£1 million a week for Haaland

Course I can justify it. It's capitalism. You want a better spread of wealth among the people, vote for a government that will tax the corporations and ultra-rich properly. There are traders and bankers and CEOs earning eye-watering sums and paying diddly squat into the country. Hows about we go after them, instead of a footballer? Amazon sales blew past £13.7bn in 2020, and it paid £293m in tax. That's about 2%. What % of your income did you have to pay as tax?

Thing is, Haaland is one of, if not the most 'valuable' players in the game. His wage should reflect the demand for his services. If a company can afford to pay him that wage, why do you care? It's not your money they're spending, especially amongst the clubs who're after him. His wage will be offset by their income, which match tickets make up a small proportion.
no company patyst tax on its sales, but on its profits...

Ok. Get ready for £1500 season tickets and £100 match tickets
Going to have to take another run at this, aren't I?

Match tickets and season ticket do not make up the lions share of a club's income. That's TV deals, commercial sponsorship and so on. If a Man City fan's season ticket cost £300 before, it's not going to lurch up to £1500 just because they sign Haaland.
no company patyst tax on its sales, but on its profits...

Never been good with this finance lark :lol:
Don't care how much somebody likes playing football. When that contract is signed and guaranteed, how the fuck do you stay motivated knowing you have won all the money in the world.
For some, there's always more money to be made, for others it's wanting to be the best, to win the most trophies, awards or whatever.

Last edited:
sigh..because in law a company is a seperate legal entity from the individuals who own it..its a legal entity that can, for example, sue and be sued in its own right, and the debts of a company are not the debts of an individual, and the assets of a company are not the assets of an individual,...so, a footballers playing rights cannot be owned by a company that isnt the football club..because for a football club to be allowed to register a player with the FA-ie to be allowed to field that player in a recognised competition of the football association or the premier league..their football rights must be owned by the club..and therefore cannot be owned by a different company to the club..if a company owns a players rights...then the player, in law, doesnt own them, and therefore cannot sign a contract with a football club.
if the company that owns them seigns a contract with the football club to transfer the rights of the player..that would be third party ownership..which is against FA rules and for which West Ham got fined..
Part of the reason Rangers folded stemmed from them using EBT’s to avoid paying players a salary while avoiding income tax.

It’s as illegal as it gets

Kildare is right (for once) - players are PAYE

There have been countless examples of players wage slips being leaked - they’re just like the working man’s... except the many extra 0’s on them
The husband of a friend of mine worked at the bank where Chelsea players had their accounts and they were definitely PAYE.

Mind, He said he lost count of the number of times a first team player would call up because he's got a big bill due, or they're going out that night and have no money. So they had to sort out basically a pay-day loan for these blokes on >£50k a week.

Every NBA and NFL franchise carries at least a couple of near $1m a week players. Without a transfer system. I can still go and watch a game for £50.

Football would and will find a way. Media is the golden cash cow. Fans aren’t funding the club with season tickets of individual match admission anymore. The cult of club is the plethora of additional ways you can show just how much your club means to you - that’s the global money spinner the extent to what the local fan base can be monetised is probably maxed out.

Although Real Madrid found out that the galactico model wasn’t sustainable. The quest of la decima has nearly killed them - if they weren’t the Kings club it may have done.

The phrase “sorry boss you are paying me too much” has never been uttered.

Kildare is right (for once) - players are PAYE

There have been countless examples of players wage slips being leaked - they’re just like the working man’s... except the many extra 0’s on them
Yes

Match tickets and season ticket do not make up the lions share of a club's income. That's TV deals, commercial sponsorship and so on. If a Man City fan's season ticket cost £300 before, it's not going to lurch up to £1500 just because they sign Haaland.

Never been good with this finance lark :lol:

For some, there's always more money to be made, for others it's wanting to be the best, to win the most trophies, awards or whatever.
We shall see. I’m not talking in the near future but if haaland gets anywhere near a million a week, all the rest will want comparable and up to that amount

then the ticket prices will rocket. To deny that is naive . It’s happening in front of faces from the premier league launch onwards

Last edited:

your right..its not the bulk..maybe 20pc
If Kyril wishes to use up a small part of his trust fund on this then I’d reluctantly agree with it.
obviously your being ascestious..but to sign him the fees etc would be 10 per cent of our owners net worth, then the wages on a four year deal aother 10 per cent or more.im making the point to illustrate just how much money it is, rather than to have a pop at anyone..

Yes

We shall see. I’m not talking in the near future but if haaland gets anywhere near a million a week, all the rest will want comparable and up to that amount

then the ticket prices will rocket. To deny that is naive . It’s happening in front of faces from the premier league launch onwards
But it's not? the wages of players have been rising at incredible rates, but while ticket prices for PL teams have risen, they are still affordable. How much was a season ticket when the Stadium of Light opened? How much were they in your last season in the top flight?

It bears repeating because it doesn't seem to be getting through. Gate receipts aren't as important to a Premier League club's finances as they once were,
Logon or register to see this image

Even in the short period between 2010 and 2017 Gate Receipts went from being 19% to 7% of the total. Broadcasting was 59%, it ended up 76%. In 2016 you got nearly as much from Conference, banqueting and catering as you did from gate receipts.

But it's not? the wages of players have been rising at incredible rates, but while ticket prices for PL teams have risen, they are still affordable. How much was a season ticket when the Stadium of Light opened? How much were they in your last season in the top flight?

It bears repeating because it doesn't seem to be getting through. Gate receipts aren't as important to a Premier League club's finances as they once were,
Logon or register to see this image

Even in the short period between 2010 and 2017 Gate Receipts went from being 19% to 7% of the total. Broadcasting was 59%, it ended up 76%. In 2016 you got nearly as much from Conference, banqueting and catering as you did from gate receipts.
sunderland were exceptionally low though..with very cheap tickets and loads of freebies..that was the problem

£1m a week? He’s just played two full games against Man City and not had a shot on target.

Be lucky to get £500,000 a week now poor lad.

Back