Your favourite aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainze said:
This.

Would be great to see the lost aircraft in Burma dug up and restored :cool:

Doubt they'll get many of them flying, if any. There aren't many spare Griffon engines kicking about.

Harriers. Great invention but a bit long in the tooth now.

Spitfires of course, but I think they were pipped in performace once the P-51 Mustangs came along, which are beautiful planes.

My old man flew all sorts in the RAF but his favourite was the Lancaster.

I like them single seat fighters the yanks have, maybe F-18s?

The Mustang wasn't that good until they stuck a Merlin in it.

Doubt they'll get many of them flying, if any. There aren't many spare Griffon engines kicking about.

Not if they were early marks which were sent out East and replaced with later marks. I read somewhere that the majority of them were possibly Mk IIs.

Some great airplanes.

The Camel, Spitfire and Lightning are high on my list and the Lancaster bomber but I always liked the Heinkel bomber, when I was a kid it looked so futuristic with all that glass.

Logon or register to see this image

Tornado ADV, or Air Display Variant as it was known... 20 years or so in service and not one single weapon fired in anger. Still, it made a decent deterrent.

Whereas the GR is still on ops, having never stopped since the first Gulf War.

Tornado ADV, or Air Display Variant as it was known... 20 years or so in service and not one single weapon fired in anger. Still, it made a decent deterrent.

Whereas the GR is still on ops, having never stopped since the first Gulf War.

ADV = Air Defence Variant

my office was in the pre-production build hangar

I'm pretty sure that 19 squadron had the two cannon, 4 browning firing rig during the Battle of Britain. Not sure who else had the cannon / browning set up, but some of the Spitfires definitely did.

Yes, that's right. But if memory serves me, they were constantly jamming and so the use of cannon wasn't really persued until after the battle was finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back