£80m Maguire, £45m Dunk, £25m Webster

Webster sold for 22m up front & another 3m add-ons, says Sky. New Championship record, I can't believe it's actually my team. Very good player but his first season ever without a long term injury & was found out (to an extent) vs Wolves in the cup with their high press. 25m, for a Championship defender, hard to believe.
What’s a new Championship record? The fee?

Not sure if it's been covered in here yet, but it looks like Clarke, who signed for Brighton from Portsmouth is now going to be loaned out to Derby. What a weird move, will probably annoy Pompey fans though, so hey ho!

I blame the Chinese offering outrageous sums of cash so I guess we are compensating by inflating our own values. It's a business effect where the players are the market commodity.

Absolute joke.

£25m for a defender from Bristol City.

Can't believe what I'm seeing, really. Maguire is decent enough, but I just can't believe 80 million quid is changing hands for that sort of quality. The game is just beyond all recognition of what it should be.
Can't believe what I'm seeing, really. Maguire is decent enough, but I just can't believe 80 million quid is changing hands for that sort of quality. The game is just beyond all recognition of what it should be.

And, the strangest thing about it is that even Man Utd, England's biggest club by a longest distance, is having to pay massively over the odds to get a centre half in from Leicester, who is decent enough but really nothing special at all. Even they no longer have the pulling power without a shitload of money on the table: that's how far it's gone.

Last edited:
The fees are vastly inflated but I think it's because teams value experience and character more than they did previously. Don't know about Webster, but Dunk and Maguire have both fought their way to the top, are leaders with experience and are model professionals.

Looking at City and Liverpool, not only are they ahead of the rest ability wise, but they seem to have squads without big egos and who buy into the manager's ethos. Compare that to United and Arsenal, who have some obvious rotten eggs.

With De Light, he has all the natural attributes, but he hasn't proved himself yet and is a kid who's probably going to go from earning Championship money to six figures a week. Who knows what effect it will have on him. I think Juve was a smart move for him, but he'd have been a bigger risk for Man United than Maguire.

Back