£1000+ to fix my air con?

Time for a trade in me thinks
Even if its a grand, no ta. Buying cars is a pain in the arse, and you never know what hidden issues you're inheritting. A grand to have it back to perfect is nowt really.

4 year old, had since new, and plan to have for at least another 4 years, probably run this car until it totally falls apart. £17000 over 10 years is still £140 a month, every month. Its the only way the financials make sense.
Plus, its a smashing car, and is great for towing my caravan.

I might, however, give it back to the wife again at some point and get myself something new ;)

If I had to spend a grand on an Air con part then id just get a new car
I don't want to buy another new car (waste of money), and why would I swap a 4 year old car for another 2-4 year old car and pay £2-5k for the privilege of driving a car that probably hasn't been as well looked after as the one I already have?
That makes no sense when I can just spend a grand and have a perfect 4 year old car that I really like?

This. Never had a car with AC .
I haven't had one without it since the 90's. Nowt worse than being hot in a car, especially when I spend 90minutes every day in it.
Who wants to open a window in a traffic jam? Minging.

Last edited:
Even if its a grand, no ta. Buying cars is a pain in the arse, and you never know what hidden issues you're inheritting. A grand to have it back to perfect is nowt really.

4 year old, had since new, and plan to have for at least another 4 years, probably run this car until it totally falls apart. £17000 over 10 years is still £140 a month, every month. Its the only way the financials make sense.
Plus, its a smashing car, and is great for towing my caravan.

I might, however, give it back to the wife again at some point and get myself something new ;)

I don't want to buy another new car (waste of money), and why would I swap a 4 year old car for another 2-4 year old car and pay £2-5k for the privilege of driving a car that probably hasn't been as well looked after as the one I already have?
That makes no sense when I can just spend a grand and have a perfect 4 year old car that I really like?

I haven't had one without it since the 90's. Nowt worse than being hot in a car, especially when I spend 90minutes every day in it.
Who wants to open a window in a traffic jam? Minging.

get a porchse mate or a jag like some of the flashy fuckers in here...must be some daft wages nocking about in here either that or a few mid-life crisis

The car is a SEAT Exeo 2013 143PS Diesel. So its basically the standard VW Air Con system of the day.

And I use my air con all the time, I hate being warm in the car AND the AC is great for demisting in winter. Its also cheaper than opening the window if you're going over about 20mph.
Vee dubs in bill quay, pelaw break vw audi and seat motors so will probley have a used compressor for your model. Then its just a case of swapping it and a regass. Shouldnt be more than 3-400 quid if you go that route.

Vee dubs in bill quay, pelaw break vw audi and seat motors so will probley have a used compressor for your model. Then its just a case of swapping it and a regass. Shouldnt be more than 3-400 quid if you go that route.
Will give these a shout mate as I need a few bits n bobs for me mk4 golf.

Hasnt aircon been standard in even the lowest spec cars since about 2002? WTF are you driving?
I’ve had it but it’s never worked. I was taking to a mechanic this week and he said it was rare to find any car over 3 year old with working ac that hadn’t be regassed.

Did the SMB boffins ever conclud if it used more fuel running the compressor or having a window down?

get a porchse mate or a jag like some of the flashy fuckers in here...must be some daft wages nocking about in here either that or a few mid-life crisis
I’ve got a Porsche. I’ve had to rebrand the term ‘the car needs petrol’ to ‘the beast needs feeding’ just to stop myself crying over the fuel costs.

I’ve had it but it’s never worked. I was taking to a mechanic this week and he said it was rare to find any car over 3 year old with working ac that hadn’t be regassed.

Did the SMB boffins ever conclud if it used more fuel running the compressor or having a window down?

The main reason for this is that the seals in an AC system are designed to be lubricated by the gas that flows through them. Loads of people switch the AC off outside of summer "to save money", and this means the entire system goes "dry".
Then the gas escapes.

The crossover for whether its cheaper to run the AC vs opening a window is somewhere between 25-40mph. But really, you have to consider which is better too - a draft isn't the same as actually cooling and drying the air. Plus, its stopping all kinds of dust and pollution getting into your car.

Just been told I'm looking at over a grand to fix my air con.
It cuts out when I'm driving at anything about about 1500rpm, apparently its a pressure valve in the compressor.

Does anyone know any good places that either recondition compressors (its only 4 years old ffs), or sell good aftermarket ones (and fit them) at a more reasonable price?

Happy to drive from Darlo to Newcastle for the right place.
I used the place in Sheepfolds about 8 years ago - is that place still there? Is it any good?

Thanks.
Just open the window mate, a lot cheaper.

The main reason for this is that the seals in an AC system are designed to be lubricated by the gas that flows through them. Loads of people switch the AC off outside of summer "to save money", and this means the entire system goes "dry".
Then the gas escapes.

The crossover for whether its cheaper to run the AC vs opening a window is somewhere between 25-40mph. But really, you have to consider which is better too - a draft isn't the same as actually cooling and drying the air. Plus, its stopping all kinds of dust and pollution getting into your car.
Wind in your hair and music blaring is cooler though.

The car is a SEAT Exeo 2013 143PS Diesel. So its basically the standard VW Air Con system of the day.

And I use my air con all the time, I hate being warm in the car AND the AC is great for demisting in winter. Its also cheaper than opening the window if you're going over about 20mph.
Just drop a few clem and you won't overheat.

Back