£200m Sunderland Blueprint

They basically want to hike the council tax up so that they can pay for grandiose schemes with your money. Then they'll expect you to be grateful for all the wonderful things they have done, and vote them in next time.

The thing is though, Sunderland has the cheapest council tax in the NE. People then complain at the state of the place.
If you want it nicer then you need to pay for it.

For example residents of Peterlee pay 30% more in CT & have next to no amenities. They do have nice trees though.

They basically want to hike the council tax up so that they can pay for grandiose schemes with your money. Then they'll expect you to be grateful for all the wonderful things they have done, and vote them in next time.
Newcastle are doing the same by something like 2.2% but blaming it on something like a 128m spending deficit. They aren’t saying we’re doing this and that they’re saying they’re going to overspend as they have no choice. Think the main problem with deficit is not wanting to underspend on children’s services. Don’t hold me to all that mind I was dozing off. At least you’re getting nice stuff not blowing it on bairns 🙄

Inside is closed but aren't there three northbound lanes?

Tbh I was one of those nuggets walking traffic side while pissed at the MK Dons game. :oops:
Aye 3 northbound.
2 inside lanes barriered off.
There was one daft twat shouting & banging on the side of a Tesco delivery van after the MK Dons game - your lot??

Bizarre, had a dream last night about designing and building a foot bridge over the wear near the stadium and developing a 'quayside'.The footbridge had a web like design going right around it, so that people couldn't jump from it and brought loads of visitors to the area to see the 'spiders web'. It's happening......

Bizarre, had a dream last night about designing and building a foot bridge over the wear near the stadium and developing a 'quayside'.The footbridge had a web like design going right around it, so that people couldn't jump from it and brought loads of visitors to the area to see the 'spiders web'. It's happening......
Draw a picture in MS Paint please

One lane open only on the Northbound is already the norm.
The inside lane is barriered off for the crowd walking back into he Town.
Mind you there are still nuggets who walk on the traffic side of the barriers.

Exactly this. no issue with the way it is now other than the idiots that try to walk up the roadside of the barriers or who try to cross the bridge at any point other than the crossing points.

As for the pedestrian bridge I suspect It will also be there to link residential and commerixal
Development at Sheepfolds (as per previous stadium park proposals a).

I’d imagine most of the costs would be covered by the potential returns of the various developments, although this is Sunderland council after all. Perhaps another reason why they opted to acquire 100% shares in Siglion?

Last edited:
Good news. I bet the arseholes on the Echos Facebook page will moan though

Yup. Twisting about not needing a new carpark on vaux cos current car parks arent full. Dont they realise its for all the new offices which are getting built there.

Oh and the footbridge. People have moaned for years about getting one. Now that it looks like we are, theyre moaning about it.

Moaning about the money being spent in the centre rather than Hendon or Washington when again people have moaned for years about lack of money spent on the centre.

Yup. Twisting about not needing a new carpark on vaux cos current car parks arent full. Dont they realise its for all the new offices which are getting built there.

Oh and the footbridge. People have moaned for years about getting one. Now that it looks like we are, theyre moaning about it.

Moaning about the money being spent in the centre rather than Hendon or Washington when again people have moaned for years about lack of money spent on the centre.

Car parking is a funny one as to attract office tenants they are likely to need to provide car parking in close proximity to the development yet on the other hand they will be wanting / needing to discourage car use into the city centre, forcing people to use public transport.

There is Grainger Market which is becoming exactly what you say. Sunderland doesn’t have a market which is accessible like that and as pleasing on the eye. They’d have to build something that could House small business ventures that set up small market stalls. It really could work in the town. It can’t however be in bridges as it needs to be around already established bars and around the area of the firestation/empire would be ideal for it. There’s going to be the hotel and vaux round there so would have plenty people around.

It’s a shame the Vaux site isn’t further developed as a venue overlooking the river would be a great location.

Alternatively, Bishopwearmouth green is underused yet quite central to both the Empire area and the southern end of Green Terrace

Aye that’s about all it would be and money would be better spent on something more worthwhile.

I agree with the second point and it’s good to see.

Something like that would be better where crowtree was. Even a container village there could work. Few decent bars round there it should be used for entertainment purposes.
Be nice to get an Ice rink at Crowtree
Would cost nothing to close the northbound lanes of the bridge for 30 minutes before and after games. Problem solved. In fact I'm amazed this doesn't happen anyway on safety grounds. You could even leave a lane open for emergency services and buses.
It should happen now but for some reason doesn't. We shouldn't shy away from improbing the City in any way possible. Linking Vaux with sheepfolds directly can only be a good thing long term. Just because both are unsued now doesn;t mean they wont be moving forward.

Last edited:

Back