£125 application, £25 non refundable, £100 paid by successful applicant only

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilki

Striker
My daughter (NO) looking to rent a house and she has to pay the above to just apply, plus bond plus a months rent. The application fee sounds like a right bloody rip off! Is this common?

My daughter (NO) looking to rent a house and she has to pay the above to just apply, plus bond plus a months rent. The application fee sounds like a right bloody rip off! Is this common?
No, but if you let them get away with it, they'll take it. Sounds like the usual grasping of a letting agent.

Insist on dealing with a landlord direct - letting agents will bleed her dry. There will be admin fees, tenancy renewal fees every 6 months, withholding of the deposit when she leaves for a "professional clean". I've heard of a lot more, and usually they do SFA when there is a problem with the property. Utter parasites.

Not every applicant pays the £100 ?

It's not expensive at all , paid more than that to rent through coopers on sea road 12 years ago - will be to cover credit searches probably

Not every applicant pays the £100 ?

It's not expensive at all , paid more than that to rent through coopers on sea road 12 years ago - will be to cover credit searches probably

I never paid an application fee when renting in the same period you mention.

Why don't they make a credit search one of the last checks they do therefore saving some applicants the cost?

It's a money making scheme.

Sounds cheap to me, paid higher admin fees for my last couple of places (Sheffield and London). Presumably she'll only lose the non-refundable part if she fails the check and she'll know what their criteria are for earnings before she applies. Month or six weeks bond plus a month rent up front is standard everywhere.

its a bit ambiguous. could read that as sounding like a very expensive lottery ticket :confused:

in consideration of the total costs incurred across (i assume) a 12 month contract, £125 isnt a lot of money if the property is the right one for her. you could refuse in principle but if she ends up with something inferior further down the line its probably £125 well spent.

My admin fees for this flat were in excess of £400!

£125 is cheap!
They should be zero. The letting agent works for the landlord, not you. When dealing direct with landlords, I've found they charge you zero anything fees.

If the landlord can't deal direct, then the fees should be charged to them - it's because the agent is doing the work for the landlord. There's no benefit to the tenant.

They should be zero. The letting agent works for the landlord, not you. When dealing direct with landlords, I've found they charge you zero anything fees.

If the landlord can't deal direct, then the fees should be charged to them - it's because the agent is doing the work for the landlord. There's no benefit to the tenant.

its about supply and demand though - if their properties are good and they think they can justify it people will need to live with it. if its unreasonable then people will just go elsewhere. the landlord isnt dealing direct because he cant be arsed and is prepared to take a knock where needed.

its about supply and demand though - if their properties are good and they think they can justify it people will need to live with it. if its unreasonable then people will just go elsewhere. the landlord isnt dealing direct because he cant be arsed and is prepared to take a knock where needed.
It's about exploitation. The fees charged bare no relation to the work done. In many cases I've heard, fees are charged when no work has been done, particularly in seeking references. It's particularly grating as housing is a basic need, not a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back