[waw] Void Left By Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

There are two things Sunderland's American owner Ellis Short has in common with Niall Quinn. Both are Irish passport-holders and the billionaire businessman also succeeded the affable football legend as the club's chairman. But there the similarities seem to end with each having totally different records in trying to run the day-to-day affairs at the Black Cats.

More at Wearewearside...

Yes quite.

Quinn let managers spend money like it was out of fashion and we got absolutely nowhere paying ridiculous fees for very average or worse players.

Short tried that established method too but could quickly see the error of the business model and has changed it. We still haven't gotten anywhere ... yet ... but at least the chairman owner is not losing boat loads of money. And you know what? I don't blame him at all.

Yes quite.

Quinn let managers spend money like it was out of fashion and we got absolutely nowhere paying ridiculous fees for very average or worse players.

Short tried that established method too but could quickly see the error of the business model and has changed it. We still haven't gotten anywhere ... yet ... but at least the chairman owner is not losing boat loads of money. And you know what? I don't blame him at all.

what a load of f***ing tripe.

"It may all be a mere coincidence and there is no doubt that Keane, Bruce and O'Neill all have their shortcomings. But I feel that something is empty at Sunderland since Quinn and no replacement has been made with links to the game and supporters."
This.[DOUBLEPOST=1381963653][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes quite.

I've always argued that with Keane, we spent big money out of almost necessity to regain and then sustain our position in the Premier League. Not justifying all of his spending by any means, but it was inevitable, the position we found ourselves in at the time, we were always going to pay over the odds. But also in fairness to Keane, that spending did achieve the desired effect of getting us up and keeping us up, which is often overlooked. Obviously since considerable effort has went into the reigning the spending in though, with mixed success.

Last edited:
What a load of shite.

These people with their persistent man-crush on Quinn need to grow up. I can't believe morons are still saying this shit, never mind this rubbish is promoted by RTG.[DOUBLEPOST=1381979339][/DOUBLEPOST]
"It may all be a mere coincidence and there is no doubt that Keane, Bruce and O'Neill all have their shortcomings. But I feel that something is empty at Sunderland since Quinn and no replacement has been made with links to the game and supporters."
This.[DOUBLEPOST=1381963653][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've always argued that with Keane, we spent big money out of almost necessity to regain and then sustain our position in the Premier League. Not justifying all of his spending by any means, but it was inevitable, the position we found ourselves in at the time, we were always going to pay over the odds. But also in fairness to Keane, that spending did achieve the desired effect of getting us up and keeping us up, which is often overlooked. Obviously since considerable effort has went into the reigning the spending in though, with mixed success.
How do you feel about Swansea, West Brom, Southampton, Stoke and even Norwich? Never mind Newcastle.

All six of those teams are better than us and were promoted recently without spending a fortune like we did. It wasn't necessary at all, people just think it was "necessary" as they bought in to the spin from Quinn and the club at the time. He was handed a once in a lifetime opportunity by Murray selling the club for the thick end of nothing and he ruined it through neglect, ineptitude and greed. If he, or somebody had ran the club well, did things the right way and brought the right people in we'd be a top 8 team at least.

Never mind we shouldn't have stayed up in the first place, it was a miracle that we didn't go down under Sbragia.

As for all of this local community connection shit, people didn't say that about Bob Murray. They couldn't stand him. That stuff is just an excuse to pin someone on from fans when things are going wrong. The Chief Exec is a woman, the Chairman is an "American Businessman", it's just clutching at straws, nobody would give a fuck if things were going well, but they aren't after all of the money was wasted so people pin their angst on these irrelevant facets of staff at the club.[DOUBLEPOST=1381979504][/DOUBLEPOST]PS

The saviour of Sunderland bided his time for a few months and departed when MON seemed to have successfully settled in
Dear me. Absolutely clueless.

Last edited:
Yes quite.

I don't agree, Quinn let Keane spend big to keep us in the top tier, he succeeded. We went on and spent big improving the squad, for the first time in my lifetime buying genuine quality like Steed, Cana, Bent, Gyan etc we finished 10th. Yes we bought some shite along the way, but that happens and we've struggled to attract top players.

Short however has come in, he's trying to balance the books to quickly IMHO, he's sold every decent player we've had and in the words Miss Byrne "selling our best players would be a model for relegation". I've got a feeling she'll be proved right.

What a load of shite.

These people with their persistent man-crush on Quinn need to grow up. I can't believe morons are still saying this shit, never mind this rubbish is promoted by RTG.[DOUBLEPOST=1381979339][/DOUBLEPOST]
How do you feel about Swansea, West Brom, Southampton, Stoke and even Norwich? Never mind Newcastle.

All six of those teams are better than us and were promoted recently without spending a fortune like we did. It wasn't necessary at all, people just think it was "necessary" as they bought in to the spin from Quinn and the club at the time. He was handed a once in a lifetime opportunity by Murray selling the club for the thick end of nothing and he ruined it through neglect, ineptitude and greed. If he, or somebody had ran the club well, did things the right way and brought the right people in we'd be a top 8 team at least.

Never mind we shouldn't have stayed up in the first place, it was a miracle that we didn't go down under Sbragia.

As for all of this local community connection shit, people didn't say that about Bob Murray. They couldn't stand him. That stuff is just an excuse to pin someone on from fans when things are going wrong. The Chief Exec is a woman, the Chairman is an "American Businessman", it's just clutching at straws, nobody would give a fuck if things were going well, but they aren't after all of the money was wasted so people pin their angst on these irrelevant facets of staff at the club.[DOUBLEPOST=1381979504][/DOUBLEPOST]PS

Dear me. Absolutely clueless.
Aye it was necessary. Did you see the team we got relegated to the championship with, and the shit that Keane and Drumavile were left to work with?! The club was completely fucked man. You can't remotely compare the circumstances of any of those clubs with ours. Also, you sound like a Mag to me.

Aye it was necessary. Did you see the team we got relegated to the championship with, and the shit that Keane and Drumavile were left to work with?! The club was completely fucked man. You can't remotely compare the circumstances of any of those clubs with ours. Also, you sound like a Mag to me.
Our situation was appalling, we had three senior defenders on the books and they were Collins, nosworthy and Varga (who was injured) we needed a whole new squad virtually against the backdrop of twice being relegated with record low point totals. We had to bein in a lot of players and pay good money for them.

There are two things Sunderland's American owner Ellis Short has in common with Niall Quinn. Both are Irish passport-holders and the billionaire businessman also succeeded the affable football legend as the club's chairman. But there the similarities seem to end with each having totally different records in trying to run the day-to-day affairs at the Black Cats.

More at Wearewearside...

since when was Quinn a billionaire? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back