£511m debt but dividends galore: the Glazers’ legacy at Manchester United

Interesting article by David Conn in today's Guardian.

It's worth a read if only to compare the completely different approaches of two lots of American owners.

Serious allegations were made against Liverpool's recruitment and it's odd that in an article which contrasts the analytical approach from LFC that the Guardian does not at least make passing reference to these allegations.

Serious allegations were made against Liverpool's recruitment and it's odd that in an article which contrasts the analytical approach from LFC that the Guardian does not at least make passing reference to these allegations.

I wasn't aware of the LFC allegations.

Have you got a link?

David Conn is usually spot on with his financial research.

What allegations?
Interesting article by David Conn in today's Guardian.

It's worth a read if only to compare the completely different approaches of two lots of American owners.
and of their owners to ours..

Might need Grumpy Old Man for this but surely there's a legal limit to how much can be paid in dividends if a business is in debt?

Might need Grumpy Old Man for this but surely there's a legal limit to how much can be paid in dividends if a business is in debt?
This is a rich person American business, so I’d be baffled if so.

Yes for yours or mine plumbing firm, or anybody with a degree of morality trying to do things by the books.

It's legal theft. Only way to change things is for the fan base to stop showing up, stop buying shirts and boycott the main sponsors but not enough of them are willing to commit to it

It's legal theft. Only way to change things is for the fan base to stop showing up, stop buying shirts and boycott the main sponsors but not enough of them are willing to commit to it
then the glazers bankrupt the club..

the way to do it is the man city way..appear benevolent but make an absolute fortune under the table..

In the end of the day they pulled a blinder. Secured loans they’ve never paid back baring in mind the sale price is still comparable to the debt. Yet they manage to take tens of millions in dividends each year and now they have a multi billion pound club just by holding onto it and badly managing it. Genius from a business perspective. Shit from a fan perspective.

The thing is though, United have 50 odd thousand ST Holders , many on multi year deals. They have thousands in official fan clubs around the globe from Manchester and Lonndon to Islamabad, Karachi, Delhi and Singapore. It's never going to happen. I know Barcelona use the "More than a club" brand but they are. They're a BRAND, basicially a corporate company within themselves.

The only way the Glazers are going to give that up is by force by the authorites. They're not going to just sell the biggest commerical veichle they ever have or will have for the sake of a couple of billion of dollars.

Back