£1k to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaDMaCKeM

Midfield
OK, the wife (no) has told me I can have £1k for my 50th birthday present to spend on photo gear.
Trouble is I don't know what to get with it! I have currently a 7D, Canon 15-85mm,canon 100mm maro, Canon 55-250, Sigma 10-20mm and 150-500mm. Canon 550ex Flash and 2x yongnous for strobist stuff + various gadgets and filters etc. 2 bags and a Giottos tripod and head, a small velbon tripod and a 7day shop monopod.

What would you buy to complement my setup and why?

OK, the wife (no) has told me I can have £1k for my 50th birthday present to spend on photo gear.
Trouble is I don't know what to get with it! I have currently a 7D, Canon 15-85mm,canon 100mm maro, Canon 55-250, Sigma 10-20mm and 150-500mm. Canon 550ex Flash and 2x yongnous for strobist stuff + various gadgets and filters etc. 2 bags and a Giottos tripod and head, a small velbon tripod and a 7day shop monopod.

What would you buy to complement my setup and why?
upgrade camera to FF. 6d or 5d mkII.

Aye but 3 of my lenses aren't FF means I've got too much mix and match
shit, i did scan your list as well - sigma is a big loss. I knaa having just sold my Tok yesterday. :-(

For 1k, body upgrade from APSC to FF is the biggest leap.

Could be worse. I've got nee money and desperately want the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 (both version ii's :lol:)

They will be mine (oh yes. they will be mine!)

Could be worse. I've got nee money and desperately want the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 (both version ii's :lol:)

did ye get the 40m pancake marra?

I have been looking at the 24-70 2.8. Will take all of money and some more tho! Awful lot for a hobby! Could sell the 15-85 to compensate for it tho ;)

I have been looking at the 24-70 2.8. Will take all of money and some more tho! Awful lot for a hobby! Could sell the 15-85 to compensate for it tho ;)

That's what I said. I've just added all my gear up for insurance purposes and I've spent £6.5k in just over 2 years :eek::(

I looked at a few but decided to go with photoguard. They weren't the cheapest but covered what I wanted which was mainly cover abroad incase I take another job outside the UK. Plus I loaned mucky my 7D, thought I better get insured first :lol:

did ye get the 40m pancake marra?
Nope. Still want it like, for times when I can't be bothered to lug anything about and just want a lightweight DSLR. Still recommend it for the price aye?[DOUBLEPOST=1376934473][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just bought one of these after reading some very good reviews. Just over £600, grey import. The canon 24-70 2.8 ii was too much of a stretch currently.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron-24-70mm-2p8-vc-usd

I'm kind of covered with my 24-105 anyway so think I'll go for the 70-200 first. Plus I've got some events coming up so the extra reach on the 70-200 will come in useful.

I think seeing as it's your 50th take the cash and blow it on drugs and prostitutes ;)

Looking at your kit in all fairness I don't see anything you really need... how about using the money to go on a photography holiday instead? Either a tour guide type trip or just some flights, hire a car and take your camera?

I think seeing as it's your 50th take the cash and blow it on drugs and prostitutes ;)

Looking at your kit in all fairness I don't see anything you really need... how about using the money to go on a photography holiday instead? Either a tour guide type trip or just some flights, hire a car and take your camera?
Good idea that like.

We are planning a trip to Iceland, but the Wife has to come with me! It has its complications as she drives and is disabled and can only drive automatics and I cant drive (yet) The other problem is the cold is really bad for her but she really wants to see the Aurora.

We are planning a trip to Iceland, but the Wife has to come with me! It has its complications as she drives and is disabled and can only drive automatics and I cant drive (yet) The other problem is the cold is really bad for her but she really wants to see the Aurora.

The majority of hire cars in Iceland are automatics. Bear in mind a lot of their tourist trade comes from Canada and the USA where autos are the norm.

We went in late August, it is dark enough for aurora and temperatures do not drop below about 4-5 degrees on a night.[DOUBLEPOST=1376943823][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangerous_astro/sets/72157631326465214/

Last edited:
The majority of hire cars in Iceland are automatics. Bear in mind a lot of their tourist trade comes from Canada and the USA where autos are the norm.

We went in late August, it is dark enough for aurora and temperatures do not drop below about 4-5 degrees on a night.[DOUBLEPOST=1376943823][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangerous_astro/sets/72157631326465214/

Wouldn't have thought it would be dark enough, that sounds promising temperature wise cause the cold is bad for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back