying there should be.

But it shouldn’t be up to people donating to give staff these things to make their lives easier.
priority is healthcare.

it is paid for by taxes to which no one wants to pay as so called everyone is a special case

Wasn't the money raised for NHS charities rather than the NHS itself?
The money has gone into a trust which the family are deciding where to allocate it.
I love Captain Tom and what he did was remarkable.

His daughter however, there’s something that just doesn’t sit right with me.
Her 15 minutes of fame which is mow 2 years and she has a job out of it

The money has gone into a trust which the family are deciding where to allocate it.

Her 15 minutes of fame which is mow 2 years and she has a job out of it
What's worse though? That she has had a spotlight on her and been fortunate in getting a job, or being upset / unsure about it. Live and let live IMO, happy for her if she has inadvertedly benefited, her message here is clearly a positive one and her dad did a great thing.

About 10 :lol: We’re tiny.

800 is canny impressive.

Hospice covering a decent chunk of West Yorkshire. I'd love to see the breakdown of all of them mind you.
I'm not sure how they're all counted but it's a good knock if they're individual volunteers

Back