Why do so few of our signings hit the ground running...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh sorry, had a heavy night last night. It is currently very difficult to comprehend things haha. I see your point though. Its baffling that after all your signings it remains a Bruce heavy team.

It's probably a combination of a few things. Poor scouting for a start.........buying players to fit a price tag rather than than buying quality........too many loan deals which means every season necessitates a dozen signings.........and sad to say we don't have a reputation as a stable well run club which affects the quality of those we can attract.

Maybe because most aren't good enough?

Well, that's the obvious conclusion but it's probably been exacerbated by the constant managerial churn at the club. When Poyet took the reins last year it was the 4th manager (inc Ball) that Johnson and Fletcher had played under in less than two years.......or the 5th for the likes of Cattermole, Brown, O'Shea, Larsson and Wickham. All with different styles of play and different styles of man-management (i'm being generous to Di Canio here saying he had any man-management qualities at all)

The biggest factor for me however is that we appear to look for a player to fit a price.....hence us not taking interest any further in McCarthy and Diame. Did we look at Bony when we bought Altidore......then decide to go for the lower cost option. There's lots of questions to be asked about our transfer policy but unfortunately we can only guess as to why we buy the players we do as nothing ever comes out of the club to confirm or otherwise our suspicions.

we dont bring them in early enough to get used to the tactics/formation/team mates because ellis is tight as a gnats chuff so they use vital league games to adapt instead of meaningless pre season friendlies.
loada shite!,,,,, How come Southampton sold off the whole spine of their team, and at this moment sit second in the table.

I think this is a big part of why so much time was spent chasing "the Italian that shall not be named" he hit the ground running, lots of time spent in the uk which does help for integration and he was canny for the price we can afford

We do have an uncanny knack of signing players from abroad completely unsuited to the english game. I've lost count of the amount of signings that have proven too lightweight, too slow, too lacking in stamina to hack it over here regardless of technical ability.

At the opposite end of the spectrum we have also signed some absolute physical beasts who look like they have never seen a football before in their lives.

because we dont give them time, 5-6 games in "they're shite" and then the boo boys start, the players confidence drops, his performances suffer and the whole thing starts again.

Buckley & Gomez have been alright since signing. Mostly sub appearances, but I reckon that's their level full stop.

Last season, Celustka started very well, his performances dipped after that. Vito did once he got a run but that was like 2 months in, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Fletcher couldn't have started much better, neither could Bent... even Gyan. Larsson, Brown, O'Shea...

We don't play enough friendly games in pre-season.

We dont play in enough games during the season anarl marra.

We do have an uncanny knack of signing players from abroad completely unsuited to the english game. I've lost count of the amount of signings that have proven too lightweight, too slow, too lacking in stamina to hack it over here regardless of technical ability.

Crackin post marra. If we didnt know better we could almost think some managers had signed players for other than footballing reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back