[waw] Jozy Has Been Playing Canny Apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

Jozy Altidore has been quoted praising himself and cursing Sunderland’s luck for the start of this season. The United States international has scored zero league goals, assisted zero league goals and generally not made a massive impact since returning to the Premier League after an enormously successful spell in Holland. I have to be pretty blunt here, I am afraid there is not much substance which I can use to back up Jozy’s claims.

More at Wearewearside...

Jozy Altidore has been quoted praising himself and cursing Sunderland’s luck for the start of this season. The United States international has scored zero league goals, assisted zero league goals and generally not made a massive impact since returning to the Premier League after an enormously successful spell in Holland. I have to be pretty blunt here, I am afraid there is not much substance which I can use to back up Jozy’s claims.

More at Wearewearside...

Sometimes it seems like Sunderland is filled will a bunch of trolls. All he said was he thought he was playing well, and the team has been unlucky so far. Big deal.

Sometimes it seems like Sunderland is filled will a bunch of trolls. All he said was he thought he was playing well, and the team has been unlucky so far. Big deal.
That's exactly what you've quoted says that he said.

He has done ok considering he's more or less been playing up fron on his own, we need to support him more. It's also not really on that we look to knock our own players we should be supporting them from now on in and hopefully this will help get us out of the mess we are in just now.

Another misuse of statistics to belittle a sunderland player .
What he said in the interview was 100% accurate .
He has played well with what little support he has had , ask vidic about the 1st 45mins .
The team have been a little UL , i don't need to list it anybody who cannot see that is blind .
This is a typical example of the english disease , c
Never giving any encouragement or credit to our own and combine that with jozy being a yank well , he's a perfect target for the sort of negative rhetoric this article is filled with .
Shame on you sir for writing ( i use the word loosely ) this tripe.

He has played well with what little support he has had , ask vidic about the 1st 45mins .
The team have been a little UL , i don't need to list it anybody who cannot see that is blind .
Never giving any encouragement or credit to our own and combine that with jozy being a yank well , he's a perfect target for the sort of negative rhetoric this article is filled with .

One of the things that gets overlooked is the games he has started: Arsenal (1st), Liverpool (2nd), Southampton (4th), ManU (9th), and Fulham (17th). Besides Fulham, that is pretty tough competition. For me these 5 games were much better played than West Brom and Palace so even if he isn't scoring yet, he is contributing with his hold up play, passing, etc. and better than the alternative.

It's a results driven business and the participants are paid vast sums of money........money that comes from the pockets of men and women who earn a fraction of what they do so unfortunately they are going to be judged harshly if they are seen to be failing. We've been through all this before with Connor Wickham.....those who decided early that we had vastly overpaid for him and could see nothing to suggest he has what it takes against those who seem to think that just giving him more time will somehow see him dramatically improve. Very few now seem to think he's anything but a dud and we are going through that process now with Altidore.

There's nothing wrong with people who have watched football and footballers for decades deciding early that they don't think a player is up to the standard required. I'm not quite there with Jozy yet as i would like to see him in a 433 formation playing to the left of the forward three but he'll never be a a lone striker as long as he's got a hole in his arse so god knows why we are persisting with it.

He is never a goal threat. We have actually been in opposition penalty areas, contrary to most people's perceptions. Yet he never looks like he's going to score.
Sometimes you have to make it happen, like Fletcher did with similar service last season.

He isn't a natural goalscorer. Against Liverpool, I remember Altidore was actually running back towards the halfway line when Mignolet dropped the ball. A SKP or even a Fletcher would never have given it up till Mig had actually caught it.

Still he's better than that useless bugger from Ipswich...

I've no doubt we are not playing to his strengths, but, I'm also pretty sure I dont see him putting himself about trying to be involved as much as he could.

Thank f***ing Christ I'm not the only one watching. There's a determination in some quarters to villify Altidore and it's largely unjustified. He'll struggle all day to get goals as a lone striker up front against Liverpool, Arsenal, Man utd.

It's easy to beat a player down with statistics if you choose to ignore the context.

Scored a decent enough goal vs arsenal and it should have stood

He did, although even then he scuffed it and it trickled over the line.

I would like to think that if he got one he'd go on a run of goals. But I actually don't think he's the type.

He does just look like your old fashioned target man who can lay it off. We have to get around him for him to do that, like we actually did in the first half v Manchester United.[DOUBLEPOST=1381821268][/DOUBLEPOST]
Frightening that people are continuing to highlight this after 7 games.

There's nothing else to highlight....

I've no doubt we are not playing to his strengths, but, I'm also pretty sure I dont see him putting himself about trying to be involved as much as he could.
Agree with this too mind. Never seems to find himself in the box looking for the tap in, rebound or second ball. Possible lack of confidence combined with conservative tactics. It'd be one of the first things I'd address if i was in Poyets position.

Canny(for someone else) doesn't get you 39 points from 31 games sadly. We need a lot more than that.

The next three games are our season in my opinion.

Agree with this too mind. Never seems to find himself in the box looking for the tap in, rebound or second ball. Possible lack of confidence combined with conservative tactics. It'd be one of the first things I'd address if i was in Poyets position.

The lad has had some shit luck mind with the amount of times he's hit the post. Needs a goal ASAP.

Looks very much a confidence player. And they generally don't tend to do well here, seeing as though we are generally shit and have a very impatient set of fans. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back