Wickham to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.
He scores more goals than our other strikers despite being just 22 and having played out of position all last season.

He's quicker than our other strikers.

Has more talent than our other strikers.

Tries harder than our other strikers (barring perhaps Graham, but :lol: )
Also is the only one with any potential. The other three - whatever we think of them - have their best days behind them

He scores more goals than our other strikers despite being just 22 and having played out of position all last season.

I agree. It's just so short term yet again from the club.

I think this is a very pragmatic decision and underlying it all is a piece of astute business.
He was coming to the end of his contact not so long ago and we filled his mouth with gold to stay. In doing so we boosted his value. Now that we have sold him we recoup most if not more than the ridiculous fee we paid for him and free up 60,000 smackeroonies a week. That's a significant contribution to the wages bill and one that he didn't really justify.
I like Connor and there is more than a grain of truth that he was always, and to his detriment , played out of position. But as the model of an old fashioned centre forward the consensus on here was that his decision making was poor, he didn't utilise his body strength and presented a poor ariel threat.
Sometimes things don't work out even with good will and the support of fans.
I don't think he will be that well remembered, maybe he will be one like Ally McCoist that will go on and do better things.
Just wish he hadn't gone to Palace though.
Offering him a new contract was a good decision, to avoid him leaving for a tribunal but whether this is a good move or not depends very much on the fee and replacement.
If it's £6m up front that seems ridiculously low and I just can't see us replacing him for anything like that kind of fee.
Added to that is the state of our forward line we are facing having two forwards out of contract and one who will be 34 this time next year. Over the next 12 months we are probably going to need 3/4 forwards. That's ignoring how short we could be on wide forwards.

Selling a player for a fair amount isn't good news exactly..... Not like some other transfers where we clearly got big big money. £6.5 is about fair.

Nothing to celebrate at all - our squad is weaker now than it was 3 hours ago.

I think this is a very pragmatic decision and underlying it all is a piece of astute business.
He was coming to the end of his contact not so long ago and we filled his mouth with gold to stay. In doing so we boosted his value. Now that we have sold him we recoup most if not more than the ridiculous fee we paid for him and free up 60,000 smackeroonies a week. That's a significant contribution to the wages bill and one that he didn't really justify.
I like Connor and there is more than a grain of truth that he was always, and to his detriment , played out of position. But as the model of an old fashioned centre forward the consensus on here was that his decision making was poor, he didn't utilise his body strength and presented a poor ariel threat.
Sometimes things don't work out even with good will and the support of fans.
I don't think he will be that well remembered, maybe he will be one like Ally McCoist that will go on and do better things.
Just wish he hadn't gone to Palace though.

That's an excellent post and I agree entirely with your though process here. Whether or not it is a good decision depends upon who comes in and that has often been the hard part.

You said he's going to be a very good player, saying he's better than the shite we have upfront does not mean he's gonna be a very good player.

In the PL he scored the same as Fletcher last season and he played 2 more games.

I'm quicker than Defoe, Graham and Fletcher

He doesn't have more talent than Defoe or Fletcher.

Wow he tries hard.

So what makes him potentially very good then?

We can afford to lose Wickham more than we can afford to lose Cattermole, Pantilimon or probably PVA. Those are the only players we have who can attract any kind of fee, maybe I'm wrong and there's one or two more. We are only selling him because the finances are bad, and the finances are bad because of the pile of dross we've built up over the years that can't be moved at all.

I think I understand 100% why it's happening but I have no idea why some people are so happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back