£1000+ to fix my air con?

Even if its a grand, no ta. Buying cars is a pain in the arse, and you never know what hidden issues you're inheritting. A grand to have it back to perfect is nowt really.

4 year old, had since new, and plan to have for at least another 4 years, probably run this car until it totally falls apart. £17000 over 10 years is still £140 a month, every month. Its the only way the financials make sense.
Plus, its a smashing car, and is great for towing my caravan.

I might, however, give it back to the wife again at some point and get myself something new ;)

I don't want to buy another new car (waste of money), and why would I swap a 4 year old car for another 2-4 year old car and pay £2-5k for the privilege of driving a car that probably hasn't been as well looked after as the one I already have?
That makes no sense when I can just spend a grand and have a perfect 4 year old car that I really like?

I haven't had one without it since the 90's. Nowt worse than being hot in a car, especially when I spend 90minutes every day in it.
Who wants to open a window in a traffic jam? Minging.
Problem is things go wrong after a few years and ends up costing more than it would be to buy a new one! This has cost you a grand that's £83 a month for a year extra. To me if it's going wrong I'd buy another one over the 3 years I normally do. Then most things are covered by the warranty.

Problem is things go wrong after a few years and ends up costing more than it would be to buy a new one! This has cost you a grand that's £83 a month for a year extra. To me if it's going wrong I'd buy another one over the 3 years I normally do. Then most things are covered by the warranty.
Lost £10k value in 3 years though. And if I buy another new car, that will lose £10k in 3 years too. So if I spend less than £10k in the next 3 years, I'm up - depreciation is now about £1k per year, so I've got £7k to spend on repairs before I lose out.

This has cost me £1k and its the first repair the car has had in 4 years. Although £300 ish for a new water pump and belt a few months back, but that's routine maintenance on top of regular servicing and MOT work.
Only got 45,000 on the clock.

Ouch, should have leased one, or bought a 2/3 year old depreciated one instead. No doubt you did the sums though.
That's what a lease is. You pay the depreciation. A £25,000 car won't be worth more than £15,000 after 3 years, surely?

Anyway, garage called - they've got no idea what the fault is after having the car for the day. I'm so sick of this f***ing problem. This is the 4th day I've been without my car because of it, and I'm not going to get it back until at least Monday night. If I'm lucky.
The fella practically said "do you really want to bother". FFS.

Last edited:
That's what a lease is. You pay the depreciation. A £25,000 car won't be worth more than £15,000 after 3 years, surely?

Anyway, garage called - they've got no idea what the fault is after having the car for the day. I'm so sick of this f***ing problem. This is the 4th day I've been without my car because of it, and I'm not going to get it back until at least Monday night. If I'm lucky.
The fella practically said "do you really want to bother". FFS.
Who did you take it to in the end?

Who did you take it to in the end?
The place in Sunderland beside the cinema. Really hope they can crack it, its doing my head in.

They seemed to disagree with the first garage though, they say its not the compressor as the gauges aren't going off the scale, but the high pressure sensor says it is - which would usually mean a faulty high pressure sensor - but that's been replaced twice already.

The place in Sunderland beside the cinema. Really hope they can crack it, its doing my head in.

They seemed to disagree with the first garage though, they say its not the compressor as the gauges aren't going off the scale, but the high pressure sensor says it is - which would usually mean a faulty high pressure sensor - but that's been replaced twice already.
Might have been worth an auto electrician look to find any possible fault codes?

Might have been worth an auto electrician look to find any possible fault codes?
Aye, that's been done.
The place its at is an Auto Electricians. The place it was at the first time have all the VAG Dealer-spec diagnostic kit too. The error code does point to the high pressure switch, but its been replaced twice.

Aye, that's been done.
The place its at is an Auto Electricians. The place it was at the first time have all the VAG Dealer-spec diagnostic kit too. The error code does point to the high pressure switch, but its been replaced twice.
Might be a Italian manufacturer of the switch. :lol:

Back