£1 Liverpool Houses.

leyburnrunner

Midfield
Anyone watch the C4 programme?
What a complete mess by Liverpool Council. They have all these dilapidated empty houses, streets of them, that decide to offer at a £1 a go though the big flaw here is that many of them aren't theirs to sell. Seems 5 years back they bought them by compulsory order via central Govt loans with legal restrictions that they be demolished for future deveopment. Some folks £40k spent on the refit to discover this demolition restriction on their property. The increasingly nervous Housing Officer bundled out in front of cameras to bluff it out.
Break ins, poor take up. It doesn't look good.

I think there have been some oversights but it’s a genius idea imo. The council have nowt to lose. Area may or not get regenerated but at a minimum they are banking council tax.

I don’t have huge sympathy for the punters as they all have enough cash to put a lumper down on a cheap house. They are speculating that they will make a load of free equity if it takes off. But good luck to them.

I think there have been some oversights but it’s a genius idea imo. The council have nowt to lose. Area may or not get regenerated but at a minimum they are banking council tax.

I don’t have huge sympathy for the punters as they all have enough cash to put a lumper down on a cheap house. They are speculating that they will make a load of free equity if it takes off. But good luck to them.
Taking a helluva risk. Good luck to them.

Just watched it.
They're on a hiding to nothing up against the scallys.
Surely it would have been better to do one Street at a time to get a community spirit and a sense of security.

Looked like a right shithole , there’d be hoodies and trackie bottoms all over the place once the sun goes down I’d bet....

Anyone watch the C4 programme?
What a complete mess by Liverpool Council. They have all these dilapidated empty houses, streets of them, that decide to offer at a £1 a go though the big flaw here is that many of them aren't theirs to sell. Seems 5 years back they bought them by compulsory order via central Govt loans with legal restrictions that they be demolished for future deveopment. Some folks £40k spent on the refit to discover this demolition restriction on their property. The increasingly nervous Housing Officer bundled out in front of cameras to bluff it out.
Break ins, poor take up. It doesn't look good.

How long have they been offering a quid for them?

My mate went to uni down there and cos he was a tight-arse he rented some place in the regeneration area. Woke up one morning (well, afternoon) and walked round the corner to find that the street that used to be there no longer was :lol:

Just watched it.
They're on a hiding to nothing up against the scallys.
Surely it would have been better to do one Street at a time to get a community spirit and a sense of security.

They had these poor people spread out leaving them the only house being done up on the street. No surprise when that one had the break in and the lot taken. Scumbags.

Bugger that :lol:

I’ve no obstacles to saving for a deposit as I don’t have an £80pcm phone or £300pcm 3-Series mate

I just don’t want to live in a deprived neighbourhood as it were

Nor do I really want to own a house at the present time

Now I know how Phil & Kirsty feel. There's no helping some folk. :rolleyes:

Back