‘Massively unfair’ gulf in bus fares between London and rest of England

People bang on about the environment, but with public transport being so crap for the rest of England, and costs too much, no wonder people have "gas guzzling, co2 emitting monsters" on the road.

And when you look up hybrids or EVs, they slap 10 grand extra onto the price, just cos "it's got a battery"...

If the government are serious about the environment, then they should be making it affordable for people

“Prices were also notably high in Cumbria, where the Stagecoach journey from Ambleside to Grasmere costs £5.65.”

You can get a 7 day ticket for about £30 which covers all of cumbria, a bus across to newcastle, ones down into Lancashire and one upto Dumfries. That is probably even better value than London

“Prices were also notably high in Cumbria, where the Stagecoach journey from Ambleside to Grasmere costs £5.65.”

You can get a 7 day ticket for about £30 which covers all of cumbria, a bus across to newcastle, ones down into Lancashire and one upto Dumfries. That is probably even better value than London

I regularly witness gobsmacked tourists (Both domestic and foreign) arguing with bus drivers over the fares. It's not unusual to see people disembark.

The other half reckons a taxi is marginally more expensive for a couple of miles journey in to town. No standing around at bus stops hoping it turns up, etc too.

I still don't understand why there is a problem with walking it for free mind.

Last edited:
I regularly witness gobsmacked tourists (Both domestic and foreign) arguing with bus drivers over the fares. It's not unusual to see people disembark.

Whenever I have travelled to the lakes from down here on my own I have always used the train rather than the car. Get one of the megarider tickets once there then go off wildcamping, get back to a village and jump on a bus until it took my fancy getting off then wander back into the hills wildcamping again.
Anyone based in the north east can even get there from newcastle on those tickets, absolute bargain.
Could easily do a weeks wildcamping trip for £50 all in I reckon.

Whenever I have travelled to the lakes from down here on my own I have always used the train rather than the car. Get one of the megarider tickets once there then go off wildcamping, get back to a village and jump on a bus until it took my fancy getting off then wander back into the hills wildcamping again.
Anyone based in the north east can even get there from newcastle on those tickets, absolute bargain.

Oh aye, I was merely pointing out the basic fares are ridiculously high and the proof is in how many people are shocked when the driver asks a family or couple for the fare. :)

Pisses me right off when the driver doesn't tell tourists they be better off buying the appropriate Mega ticket. If I'm sat downstairs I'll often shout up and tell them to buy a day rider. :lol:

Oh aye, I was merely pointing out the basic fares are ridiculously high and the proof is in how many people are shocked when the driver asks a family or couple for the fare. :)

Pisses me right off when the driver doesn't tell tourists they be better off buying the appropriate Mega ticket. If I'm sat downstairs I'll often shout up and tell them to buy a day rider. :lol:

It says it all that when a staff member from somewhere does tell you there is a cheaper alternative to something it is seen as great customer service, it should be the norm!!

Sounds fantastic that marra.

When you consider the cost of low cost flying, (just booked return to Budapest for under £30) public transport in this country is ridiculous.

It's going to cost me more for the return train to Doncaster than it is for the flights,!

What is that in Chinese?

Back