Wickham or borini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would have said Borini about a month ago, but I think Wickham is really growing into the role and no longer think it's worth splashing out over £10M for Borini when Wickham is potentially as good in that position.

£3m was the last figure I saw quoted to sign him.

If we are to make an offer again, I'd put a take-it-or-leave-it £6m on the table, and I'd give him a strict deadline to decide terms aswell, or we pull the plug forever.
Personally, I wouldn't bother. He's nowhere near good enough for the level of glorification he receives, and the amount of our time he's wasted. He wanted to stay at Liverpool, let him lie in his bed of occasional bench-warming, no impact, no future, mid-table anonymity.

I hate the obsession with Borini on here and thought he was a little overrated in his time here... however he's a better player than Whickham, so Borini for me

Ok then, he can outrun a 34 year old Demichelis with a headstart. Never saw Borini carry the ball 80 yards up the left flank and motor past people, ala Wickham v Chelsea. He isn't capable.
I think what we have to realize is that even Ronaldo, Bale and Rooney would run 80 yards down the line and score about 5 times a year and less than 10 times a season. Defense will not allow it, and counter attack and scoring is not prolific in any of the league. The two key here is scoring and pace. Ronaldo, Bale and Rooney are all faster than Wickham and better finishers. If I recall he did the 80 yards but did not score nor was he able to even get off a shot (cross I think). Wickham is like a Boeing Airbus where he will eventually pick up speed after 10 yards or so. For the first 3 steps he is even slower than JOS let alone Ronaldo, Bale or Rooney. People here correctly pointed out he shoots very often but seldom gets goals. It is his lack of movement with the ball and his slow first 3 steps which are quite essential for Strikers. Teddy Sheringham and Alan Shearer were excellent in movement without the ball and although not quick had the quick initial steps. In essence, Wickham has some qualities but overall Borini by a galaxy and don't really rate Borini either,

Wickham by a mile
Offers an aerial outlet
Set pieces we look dangerous
Powerful shots
Got a cross on him (as proven yesterday and thriughout the season)
Young, more potential I'd say
Hold up play they're poles apart
Surely you are joking. Aerial threat? Powerful "off target shots" you forgot to mention. Holds up play? I agree with young though.

I'd like to see that stat as well. Wickham has scored off of one shot this season, and he shoots more than anyone else on the team. I'm guessing 3 shots a game. That gives 1 goal off of 51 shots. Maybe that shot total is high, but it seems about right. Regardless, % of shots on target would be pretty low I would guess.
Great observation. Wickham should already have about 8 goals if he was a average player on the Premier League with the amount of shots he is taking. A case in point is Ki for Swansea who has 3 goals with less than half the shots taken than Wickham playing in a less attacking role as some of Wickham's backers will say this is why he is not scoring due to playing on the wings. I think defensive Mid, almost Central sweeper has less opportunities than a winger no?. Really frustrating how a player of his caliber gets away with so much while other players will get so much stick for half the antics he does. If the score remained nil nil, his open missed header would have been talked about but not to the degree of other misses which were much more difficult chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borini. Wickham is a central striker and drives me mad when he shoots from long range and others are in better positions. Must do it 3 or 4 times a game

Borini by a mile imo. he'd have nicked a goal or two in our 10 draws giving us a few extra points

But he didn't, no more than Wickham is. He scored very few in open play. Was it 4 over the season? Wickham's got 2 from that position in getting on for half a season.

What they have in common is work rate in that position, and that's part of why Gus liked Borini there, and has played Wickham there rather than Buckley CF AJ.

Borini. Wickham is a central striker and drives me mad when he shoots from long range and others are in better positions. Must do it 3 or 4 times a game

Can only recall him doing that once in the derby - it was a good shot, and Alnick did well to touch it round for a corner.

• Starting to like wickham there, he's a threat, can bully players and his height and pace makes us harder to beat in a strange way
The front 3 pick themselves when fit, that's why it was so ridiculous Altidore played against west ham. Look how good fletcher was on Sunday man

To me it's a ridiculous choice and I doubt it is ever going to be needed to be made.
Wickham has just signed a bumper new contract. Fletcher is getting stronger, fitter and more importantly his touch is returning.
Gus would like 1 more striker, but I think those 2 are his first choice striking options.
I don't believe Borini sees himself ( in the long term ) playing on the left, more he sees himself as a striker first and foremost.
He played the role and did it well because he had something to prove, he has pace and a great engine.
He seems to believe he's top 6 material as a striker so I doubt he'll come to SAFC and certainly not to play the LW role.
I liked him but we need to consign him to the past

Powerful "off target shots"

Sunderland had 3 shots on target at St James', 1 was Johnson's goal. Wickham had both of the others, 1 a header saved by Alnwick and the other a powerful drive from 25 yards that he tipped onto the post and behind.

Sunderland had 3 shots on target at St James', 1 was Johnson's goal. Wickham had both of the others, 1 a header saved by Alnwick and the other a powerful drive from 25 yards that he tipped onto the post and behind.
Header was a pure miss on a open goal (suggest you see the replay) and the shot was going out as most posters said. Wickham's other life saved your other life, it seems. He is just not good and hope to prove me wrong but will never be that good.

Wonder how many transfer windows we go through before the Borini thing is dead

CW proved his commitment not long back and so did Borini in summer...

Lets do a Frozen "Let it go"

Roll on the end of January but oh wait a minute we have another window in the summer :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back