£4 billion to Pakistan

Which popular press used that headline? You also say it again in your OP so it’s not just like you were trying to use a catchy headline.

You’ve just misread an article somewhere haven’t you?
Sorry Doctor but your analysis is wrong. Headline was on the Express I think. And The Sun. About 2-3months ago. Reared it’s head again on FB in the last month. Surely I would have used it first in the OP and then AGAIN later.

Depends what it funds I suppose. There was a piece on R4 a while ago about British money specifically targeting the heroin routes ran by the Pakistan Taliban. Now I agree that Pakistan should be doing this themselves but if the funding stops the heroin trade goes unchallenged. So what do you do?

Generally I agree though. Why should we fund a failed state ran on mob rule?

Depends what it funds I suppose. There was a piece on R4 a while ago about British money specifically targeting the heroin routes ran by the Pakistan Taliban. Now I agree that Pakistan should be doing this themselves but if the funding stops the heroin trade goes unchallenged. So what do you do?

Generally I agree though. Why should we fund a failed state ran on mob rule?
They have just kicked out 18 international charities as well. There seems to be a deep suspicion of foreign charities over there after Bin Laden was caught

Our foreign aid budget is x% of our GDP or something like that. I forget quite what the amount is but whatever it is its an indecent amount given our domestic issues. A lot of it gets privately trousered by leaders and officials.

This is The Express article...

Fury as £4billion British foreign aid budget used fixing POTHOLES abroad

No mention of £4 billion going to Pakistan.

To be fair - it was probably the RAF that made a fair few of those potholes in the first place.

In principle, I don't have a problem with sending foreign aid - particularly to Commonwealth countries where you could argue we have a moral obligation to assist. However, there have to be strings attached - any money has to benefit the poorest and it should be given on the condition that the recipient nation isn't squandering their own money on vanity projects.

All a muddle to me.W e're told we're in debt and borrowing etc then told we're a rich country .I assume the aid is part or knocking about with the big players to settle our political conscience but it would be nice to know the aid is well used and fitting to the country receiving

Whatever your political persuasion does anyone think it is right that we have given Pakistan £4 billion aid to repair pot-holes in their roads ?
After all, although there is huge poverty there , their the government has invested in nuclear weapons , nuclear power and has a space programme.
Also , does anyone know if the other major European countries donate such sums ?
That can't be right

Link?

Back