‘Fixing’ a misfiring external hard drive

People telling him to get cloud storage man :lol: It's too late for that lads!

If it's a mechanical failure then chances are you won't be able to fix it. Take it to a (trusted) PC repair shop and ask them to find out what's wrong with it, then shop around for the cheapest fix. That's the only advice I can offer.

Just out of curiosity, what make/model is the HD?

It’s a transcend storejet...

anyone got any contacts or guidance for fixing or attempting to fix an external hard drivee which appears to be goosed. Plug it in and it whirs and clicks, like the head hasn’t parked.

Just got thousands of photos of the kids as bairns on there so keen to save... my kids I hasten to add!
Have a look on you tube, few suggestions on there. Over the years I have lost three, none could be repaired. I always used DVD for back up and still do, the HDD were secondary. USB sticks and SD cards are not as reliable as dvd. Used dvd for over twenty years now still the most reliable. Look on You tube, nothing to lose.

What cloud storage do you use and is it linked to the physical backups automatically?

The cloud automatically backs up anything you want from your PC, phone and tablet to the cloud. In my case BT. You just need to install the app on your device and tell it what you want to back up, the frequency and when. It does it in the background.

Any backups to external drives up are separate - they can stand alone. You could if you wished send those backups to the cloud as well but that would be belt, belt, and two pairs of braces. Unnecessary

yeah I have BT as well.. I get 1tb with them

photos and music on there

but I also put my photos on Prime Drive just in case...then I have 2 externals...but I tend to do only monthly backups on them...its more belt and braces rather then essential

I have my pc internal storage all sectioned as well..so an ssd purely for the OS, a 4tb drive for my steam folder and a 1tb drive for photos and music...so if one drive fails I dont loose everything

plus the photos I really like goto my flickr aacount as well!

Last edited:
My issue is i need somewhere in tbe region if about 10tb and this is growing.

Nrs runs ger own photography business so needs storage thats able to grow.

for that amount of data thats business critical a commercial solution is required... a couple of usb hard drives isnt going to cut it

My issue is i need somewhere in tbe region if about 10tb and this is growing.

Nrs runs ger own photography business so needs storage thats able to grow.
Not perfect if she has other stuff to save but Amazon Prime offers unlimited storage for photos.
You can also get 5TB on OneDrive if you subscribe to Office 365 Professional (1TB for the personal.)
I have my file structure set up so everything automatically backs up to OneDrive.

Not perfect if she has other stuff to save but Amazon Prime offers unlimited storage for photos.
You can also get 5TB on OneDrive if you subscribe to Office 365 Professional (1TB for the personal.)
I have my file structure set up so everything automatically backs up to OneDrive.
Ive built her a server which uses a program called UNRAID. Basically allows you to put different size drives and get redundancy so her data is safe for now. If a drive fails i can pull it out and put a new one in and the data is rebuilt off the other drives. Just looking at online backup of the server.

I had a stuck hard drive years ago and one of the suggestions was to tap it with my knuckles in the centre where the pivot was. That actually worked.

Back