“Be like Captain Tom”

Oh of course, I’m massively over simplifying. I get that.

but I wonder how many cancer research charities there are worldwide, or even in the U.K.? As well as being hugely inefficient, surely cancer research should be funded through general taxation? Look at what a coordinated response to Covid has done

btw. For those that work for charities, and those that contribute - great. No criticism at all. I just think the system is broken

I'm in the system and I agree.
There's tons of cancer charities. I'm an advocate of tribute funds. It means that a cause already established can get your support, but you have some ownership of what you're doing too. There's no need to set up another charity when a similar one already exists.
wouldnt need charities if gov stopped wasting money on nuclear warheads and git massive aircraft carriers oh and hs2 so can get somewhere quicker by 20 minutes. .

Certainly need a lot less charities if they didn't spaff it on that
Oh and another thing. The mega rich have foundations, it makes them look great.

How about creating a fairer tax system so they don’t accumulate billions?

I’m a capitalist fundamentally, but we have the balance wrong

It's also a way for them to put a lot of money aside so they don't get taxed on it.
The amount it'll accumulate in interest in a year will top up what the foundation gives out I suspect

Last edited:
I'm in the system and I agree.
There's tons of cancer charities. I'm an advocate of tribute funds. It means that a cause already established can get your support, but you have some ownership of what you're doing too. There's no need to set up another charity when a similar one already exists.

Certainly need a lot less charities if they didn't spaff it on that

It's also a way for them to put a lot of money aside so they don't get taxed on it.
The amount it'll accumulate in interest in a year will top up what the foundation gives out I suspect
Too many self indulgent wankers set up ‘their own’ charity, rather than just supporting an existing one

Get over yourself, you’re not the first person to have/lose someone to cancer

Absolutely no slight on the man or what he achieved at all. Clearly a top bloke

But what frustrates me is that we shouldn’t need this kind of thing to raise money for the NHS, that’s why we pay tax. It’s just a shame that it’s diverted into Tory donors’ pockets.

The money he raised wasn’t for the NHS itself, it was for NHS charities. Here is a link to show the sort of stuff that is on offer from them.

Too many self indulgent wankers set up ‘their own’ charity, rather than just supporting an existing one

Get over yourself, you’re not the first person to have/lose someone to cancer

It's a bigger issue than you think.
I totally get people setting up trusts/foundations for their money to be applied for rather than giving it in one go, but the amount of charities which are extremely similar is alarming.

I don't think anyone at the charities commission would have it in them to do anything about it though

The money he raised wasn’t for the NHS itself, it was for NHS charities. Here is a link to show the sort of stuff that is on offer from them.

I know. You’re the third person that has told me this. My point still holds
It's a bigger issue than you think.
I totally get people setting up trusts/foundations for their money to be applied for rather than giving it in one go, but the amount of charities which are extremely similar is alarming.

I don't think anyone at the charities commission would have it in them to do anything about it though
That’s kind of my point about inefficiency. More charities = more overheads = more duplication = less money spent on the cause

Last edited:
Possibly, I will admit to not knowing. The point is the same however, we have a welfare state for these purposes
The money is used to pay for 'extras' such as televisions, decorations, games consoles in kids wards, make the staff room nicer. Not for what the NHS has to provide as part of its services

Well my place has jumped on this opportunity to encourage fundraising

I wonder why you can't share Instagram images like you can twitter etc

Well my place has jumped on this opportunity to encourage fundraising

I wonder why you can't share Instagram images like you can twitter etc

I’d be interested if you get much take up. We’re not (I’m at a medical research charity now) - we just decided that people will probably want to go with his foundation/NHSCT rather than us.

Absolutely no slight on the man or what he achieved at all. Clearly a top bloke

But what frustrates me is that we shouldn’t need this kind of thing to raise money for the NHS, that’s why we pay tax. It’s just a shame that it’s diverted into Tory donors’ pockets.
That’s why the torys are lapping it up
They would have the nhs manned by volunteers and funded by charity if they had the chance

Back