£200m Sunderland Blueprint

It’s a shame the Vaux site isn’t further developed as a venue overlooking the river would be a great location.

Alternatively, Bishopwearmouth green is underused yet quite central to both the Empire area and the southern end of Green Terrace
Too small, trees will have TPOs on them plus it’s green. The space I said is the perfect area. That’s a good area to focus on round there. Plenty space for little pop up events like a Christmas market and other World Cup type fan areas and stuff. Summat like a stack or something similar would get people in round there. That’s the way towns are going rather than shops which are pretty fucked tbh.

Can't say I am too impressed by building a carpark on the Vaux site. That almost comes across as desperate just to get something down on there, although I appreciate the arguments the office workers need somewhere to park (is that carpark next to Vaux connecting to high street M&S not good enough though?)

Pie in the Sky or a new dawn?
Pie in the sky.We ll see the same bluprint repirted in the Echo in 3 years time.The blueprint is pribably expected to be started in the year dot.
Hard to believe that they would sanction £6m on a feasibility study and design of a footbridge that’s not needed and would be impractical. The rest of the suggestions are great.
The pedestrian footbridge is needed.It will open the vaux site and sheepfolds stadium park up to each other.Lets not forget that footbridge was first envisaged circa 2002 but went to Gateshead instead with them getting the funding for it and Sunderland missing out ( again )

Last edited by a moderator:
Pie in the sky.We ll see the same bluprint repirted in the Echo in 3 years time.The blueprint is pribably expected to be started in the year dot.

The pedestrian footbridge is needed.It will open the vaux site and sheepfolds stadium park up to each other.Lets not forget that footbridge was first envisaged circa 2002 but went to Gateshead instead with them getting the funding for it and Sunderland missing out ( again )

Im not sure funding for Gateshead's bridge had owt to do with Sunderlands plans mind.
There was a footbridge on the pictures released by the ARC & Tesco but both of these were just visions of what a fully developed vaux could look like. Theres never been any serious plans to implement a footbridge until now.

Reading the report it does say the footbridge is in its infancy, so probably be about 5 years before it gets built. By which time it should hopefully be needed more with a bit more development around there.

The Gateshead bridge that was completed in 2001?

Im not sure funding for Gateshead's bridge had owt to do with Sunderlands plans mind.
There was a footbridge on the pictures released by the ARC & Tesco but both of these were just visions of what a fully developed vaux could look like. Theres never been any serious plans to implement a footbridge until now.

Reading the report it does say the footbridge is in its infancy, so probably be about 5 years before it gets built. By which time it should hopefully be needed more with a bit more development around there.
Look at the Sunderland arc plans of the early 2000s for the Vaux and yes there was a serious plan to develop this footbridge.The lottery funding was diverted to Gateshead Millenium Bridge.You cant just dismiss recent history away.
The Gateshead bridge that was completed in 2001?
I said circa 2002.It may have been sooner.
Is there a genuine timescale, or is it a coulda, woulda, shoulda never get off the ground grandiose feel-good idea?
Probably right
They should get some tall buildings put up around the city centre

Like that "spirit of Sunderland" building on holmeside that never got built
Over the last 15-20 years there have been loads of grand scale plans that never ever got off the ground.Its hard to belueve there are some muppets who get on here and try to defend this poor excuse of a council.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the Sunderland arc plans of the early 2000s for the Vaux and yes there was a serious plan to develop this footbridge.The lottery funding was diverted to Gateshead Millenium Bridge.You cant just dismiss recent history away.

I said circa 2002.It may have been sooner.

Probably right

The ARC didnt start until 2002. Your dates dont stack up with regards to funding. And I dont think the ARC ever came up with anything serious. There was an artists impression & that was about it. There was nothing put in motion with regards to funding or planning. So like i said it wasnt a serious plan.

The issue is a lot of people believe we will always be in the shadow of Newcastle so will shit on any potential developments.
Some proper ***** are questioning why we need more car parking spaces as there is currently no demand whilst ignoring future developments.
The more capacity for cars, transport and car parks we have the better surely? Last thing you want is to develop everything else and end up gridlocked and nee where to park all the time. Some people are thick as shit like.

One of the idiotic councillirs in the article has the audacity to say that people were skeptucal about Nissan.The Conservatives brought Nissan.He then goes on about Farringdon WATCH THIS SPACE Row which has been a wasteland for over 10 years.The Northern Spire bridge should have been built at least 20 years ago and the Vaux site purchased off Swallow by the said council in 1999 before Tesco as any decent and visionary authority would have done for a prime site city centre location.His arrogant,distorted,and misguided views sums this councillor bloke up.

The ARC didnt start until 2002. Your dates dont stack up with regards to funding. And I dont think the ARC ever came up with anything serious. There was an artists impression & that was about it. There was nothing put in motion with regards to funding or planning. So like i said it wasnt a serious plan.

The issue with the arc proposals is that it was centred on land they did not own therefore it could not be delivered. Think the arc was disbanded prior to the council acquiring the land.
One of the idiotic councillirs in the article has the audacity to say that people were skeptucal about Nissan.The Conservatives brought Nissan.He then goes on about Farringdon WATCH THIS SPACE Row which has been a wasteland for over 10 years.The Northern Spire bridge should have been built at least 20 years ago and the Vaux site purchased off Swallow by the said council in 1999 before Tesco as any decent and visionary authority would have done for a prime site city centre location.His arrogant,distorted,and misguided views sums this councillor bloke up.

I thought they did try to buy it but were outbid by a private organisation?

Of ciurse it was a serious plan.Why spent thoysands on fees to architects,consultants,etc in the first place if not serious.? Sunderland arc turned out to be a failing development company.

Can't say I am too impressed by building a carpark on the Vaux site. That almost comes across as desperate just to get something down on there, although I appreciate the arguments the office workers need somewhere to park (is that carpark next to Vaux connecting to high street M&S not good enough though?)

St Mary’s car park Only has a capacity of 480 car parking spaces and serves the retail of the city centre as well potentially for Vaux. Whilst I’m sure there would be capacity to accommodate both in the early stages later down the line there will be a need to deliver more parking especially if the 600,000sq ft of office space is ever realised. In fairness the car park needs to be built to give confidence to prospective tenants that there is sufficient car parking in proximity to the building they will let. No good building for them if it come 12-18 month after they’ve moved in.

Back