Yosemite National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underdog

Central Defender
Has anyone ever been here before? How do you go about it ie. Is it usually done as part of a tour of the states or do people go there for a camping kind of holiday? Looks fantastic, would love to go.

Has anyone ever been here before? How do you go about it ie. Is it usually done as part of a tour of the states or do people go there for a camping kind of holiday? Looks fantastic, would love to go.

yep i've been twice.
fly into san fransico, drive there, easy drive. you can pay the rangers at the the gates or get a pass to visit multiple national parks . Go to glacier point to see half dome

ive driven through it... awesome place, was heading to mamoth from san fran... highly recommend visiting!

First time I travelling with a group of lads and had no plans to stay etc. We met a european lass working in a cafe and she invited us all to stay in her cabin.

Second time years later with the mrs as part of california trip. Stayed in lovely hotel and spent a couple of days in the park.

A couple of days will be enough. Really nice views etc.

Been there several times. Do not do it as part of a bus tour. Go on your own and you get to see whatever you'd like in the park (not just the Valley!) at your own pace. When I go, I go backpacking in the backcountry and away from the crowds. From your post, I doubt that's your thing, but note that if you want to do so, you need to get a permit ahead of time.

Been there several times. Do not do it as part of a bus tour. Go on your own and you get to see whatever you'd like in the park (not just the Valley!) at your own pace. When I go, I go backpacking in the backcountry and away from the crowds. From your post, I doubt that's your thing, but note that if you want to do so, you need to get a permit ahead of time.

Yeah I think I'd prefer to be able to go off on my own as opposed to being directed to places but would probably want to have a few days there then move on elsewhere as others have said. It's just one of a number of places over there I'd love to visit.

Went last year. Did Vegas, death Valley then mammoth mountain. Did a trip from mammoth. Further than I thought.

Amazing place
followed that route myself in 2007, was too early in the year and the tioga pass was closed for snow so had to circumnavigate around yosemite which was an interesting journey in itself...

the sierra nevada is a wonderul sight to see!

The U.S. National parks are brilliant

The drive from San Fran to Yosemite is great, the fruit farms by the road are an eye opener. Stayed in a village called mariposa which felt quite American.

If doing a California drive holiday try and fit in 2 or 3 of the national parks

The U.S. National parks are brilliant

The drive from San Fran to Yosemite is great, the fruit farms by the road are an eye opener. Stayed in a village called mariposa which felt quite American.

If doing a California drive holiday try and fit in 2 or 3 of the national parks

There's a bar in Mariposa that used to run by a one armed veteran (like the Simpsons) we went a number of times over the years. In the bogs there was a graffiti board with the exception of my FTM it was covered in Swansea and Cardiff abuse.

:lol::lol:

Never been but 'Yellowstone' is one of the greatest nature documentaries ever.

If the volcanologists are right Yellowstone will be coming to us soon!

Stayed in the hotel, push the boat out and do this, the camping villages are shite

Try to go in spring when the falls are going, most were dry in summer

Better to stay in the park than outside. Would recommend the lodge rooms. Curry Village is the main centre but I preferred the Wawona Lodge as you get that original 1930's feel. Either are better than the tents for me, but it depends on your budget.

Just looking it up, we stayed in Yosemite lodge, it was great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back