‘Manchester Pusher’

Ya wadn't just die though ha'way. Surely if someone is going about pushing people in canals there'd be some survivors.

Probably but not just a case of swimming to the side like in a pool.

Water would be freezing for a start. Fully clothed which get very heavy almost immediately and the initial shock. Will be very dark due to the high sides and most at night. May have hurt or been winded when hit the water.

Then the reality is the nearest ladder might be 50 meters away. Of course in the dark you might not know where it is.

It's a lot harder then people just assume to get out sober. Let alone hammered.

I was a lifeguard for years (Got in to it via the duke of Edinburgh) and depending on where you went in could be a real challenge even for a strong swimmer. Agree there should be more mind.

Last edited:
Serious questions being raised surrounding this, over 80 deaths in 8 years but most evidence has been inconclusive.

Daily Mail I know-
'Manchester Pusher' strikes again as body found in canals | Daily Mail Online

What’s the general consensus here ? Personally I find it hard to believe, but looking at the Manchester Evening News website, locals are getting increasing worried.

Based on the fact mancunians drink like it's their last day on earth, a lot of them must have staggered in

Drunk / drugged men pissing in canals , leaning forward and falling in - in Amsterdam at least a lot of the victims were found with their trousers undone and there’s a medical phenomenon where people can faint briefly while urinating

I've lived in Manchester city centre. there was a canal out the back of my flats.
From what I can remember in the main there were no railings alongside it although you could probably get back out if you were pushed/fell in.

The canal runs through The Village and I can't recall anyone falling in it there recently.
Some of the ones where people have fallen in are off Oxford Road and behind large buildings. They're used as a cut through to Deansgate Locks etc.
It doesn't surprise me one bit that people have fallen in when pissed.
The solutions are these:
1. Close the towpaths over night
2. Put up barriers (not going to stop people going in IMHO)
3. Look after your friends FFS.

In terms of "Manchester Pusher" the only way I can see someone going in the canal and not being heard/seen is if they're
1) Pissed
2) Already unconscious - whack on the bonce and in you go. I've seen no evidence of this though.

Granted there's a case for cold water shock doing people in and I suspect there's a lot of that. But if you're sober, you should be able to get yourself to a position where you can get out - or get help to get you out.

I read up on the pusher a few years ago when the supposed tally was still only 64.

Even if you were sober and someone had put you there and was hanging around to keep you there, then eventually you could succumb. The other comment is there may be a low or next-to-zero incidence around Canal Street due to the sheer numbers of people that go there on a weekend.

A paramedic who I talked to on holiday said 70,000 people passed through Canal Street on a weekend (mainly straight people wanting the party atmosphere) so it would be noticed if someone was pushing people in the water around there and any offender would be caught.

But in general your comments are fair enough.

The pissed student scenario (like Durham and York) is the most likely scenario to me, though I can't comment in the absence of autopsy reports and specifically alcohol levels in recovered bodies. I remember the fuss about safety barriers next to the Wear in Durham and lighting on the path between Milburngate Bridge and the cathedral to create a safe route for drunk students to go home.

That said, pissed people don't necessarily use common sense, so (in Manchester) I don't know how effective closing towpaths and putting up barriers would be.

It is very probably there have been numerous incidents where people have been pushed in as a prank by mates or someone getting one over on, say, students. It may be there have been separate incidents of people being bumped off and dumped in the canals.

But an organised serial killer is a harder one to pin down as surely a clear MO would be apparent by now. The coroner himself is ceptical.

There is one caveat here in that dumping a body in the water would wash away a lot of evidence fromthe surfaces of bodies.

So you never know and there might be something in it.

But even then, we might only be talking about a much, much smaller number of people than the 80 suggested.

Drunk / drugged men pissing in canals , leaning forward and falling in - in Amsterdam at least a lot of the victims were found with their trousers undone and there’s a medical phenomenon where people can faint briefly while urinating

You mean the "whoosh" moment when you just unleash your stream when bursting and your body relaxes just after that initial whoosh? :D

I read up on the pusher a few years ago when the supposed tally was still only 64.

Even if you were sober and someone had put you there and was hanging around to keep you there, then eventually you could succumb. The other comment is there may be a low or next-to-zero incidence around Canal Street due to the sheer numbers of people that go there on a weekend.

A paramedic who I talked to on holiday said 70,000 people passed through Canal Street on a weekend (mainly straight people wanting the party atmosphere) so it would be noticed if someone was pushing people in the water around there and any offender would be caught.

But in general your comments are fair enough.

The pissed student scenario (like Durham and York) is the most likely scenario to me, though I can't comment in the absence of autopsy reports and specifically alcohol levels in recovered bodies. I remember the fuss about safety barriers next to the Wear in Durham and lighting on the path between Milburngate Bridge and the cathedral to create a safe route for drunk students to go home.

That said, pissed people don't necessarily use common sense, so (in Manchester) I don't know how effective closing towpaths and putting up barriers would be.

It is very probably there have been numerous incidents where people have been pushed in as a prank by mates or someone getting one over on, say, students. It may be there have been separate incidents of people being bumped off and dumped in the canals.

But an organised serial killer is a harder one to pin down as surely a clear MO would be apparent by now. The coroner himself is ceptical.

There is one caveat here in that dumping a body in the water would wash away a lot of evidence fromthe surfaces of bodies.

So you never know and there might be something in it.

But even then, we might only be talking about a much, much smaller number of people than the 80 suggested.

You mean the "whoosh" moment when you just unleash your stream when bursting and your body relaxes just after that initial whoosh? :D

Micturition Syncope it’s called

Going from a warm pub out into cold also can exacerbate the drop in blood pressure

Other factors that may play a role in micturition syncope include:

• Alcohol
  • Hunger
  • Fatigue
  • Dehydration
  • Medical conditions, such as a respiratory infection
  • Use of alpha blockers to improve urination in men with prostate problems
Preventing micturition syncope
Micturition syncope is uncommon and should be evaluated by a doctor because it may indicate an underlying medical condition. Prevention of micturition syncope depends on recognizing the factors that contribute to micturition syncope and avoiding them.

Some strategies you might suggest to your husband to avoid micturition syncope and possible resulting injury are:

• Avoid excessive drinking of alcohol
  • Don't get out of bed suddenly — first, sit on the edge of the bed and move your legs, making sure you aren't dizzy or lightheaded
  • Urinate sitting down
  • Ask your doctor whether any medications you're taking may be causing your condition
As much as possible, ensuring the floor from your bed to the bathroom is carpeted or padded also is a good strategy for avoiding injury from a potential fall.

The problem I have with these being accidents is that there are far more canals in Amsterdam and I’d hazard a guess that people there are far more baked than they are in Manchester, and the canals are incredibly easy to fall into (I did). So therefore the Dam should have a far higher canal death rate than Manchester. If it doesn’t, what else does that suggest?
The Dutch are better swimmers?

The problem I have with these being accidents is that there are far more canals in Amsterdam and I’d hazard a guess that people there are far more baked than they are in Manchester, and the canals are incredibly easy to fall into (I did). So therefore the Dam should have a far higher canal death rate than Manchester. If it doesn’t, what else does that suggest?

Now, why doesn't that surprise me? :lol::lol:

It suggests that it might be significant that there are railings between footpaths & a lot of the canals in Amsterdam, whereas there are very few canalside railings in Manchester.
Or a crazed serial killer.

Back