Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two things astonish me about this thread
1 That the op needs to ask the question ~ one look at wikipedia would have answered it
2 That people would take it seriously and demonstrate the Shilton was indeed fairly decent.

Think I'll start a thread about Pele ~ was he any good? Just to see how many replies I get.
Are you Adrian Durham? ;)

Shilton was an unbelievable goalkeeper but past it in Italia 90.
This - plain and simple.

What a nugget you are
Best keeper england have ever produced, and we would not have got to the semis had it not been for two great one on one saves against the cameroons. Not had a better keeper since
His inclusion was questionable in Italia '90. He was most definitely well along the downslope.

The fact th that Beasant was even in the squad tells everyone that despite the thought being England had quality keepers back then, they actually didn't .
Chris woods wasnt great either and David Seaman iirc was left out for Beasant - dont think anyone was that convinced by him at that point either. Off the top of my head sutton at forest and hodge at sheff wed were decent and martyn had just moved to palace, lukic was on the way out at arsenal and orgizivoc was ordinary at Coventry - as much as shilts was a little bit past his best, some effort had been put into blooding both woods who hadnt took his chance and Gary Bailey at man utd who had retired, so naturally shilts stayed on.
Wasn't Bailey South African?

Was shit at saving penalties.
Problem with his Penalty Keeping was that he never guessed which way the ball was going to go. He always waited till the shot was hit, and then moved, (His own words!!). Invariably, penalty takers knew this pretty much, and had him sussed out. Weakest point of his game by far. Otherwise, he was truly a great.

I dont know why the OP is getting so much shit. Shilton was f***ing woeful in Italia 90, our weakest link. No danger of him ever saving a penalty either.

By the way: The best keeper in the Tournament was Goicochea of Argentina who was their reserve, Pumpido (first choice) broke his leg in the first match so was replaced. Goicochea then went on to save 2 or 3 pens in 2 separate shoot outs, or at least save a couple of pens during patches as well as in a shoot out. Nowt ever came of him like for some reason.

Walter Zenga only let one goal in......Punpido got dropped

Southall was better for a season or so, but that was it. He was exceptional mid 80's but never kept that form up and it never really got tested on a higher level. He gradually put more and more weight on and was never the same as earlier in his career.

But youre comparing bonner at that time, which must mean when Ireland got to tournaments, at around 88 ownwards. Which means Shilton was 38+ and bonner was in his prime. Bonner and the Ireland side at that time were quite pragmatic and playing above their abilities, bonners form in that sode was good, but lets not kid ourselves he was some kind of world class keeper.
C'mon lad if you're trying to raise a stir with the "Ireland over-achieving" rubbish we can leave that for another discussion, very apt on the anniversary of when you's got off extremely lightly with a point from us in Italia 90, however back to business - re first quote I said that the 4 keepers played at the same time but all peaked differently, when Bonner peaked he was as good as anyone around at the time that's all and it's quite valid in fairness,

Is the Earth flat?
That's a good question for people like you. It's only when brave people challenge the conventional wisdom that great strides in knowledge are made. Not saying, as OP, that I am on a par with Galileo, Darwin or Newton but my "was Shilts any good" question puts me right up there.

C'mon lad if you're trying to raise a stir with the "Ireland over-achieving" rubbish we can leave that for another discussion, very apt on the anniversary of when you's got off extremely lightly with a point from us in Italia 90, however back to business - re first quote I said that the 4 keepers played at the same time but all peaked differently, when Bonner peaked he was as good as anyone around at the time that's all and it's quite valid in fairness,

In the early days Ireland did very much overachieve with what they had at their disposal.. They had some very good players in some positions like McGrath, Houghton, but not a team or squad of them and there was some very ordinary players like Byrne, Morris, Cascarino and a few others not even regulars in the top flight turning out for you. By the early to mid nineties and Townsend, Keane etc they had a top class midfield, but lacked that cutting edge up front - in 88-90 they didn't have that, so it's very fair to say they overachieved at that point with what they had.

Bonner wasn't mate, seriously.

In the early days Ireland did very much overachieve with what they had at their disposal.. They had some very good players in some positions like McGrath, Houghton, but not a team or squad of them and there was some very ordinary players like Byrne, Morris, Cascarino and a few others not even regulars in the top flight turning out for you. By the early to mid nineties and Townsend, Keane etc they had a top class midfield, but lacked that cutting edge up front - in 88-90 they didn't have that, so it's very fair to say they overachieved at that point with what they had.

Bonner wasn't mate, seriously.
Stick to the question, which is:
Was Shilton any good?

Shilton had been a tremendous keeper and by Italia 1990 had become the Shilts beloved of commentators as if he was unbeatable. In truth he was past his best, markedly slower and always, always blaming someone else for his failings. I think his presence and determination to play any and every game for England meant someone like Chris Woods didn't get the chances his form might have warranted. Best keepers for me would probably be Pat Jennings and Neville Southall

Shilton had been a tremendous keeper and by Italia 1990 had become the Shilts beloved of commentators as if he was unbeatable. In truth he was past his best, markedly slower and always, always blaming someone else for his failings. I think his presence and determination to play any and every game for England meant someone like Chris Woods didn't get the chances his form might have warranted. Best keepers for me would probably be Pat Jennings and Neville Southall

This would be Chris Woods that moved to Glasgow Rangers (as did Terry Butcher and one or two others admittedly, but Butcher was established as one of the best defenders around at the time) when he should have been trying to establish himself in the England set up? He was then was replaced by Andy Goram in 91. As much as Shilton was past his best, absolutely no one stood out as being better at the time. Woods might not have had many options in terms of moves from Norwich, but he didn't help himself going to the SPL.

David Seaman was just arriving on the international scene and got a slight injury in 90 which kept him out too. Beasant was IMO, not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back