Z Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah, the Dylan version, that probably hadn't even been written when Z Cars came on the scene in 1962, iirc, when Dylan was only 21. The song is undoubtedly much, much older. Dylan, like all good folk singers used to take existing folk tunes and lyrics and change/re-write them. He probably got the tune and the lyrics from the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, an Irish folk group with whom he spent time in New York in the early sixties. They too used to take old lyrics and re-write them.

I saw The Clancies in concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1965, they sang Johnnny Todd, and by then "Liverpool" was included. It's a nice version, worth a listen:

We could argue about this forever!

Ah, the Dylan version, that probably hadn't even been written when Z Cars came on the scene in 1962, iirc, when Dylan was only 21. The song is undoubtedly much, much older. Dylan, like all good folk singers used to take existing folk tunes and lyrics and change/re-write them. He probably got the tune and the lyrics from the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, an Irish folk group with whom he spent time in New York in the early sixties. They too used to take old lyrics and re-write them.

I saw The Clancies in concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1965, they sang Johnnny Todd, and by then "Liverpool" was included. It's a nice version, worth a listen:

We could argue about this forever!

Some good Dylan tales and links in the following if you're that way inclined...

http://toffeeweb.com/season/14-15/comment/talkingpoints/29339.html

http://toffeeweb.com/season/08-09/comment/fan/article.asp?submissionID=11879

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Is so much better than Dance of the Knights :cool:

I also thought the atmosphere when the lights went out prove that the club should scrap any music during the build up to the match
Would only take a week before someone fell down the steps and died, and we were sued for £100,000,000 :lol:

Johny Todd he went a sailing, oceans mentioned also. buses must be funny in Liverpool
Not buses ~ busies, pronounced Bizees. Scouse for the Old Bill.:)

Ta.

Not buses ~ busies, pronounced Bizees. Scouse for the Old Bill.:)

Ta.

Here you go

Johnny Todd, he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide
And he's left his own true love behind him
Walking by the Liverpool tide

For a week, she wept with sorrow
Tore her hair and wrung her hands
Till she met another handsome sailor
Walking by the Liverpool sands

Fair young maid are you a weeping
For your Johnny gone to sea