Weekley Paul Merson Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a club that's only finished in the top half 3 times in the last 25 years. Can you really blame any non-North East journo for picking us to get beat more often than not?

We're a club that's only finished in the top half 3 times in the last 25 years. Can you really blame any non-North East journo for picking us to get beat more often than not?
Its such a lazy way to do the scoring though, when they predict they hardly ever take recent form into account or injuries or say the formations of both teams and how they will interact against each other.

It's just "hmmm, which one of these names looks worse in my head"

Why should anyone feel the need to apologise for that?
Because there are people on here who just slag off certain people no matter what they say, like last week when they predicted Man Utd would narrowly beat us. At the beginning of last season many pundits predicted us to be relegated under Di Canio. They got loads of abuse on here, and we went on to win one point in our opening 7 games or whatever it was. If we didn't sack him the general consensus is that we would have indeed gone down.

Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. So what if they think we'll lose to QPR. It means nothing. But if they're right the same lot will be slagging them off in a fortnight when they predict Spurs will beat us.

He's been on the Brasso cocktails again
:lol:

This fella gets paid in crates of Stella. Which he has to down in one before his predictions

Because there are people on here who just slag off certain people no matter what they say, like last week when they predicted Man Utd would narrowly beat us. At the beginning of last season many pundits predicted us to be relegated under Di Canio. They got loads of abuse on here, and we went on to win one point in our opening 7 games or whatever it was. If we didn't sack him the general consensus is that we would have indeed gone down.

Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. So what if they think we'll lose to QPR. It means nothing. But if they're right the same lot will be slagging them off in a fortnight when they predict Spurs will beat us.
He based united beating us last week on nothing more than they're called man United and they haven't lost two games in a row at the start of the season in ages. He's f***ing garbage

Last edited:

It doesn't mean they have to apologise though.

I can take being predicted to lose - we do. Often. But when he says 'well QPR were shite, no points, abysmal play, SAFC dominated against Man United, got a bit lucky against WBA, generally good play = QPR win' it's just ridiculous.

I can take being predicted to lose - we do. Often. But when he says 'well QPR were shite, no points, abysmal play, SAFC dominated against Man United, got a bit lucky against WBA, generally good play = QPR win' it's just ridiculous.
Yeah but he didn't say that, did he.

Not even I can stand the thought of us losing. And I don't ever want to. As a result what he says cuts deep. It cuts even deeper when I you think Mark Lawrenson agrees with him. He goes for a 2-1 QPR win also. But cold hard facts are not on our side.

We did play well against Man United. But against West Bromwich Albion and against Birmingham I thought we were slow to get up to speed. In the case of WBA I don't know if we ever really did. Yes in the last 10-15 minutes of the Birmingham cup game we began to spearhead some meaningful pacey attack. But it took about 70 minutes for the players to cotton on to what it is they actually had to do to win the game. You have to wonder how many more times can we get away with it? Sometime soon we will pay the price for not attacking with chances from the outset and putting pressure on the opposition. We have been lucky so far but that luck will run out. It could easily come on Saturday against QPR.
How did you pick all that up from listening on the radio or reading the paper ?
Your not a supporter of my Club.
Ignore from now on.

Seem to recall the last QPR were up if all his predictions came off they would have been 8th or something

Even though QPR have had a poor start it can be really tough playing newly promoted sides early in the season, especially away from home. I can see why he has gone for a QPR win to be honest. I think we'll get a draw

No matter what his prediction is though I just can't understand why people care, the bloke can't even get a sentence out when he's on the tele

Jeez not this shit again.

People aren't annoyed/dislike Merson et al. because they predict us to lose, they dislike them because they offer absolutely no insight whatsoever. 'Sunderland haven't been playing well, I think they'll get beat' is almost literally all someone like Merson seems to be able to offer. They get paid (and listened to) to write this kind of garbage.

He deserves everything he gets if that's all he's going to offer. Either do some proper punditry or don't bother at all.

Its such a lazy way to do the scoring though, when they predict they hardly ever take recent form into account or injuries or say the formations of both teams and how they will interact against each other.

It's just "hmmm, which one of these names looks worse in my head"
It's precisely the sort of lowest common denominator punditry that has seen Soccer Saturday become an institution. It's hard to blame Merson, or any of that lot for that matter, for not seeking to change the formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back