£200m Sunderland Blueprint

Heres something for you to think about. Throughout the 80's 90's 00's the main responsibility for regeneration lay with RDA's. These tended to favour Newcastle.
When the Tories abolished them & transfered that responsibility back to councils in 2010, we've seen more investment in Sunderland than I care to remember.
You blame the council for not buying vaux 1st time round. But they probably didnt have the money as when they did buy it, it was via a government grant. The reality probably is that it was ONE NE who are to blame for not buying it first time round.

<<<I agree, Sunderland stagnated during the Tyne and Wear development corp and one north east years....It's one of my suspicions against being part of any combined authority.....and every town and city take note. It's better to fight for regeneration independently than be part of combined authority where one partner takes the lion's share

<<<I agree, Sunderland stagnated during the Tyne and Wear development corp and one north east years....It's one of my suspicions against being part of any combined authority.....and every town and city take note. It's better to fight for regeneration independently than be part of combined authority where one partner takes the lion's share

It’s a difficult one as to some degree we are competing all the time against each other for funding or private investment which becomes disjointed and may actually mean missing out, particularly when it comes to large scale infrastructure projects. Manchester is regarded as the exemplar for this approach however as you say I do wonder what the impact has been on the surrounding towns and cities.

A combined authority which whilst it could push development to a single location, could also seek to fairly distribute investment. I guess people’s scepticism is to do with how investment has been used by other companies such as Tyne and Wear development corporation etc which has created a difficult legacy for the city in some respects.

Spot on.

The issue is a lot of people believe we will always be in the shadow of Newcastle so will shit on any potential developments.
Some proper ***** are questioning why we need more car parking spaces as there is currently no demand whilst ignoring future developments.

Well, I read the Echo the other night, and proposals for the investment just seemed so unambitious to me. Retail parks that'll be shabby in a few years and a few other bits and pieces. Just normal, run-of-the-mill stuff that Sunderland already has and simply perpetuates Sunderland's position.

What Sunderland needs is something that will make other businesses also invest, and the only thing that can be is some restaurants and bars on the riverside that will keep people in the city on a Friday and Saturday night.

Nothing they have proposed will make much difference to Sunderland in terms of private investment. The headline from one of the councillors was something like: "making Sunderland a vibrant city". In practice what they're proposing is more of the same.

Durham is a good example. A few years back, very poor for the type of lively bar and restaurant areas that attract a lot of people spending money which in turn means other businesses see a lively city worth investing in. It's a completely different looking place these days and has a much more lively feel about it - as the result of a bit investment - and if Durham can do it then Sunderland can because Durham was awful 15 or so year back.

Well, I read the Echo the other night, and proposals for the investment just seemed so unambitious to me. Retail parks that'll be shabby in a few years and a few other bits and pieces. Just normal, run-of-the-mill stuff that Sunderland already has and simply perpetuates Sunderland's position.

What Sunderland needs is something that will make other businesses also invest, and the only thing that can be is some restaurants and bars on the riverside that will keep people in the city on a Friday and Saturday night.

Nothing they have proposed will make much difference to Sunderland in terms of private investment. The headline from one of the councillors was something like: "making Sunderland a vibrant city". In practice what they're proposing is more of the same.

Durham is a good example. A few years back, very poor for the type of lively bar and restaurant areas that attract a lot of people spending money which in turn means other businesses see a lively city worth investing in. It's a completely different looking place these days and has a much more lively feel about it - as the result of a bit investment - and if Durham can do it then Sunderland can because Durham was awful 15 or so year back.
Durham is dire

Retail parks?
U read the right article?

Heres something for you to think about. Throughout the 80's 90's 00's the main responsibility for regeneration lay with RDA's. These tended to favour Newcastle.
When the Tories abolished them & transfered that responsibility back to councils in 2010, we've seen more investment in Sunderland than I care to remember.
You blame the council for not buying vaux 1st time round. But they probably didnt have the money as when they did buy it, it was via a governcment grant. The reality probably is that it was ONE NE who are to blame for not buying it first time round.
Even in 1999 we had one of the most cash rich councils in the country.Your defence of their appalling track recird for development and regeneration is quite frankly embarrassing.
No it wasn't. Stop making stuff up. It was formed in 2002.

You're the bloke who thinks Great Britain is made up of four countries.
Look on sunderland arc wiki and yiu will clearly see it was first appointed in 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the page you quoted... :confused:

Sunderland Arc
TypeNon-profit
IndustryRegeneration
Founded2002
HeadquartersSunderland, England

Appointed in 1999 .Look further.
From the page you quoted... :confused:

Sunderland Arc
TypeNon-profit
IndustryRegeneration
Founded2002
HeadquartersSunderland, England

Look under the history of it and you will see it was first appointed in 1999.
Durham is dire
If Durham is dire what does that make this failing city ffs ???

Even in 1999 we had one of the most cash rich councils in the country.Your defence of their appalling track recird for development and regeneration is quite frankly embarrassing.

Look on sunderland arc wiki and yiu will clearly see it was first appointed in 1999.

Im not defending the council. Im blaming the RDA's who were responsible for regeneration & funnelled all the cash off to Tyneside

Whole thing sounds great but why is there no mention of investment for Monkwearmouth Academy? Its desperate for some!

It was not appointed in 1999 ffs. The idea was first mooted in 1999. You're an absolute f***ing whopper man. I worked in regeneration at the time.
Look at the Sunderland ARC wiki history section ffs.How many more times do I have to spell it out.It was first appointed in 1999.
Middlesbrough showing ambition with the things it's building.....something like this on the vaux site

No chance with an unvisionary,failing and backward thinking labour council.Vaux site = another wasted opportunity.
Im not defending the council. Im blaming the RDA's who were responsible for regeneration & funnelled all the cash off to Tyneside
Then you have to ask why didnt our represetative council leader and more impirtantly Labour mp s not give this city a true voice by protesting so this city got its fair share ?

Look at the Sunderland ARC wiki history section ffs.How many more times do I have to spell it out.It was first appointed in 1999.

No chance with an unvisionary,failing and backward thinking labour council.Vaux site = another wasted opportunity.

Then you have to ask why didnt our represetative council leader and more impirtantly Labour mp s not give this city a true voice by protesting so this city got its fair share ?

According to a review of urc by Sunderland council the arc was created in 2002 (see item 3.6)

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/commit...WGewmoAfeNQ16B2MHuCpMRKZMwaG1PaO=ctNJFf55vVA=

In respect to your other point about our elected members not protesting more, I don’t think money wasn’t spent on Sunderland it was just spent in the wrong area in St Peters. which hasnt really done anything specifically for Sunderland in fact it simply divided the university across the city and has separated it from the city centre.

It is, in more ways than one, as there are stories some academies (I have no idea about Monkwearmouth) appearing more to exist as a way to siphon off money than as an educationally-dedicated venture.
It shouldn't be allowed. Who oversees academies? Monkwearmouth has been literally run into the ground. Just seems alot of other secondary schools in Sunderland have had investment over the years and this one has been forgotten and left to rot. Pretty annoying for those of us with kids in outstanding/good local feeder primary schools for Monkwearmouth.

Back