£10bn lost in tax credit fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
A childless singleton can get by easily on around £5-6k pa + rent & work travel costs.

Rent will be say £400 pcm. As its minimum wage, chances are it'll be local within walking distance.

So I'd say yes in the NE you can live on NMW providing theres no costs to get to work. However if you're living down south, rents are much higher.

A couple of hundred pounds a week with half gone on rent you reckon is living easily? Also that was a pretty small section of the population you pickedas an example there.

A couple of hundred pounds a week with half gone on rent you reckon is living easily? Also that was a pretty small section of the population you pickedas an example there.

If there's 2 parents & they're both working earning NMW, then you've got an extra £11k + child benefit for the cost of bringing up the kids.

And lowering the thresholds massively. 40% used to be near £40k, its nearer to £30k these days. That's a 20% increase in tax on about £8k of earnings - A massive rise.

and increasing the personal allowance.

Back in 2010/11 the bands were roughly

0% - 6.5k
20% - 37.5k

So someone earning £50k would've paid £9.9k in income tax. Next year that'll be £9.8k

If there's 2 parents & they're both working earning NMW, then you've got an extra £11k + child benefit for the cost of bringing up the kids.

You couldn't live on it, not without subsidies or top ups. Child care is about £4 an hour so one of the parents is working for just over 2 quid an hour. Rates, council tax, fuel bills, food, tv licence, clothes, nappies the list is endless.

You couldn't live on it, not without subsidies or top ups. Child care is about £4 an hour so one of the parents is working for just over 2 quid an hour. Rates, council tax, fuel bills, food, tv licence, clothes, nappies the list is endless.

Obviously everyones circumstances are different. But for many it will be easily do-able.

Childcare costs can be avoided by having the grandparents babysit (as above I know this isn't an option for all). This is what many of my work collegues do. Nappies, use proper ones, not disposable. Its cheaper & envirnmentally friendly.

If travel costs are a problem, them try & find something closer, as there's always shop work going in local town centres etc

Last edited:
Obviously everyones circumstances are different. But for many it will be easily do-able.

Childcare costs can be avoided by having the grandparents babysit (as above I know this isn't an option for all). This is what many of my work collegues do. Nappies, use proper ones, not disposable. Its cheaper & envirnmentally friendly.

If travel costs are a problem, them try & find something closer, as there's always shop work going in local town centres etc

Shops are closing all over the country more so in areas like the NE. Jobs are not as available as you think.
If you didn't use gas or electricity, walked everywhere, used family as babysitters, ate the cheapest food, clothed yourself in rags, found a very cheap slum type rental as a home, then maybe you could live on it. Very nice while Mr Tesco turns up the heat on his indoor pool before a few lengths.

Tax Credits dont go your pay slip.

Could swear he did. I saw it. This was about 2004.

There was definitely something there for hundreds of pounds.

I've already posted what 37 hrs would work out at = £102. 23p pr month- £61 tax - £41 . 23p NI, I know this because I've just copied it from a pay slip.
Tax credits are fine, you have to be able to get them though, not all qualify and before long, no fucker will, whatever way you look at it the lower paid are ripped off left right and centre.

Everyone is being ripped off. But in terms of income taxation, the lower paid do quite well.

11% Tax + NI for a full time minimum wage worker isn't bad at all.

thats what I was thinking. It'll probably be a new starter who's had the wrong tax code & a back dated correction

He'd been there years. Certainly before I started, and it was about 6 months after I'd been there before I met the bloke.

Which bit of basic rate did you not understand?

Sorry? Don't see your point (honestly.)

Shops are closing all over the country more so in areas like the NE. Jobs are not as available as you think.
If you didn't use gas or electricity, walked everywhere, used family as babysitters, ate the cheapest food, clothed yourself in rags, found a very cheap slum type rental as a home, then maybe you could live on it. Very nice while Mr Tesco turns up the heat on his indoor pool before a few lengths.

Think your over exaggerating it bit there. Anyone who's a bit money savvy & not overally materialistic would have more than enough to clothe/feed/keep themselves warm. In fact if a couple held of having kids for 5-6 year, they could save a canny sum which would either be;
a) enough to by their little colliery terrace house outright
b) a decent deposit for somewhere much nicer, which the new mortgage would be less than their old rent.

Think your over exaggerating it bit there. Anyone who's a bit money savvy & not overally materialistic would have more than enough to clothe/feed/keep themselves warm. In fact if a couple held of having kids for 5-6 year, they could save a canny sum which would either be;
a) enough to by their little colliery terrace house outright
b) a decent deposit for somewhere much nicer, which the new mortgage would be less than their old rent.

Saving up to buy a house when you are earning six quid an hour each? It'll be two cars in the double garage next. Sorry like but there's only one of us exaggerating and it isn't me.

Saving up to buy a house when you are earning six quid an hour each? It'll be two cars in the double garage next. Sorry like but there's only one of us exaggerating and it isn't me.

why not? nearly £22k after tax between 2 working 37.5hrs/week
Less £4.5k rent
less £4k house running cost
less £2k food

£4/5k for travel expenses, clothes & luxuries is reasonable

Should be able to save £7-8k a year easily if they put their mind to it.

why not? nearly £22k after tax between 2 working 37.5hrs/week
Less £4.5k rent
less £4k house running cost
less £2k food

£4/5k for travel expenses, clothes & luxuries is reasonable

Should be able to save £7-8k a year easily if they put their mind to it.
You live in cloud cuckoo land son! when do you move out of your parents house?

Are you on, or have you ever lived on minimum wage, in your own place?

When I bought my house, was earning about £6 p/h. NMW was around £5 then. Even then, I had a couple of hundred left at the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back