Youth team is our future

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vauxies

A lot of people seem to be getting annoyed (bed wetting) at the lack of signings, however could it not be that Poyet has seen something in the likes of honeyman, smith, agnew, madron, cartwright etc.. that he believes they could cut it at prem level. Now I'm not saying put them all in straight away but potentially a couple could start with the old guard.

I mean there's always people saying we don't see enough come from our academy, well you wont unless they're given a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lot of people seem to be getting annoyed (bed wetting) at the lack of signings, however could it not be that Poyet has seen something in the likes of honeyman, smith, agnew, madron, cartwright etc.. that he believes they could cut it at prem level. Now I'm not saying put them all in straight away but potentially a couple could start with the old guard.

I mean there's always people saying we don't see enough come from our academy, well you wont unless they're given a chance.

Nope, I don't think Gus has much plans for them this season IMO, the fact he took none on the tour of Portugal says a lot

This was a very much last minute decisions to play this game, as we didn't have enough first team players to play in both games, nothing more or less IMO, they will fly back tomorrow.

Good experience for the lads involved and some of them have provided a bright spot in pre-season. I'd expect Watmore to be dotting in and out of the first team squad this season.

Youths are the future. Unless we stop them now.

(Paraphrased by Homer Simpson)

Nope, I don't think Gus has much plans for them this season IMO, the fact he took none on the tour of Portugal says a lot

This was a very much last minute decisions to play this game, as we didn't have enough first team players to play in both games, nothing more or less IMO, they will fly back tomorrow.

Fair enough but to think it was last minute decision is daft, poyet knew how many games he had in x amount of days and how many players to use for that duration.
Youths had a game against Boston to deal with first then they flew out, it would have been planned like that and so far so good :)

Fair enough but to think it was last minute decision is daft, poyet knew how many games he had in x amount of days and how many players to use for that duration.
Youths had a game against Boston to deal with first then they flew out, it would have been planned like that and so far so good :)

I'm not sure if this is a woosh?

Gus said last week that they wouldn't be coming to Portugal. He has said this morning that they flew out as we hadn't signed enough players to play both games

Was never the plan at all like, so not sure why you are saying that

We can sell them or let them go free if they're any good.

reducing the number of journeymen senior "squad" players is the key to opening up a route into the first team picture for the young players.

this would also enable us to spend more on our first choice starting XI.

i do believe the club are trying to accomplish this.

I'm not sure if this is a woosh?

Gus said last week that they wouldn't be coming to Portugal. He has said this morning that they flew out as we hadn't signed enough players to play both games

Was never the plan at all like, so not sure why you are saying that

I think that his quote from the linked article explains all.

Poyet took a squad of 20 senior players out to the Algarve but the Black Cats have been unable to land the signings he had hoped, and as a result 10 Under 21 players flew out on Monday.

And it was the youngsters who started last night’s 1-0 win over Spanish second division side Recreativo de Huelva, with five first-team squad members - Liam Bridcutt, Valentin Roberge and Alfred N’Diaye, El-Hadji Ba and Charis Mavrias - coming on at half-time as substitutes.

But with Sunderland in action again tonight at the Estadio Municipal de Albufeira against Europa League side Nacional, Poyet will play the senior men who spent last night watching from the stands.

He said: “As everybody knows we couldn’t make two elevens - we were four or five players short.

“I didn’t want to mix it, I didn’t think it was right.

“So we only used five [senior] players against Recreativo,

“I decided to bring them on rather than play them from the beginning.

“They will probably get another 20 minutes tonight [as subs] depending how it goes, but obviously I will look to start with the senior players who did not start last night.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gus-poyet-set-start-first-team-7531280

The more the kids play in front of Gus, under his instructions, using his system, playing better opposition like last night, the more likely it is that he'll start having them train with the first team week in week out, then he'll start featuring them on the bench.

Though I think coming in to the back end of last season he planned to have none involved at all. Sadly even the best laid plans are subject to change at a moments notice.

I'd love to see us bringing a load of academy lads through this season. Maybe our lack of signings will have a silver lining if we discover 2 or 3 promising players and give them a chance, would certainly make a change from the usual carpet baggers

Fergie had his fledglings (Class of 92)
Can we have Poyet's....... potentials...
clear.png

I agree with the OP, Maybe not all the ones he's mentioned.
But from what i've seen, why not give Watmore, Agnew, Ba, Cartwright a chance those players mixed amongst the experienced lads properly in games could give us that edge this season, as we've seen in pre-season, they are the ones that actually "try" or put in 100% for a better description, because they have to prove themselves. If Gus gave them time in home games against the teams around us that we couldn't break down last season like Norwich/WistAam/Swansea etc, maybe that's what it takes...

All that said i wouldn't like them to be our only option.

What were the opinions of ManU fans when fergie entered the first season with Neville(s), Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Butt..... before anyone had really seen them play.

Ellis Short won't be able to contain his excitement if we produce some players who we can sell for a profit in 2-3 years time.

As soon as they had a successful period we'd lose them all like saints have :lol:

I'd love to see us bringing a load of academy lads through this season. Maybe our lack of signings will have a silver lining if we discover 2 or 3 promising players and give them a chance, would certainly make a change from the usual carpet baggers

One thing is for sure.... would be great experience for them that would prove valuable in the Championship next season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back