‘Fixing’ a misfiring external hard drive

anyone got any contacts or guidance for fixing or attempting to fix an external hard drivee which appears to be goosed. Plug it in and it whirs and clicks, like the head hasn’t parked.

Just got thousands of photos of the kids as bairns on there so keen to save... my kids I hasten to add!

Have you tried this?

3 Steps to Restore Data from External Hard Drive
  1. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and select the disk storage location where you lost data and click "Scan".
  2. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard will start a quick scan first. ...
  3. Choose the file(s) you want to recover by file types from the scanning results
or

It is good if you have a backup of your important data. However, if you do not make a backup bore, and find the components in your drive are still functioning, you can recover data from the dead hard drive with bootable CD/DVD of data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard WinPE Edition.

or

Data recovery companies are available at a cost.

Best of luck marra.

anyone got any contacts or guidance for fixing or attempting to fix an external hard drivee which appears to be goosed. Plug it in and it whirs and clicks, like the head hasn’t parked.

Just got thousands of photos of the kids as bairns on there so keen to save... my kids I hasten to add!
Id take it apart and remove the actual drive then try it in a PC or even a usb to sata adapter bought from ebay and plug it into a laptop. I was in the same boat myself and ended up deleting the partitions and then ran easus file recovery to get the files back, i keep all my files on a server backed up onto a usb hard disk and all my photos are also in the cloud.

Under no circumstances would i send it to any recovery company, especially online, theyd have your pants down and wont do anything you cant do yourself

Last edited:

Have you tried cleaning the USB port's contacts gently with emery paper, same for the plug?

Its sad that the only time anyone ever takes any notice of - You should have a backup - is when its too late.

I see it all the time on facebook - "I've lost my phone, and I've got pictures of my dead <insert relative> on it".
Sigh.

Id take it apart and remove the actual drive then try it in a PC or even a usb to sata adapter bought from ebay and plug it into a laptop. I was in the same boat myself and ended up deleting the partitions and then ran easus file recovery to get the files back, i keep all my files on a server backed up onto a usb hard disk and all my photos are also in the cloud.

Under no circumstances would i send it to any recovery company, especially online, theyd have your pants down and wont do anything you cant do yourself
sometimes sadly only professional data recovery can do it..it depends really how important the data is

there is a place in sunderland on Doxford Park..so at least you wouldnt have to post it and hope it got there

Last edited:

Apart from transplant the actual disk into another working drive. If the heads are fucked then he sint getting shit off the drive without going to a proper recovery place.

Theres one by the tyne tunnel ive used in the past. No recovery no fee. Cant remember the name of them now.

EDIT Professional Data Recovery Services since 1997

Its sad that the only time anyone ever takes any notice of - You should have a backup - is when its too late.

I see it all the time on facebook - "I've lost my phone, and I've got pictures of my dead <insert relative> on it".
Sigh.
I'm obsessive about it now but it probably took being burgled to really bring it home to me. The book I was working on went but luckily only 5,000 words of it weren't backed up.
As with most things in life, you learn from your mistakes.

We had one that stopped working and had to take it to various places until one of them was finally able to retrieve the data. It did cost a lot of money to do it and not all the data was retrieved.

We bought another one (different brand) to replace it but after a while, that one also stopped working.

Now, I put everything on a Cloud program and don't have to worry about relying on machinal failures.

We had one that stopped working and had to take it to various places until one of them was finally able to retrieve the data. It did cost a lot of money to do it and not all the data was retrieved.

We bought another one (different brand) to replace it but after a while, that one also stopped working.

Now, I put everything on a Cloud program and don't have to worry about relying on machinal failures.

Ultimately all drives WILL fail. Just have to make sure there is a backup somewhere wether its cloud(someone elses computer) or on a second drive.

People telling him to get cloud storage man :lol: It's too late for that lads!

If it's a mechanical failure then chances are you won't be able to fix it. Take it to a (trusted) PC repair shop and ask them to find out what's wrong with it, then shop around for the cheapest fix. That's the only advice I can offer.

Just out of curiosity, what make/model is the HD?

If it's a mechanical failure then chances are you won't be able to fix it. Take it to a (trusted) PC repair shop and ask them to find out what's wrong with it, then shop around for the cheapest fix. That's the only advice I can offer.

Just out of curiosity, what make/model is the HD?

I wouldnt be trusting a HD repair to a local PC shop. Experts in data recovery is what he needs. If that drive is opened in anything other than a clean room hes fucked.

I wouldnt be trusting a HD repair to a local PC shop. Experts in data recovery is what he needs. If that drive is opened in anything other than a clean room hes fucked.
Aye you're probably right. Tbh I don't trust PC repair shops at all. My brother took his laptop in one because the charger wouldn't work and was told he needed a new power adaptor. I fixed the twat in a few hours, it was nowt to do with the power adaptor. I don't even think they looked at the f***ing thing tbh.

Back