£1 Liverpool Houses.

Anyone watch the C4 programme?
What a complete mess by Liverpool Council. They have all these dilapidated empty houses, streets of them, that decide to offer at a £1 a go though the big flaw here is that many of them aren't theirs to sell. Seems 5 years back they bought them by compulsory order via central Govt loans with legal restrictions that they be demolished for future deveopment. Some folks £40k spent on the refit to discover this demolition restriction on their property. The increasingly nervous Housing Officer bundled out in front of cameras to bluff it out.
Break ins, poor take up. It doesn't look good.
its a total cock up , the buyers cant sell for 5 yrs , its obvious whats gonna happen then , the only people who will take on the renovated properties will be landlords who will move all the wrong sorts in , the area will rapidly decline and all those that have invested here will be stuck.

That was a better scheme because the council renovated all of the houses at the same time, so you didn’t have the same problems that have appeared in Liverpool.

The least that Liverpool council could have done is to provide security in the streets overnight and ensured that all renovations started at the same time, and finished at the same time. It’s a proper cock up worthy of Sunderland as it is.

I've only got 80p but should be able to get the rest by the end of next week if they are still for sale then.

Anyone watch the C4 programme?
What a complete mess by Liverpool Council. They have all these dilapidated empty houses, streets of them, that decide to offer at a £1 a go though the big flaw here is that many of them aren't theirs to sell. Seems 5 years back they bought them by compulsory order via central Govt loans with legal restrictions that they be demolished for future deveopment. Some folks £40k spent on the refit to discover this demolition restriction on their property. The increasingly nervous Housing Officer bundled out in front of cameras to bluff it out.
Break ins, poor take up. It doesn't look good.

The Council are absolute f***ing liars. Fobbing people off with bullshit. The poor people who are trying to move in / renovate need these properties watched by a proper security firm until there is a large group of people living in these streets. The residents and properties are sitting ducks currently. (Episode 2)

That was a better scheme because the council renovated all of the houses at the same time, so you didn’t have the same problems that have appeared in Liverpool.

The least that Liverpool council could have done is to provide security in the streets overnight and ensured that all renovations started at the same time, and finished at the same time. It’s a proper cock up worthy of Sunderland as it is.

Completely agree. Council quite clearly don’t want to spend a penny on the area and want the residents to do it all for them.

The Council are absolute f***ing liars. Fobbing people off with bullshit. The poor people who are trying to move in / renovate need these properties watched by a proper security firm until there is a large group of people living in these streets. The residents and properties are sitting ducks currently. (Episode 2)

Completely agree. Council quite clearly don’t want to spend a penny on the area and want the residents to do it all for them.
The tories even robbed the councils.

Sure I've seen similar in a different city, which worked really well .. (Stoke)? Fugged if I can remember.
Aye it was Stoke. They've shown them since on Midlands Today, a few young couples done them up and living in them, I think one of the conditions was you had to live in the house for a certain time.

I watched it like, only sympathy is for anyone who thought they were getting a cheap house to live in and borrowed money to renovate. Those who thought it was an easy quid can get fucked, clever scheme from the council to get council tax coming in on said "dead" properties imo.

I watched it like, only sympathy is for anyone who thought they were getting a cheap house to live in and borrowed money to renovate. Those who thought it was an easy quid can get fucked, clever scheme from the council to get council tax coming in on said "dead" properties imo.

dont forget the council get a bonus from central gov as well for bringing a house back into occupancy

Back