1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you always enter/exit a plane through the left hand door?

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Alan BStard, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Is the right hand side one only for emergencies?

Thinking further on it........so do military jet pilots. Spitfires through to Typhoons.
  2. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

if one went left and one went right there wouldn't be enough room at the stand. duhhhhh
  3. maygo

maygo Midfield

It's cos we drive on the left mate, if you went on the right side there's a good chance you'd get ran over by a plane going the opposite direction
  4. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

I don't think it's always the left hand side but isn't it something to do with access to cargo being from the right, so terminals are designed to take passengers from the left allowing luggage/refuelling vehicles room on the right?
  5. HillView Aviator

HillView Aviator Midfield

Because historically, horses were mounted from the left, and the practice just carried on like that.
  6. Spot

Spot Winger

they could reverse in shirley
  7. Hongkongphooey

Hongkongphooey Striker

Because the steps are always left handed.
    Charmless Man likes this.
  8. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

Wouldn't matter which orientation the plane is in, access for cargo and refuelling is on one side so they get the passengers on/off on the other side.
  9. super-niall

super-niall Striker

If they were on the right hand side you'd fall onto the concrete cause they put the steps on the left hand side.
  10. I use a gantry thing, not common steps.
    Hongkongphooey likes this.
  11. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

Well I was banking on this thread becoming a pun thread but it hasn't really taken off...
    blackcat1395 likes this.
  12. jacko100

jacko100 Winger

not anymore, she died
    Oliver Hardy and Scimmy like this.
  13. The Raven

The Raven Midfield

So you can push the door open with your left hand and have your sword/bat/gun/nunchucks ready in your right hand.
  14. super-niall

super-niall Striker

It's because they board from the port side, a bit like boats if you exit on the starboard side you'd fall in the water.
  15. Hongkongphooey

Hongkongphooey Striker

Sorry mate,with the zimmer frame and that you'd have too:D
  16. Arkle

Arkle Striker Contributor

I agree. Therefore we are in concord.
  17. super-niall

super-niall Striker

:lol::lol:
  18. blackcat1395

blackcat1395 Midfield

Give it a while. Everything's up in the air at the minute...
  19. Life's A Pitch

Life's A Pitch Striker

It's cause the petrol cap is on the right and the pilot cant see it (to know when they'd finished) from his wing mirrors if the doors where open.
  20. Cockney Mackem

Cockney Mackem Striker

Terrible puns, like. If they get any worse the effect on the thread could be terminal
    Nasum likes this.