Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking at the Italia '90 team, the weakest player was by far the keeper. Was Shilton ever any good or was he just finished by this time?
Shilton was about 40 them and past his best.The best keeper of the 1970s for me was northern Irishman Pat Jennings.The greatest of all time.Superb reflexes and hands like shovels.Never got proper recognition because he played for a minor country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Clough said he was the most important signing he made at Forest. Worth 15 points he reckoned.

By Italia 1990 though he was probably ower the hill a bit. Who were the other keepers around then, Seaman?

Short as shit but had arms that could reach around a wall and feel the tits of an Aussie tourist in the style of Basil Fawlty.
Class act.

Brian Clough said he was the most important signing he made at Forest. Worth 15 points he reckoned.

By Italia 1990 though he was probably ower the hill a bit. Who were the other keepers around then, Seaman?

Other keepers in the squad were (IIRC) Woods and Beasant, with Seaman left out. Others in the top flight - Spinks at Villa, Martyn just joined Palace, Turner at Sheff Wed, Ogrizovic at Coventry, Walsh and Sealey at Man Utd, Sutton at Forest, Lukic at Arsenal.

You twat just beat me to it

In my eyes yes

Clemence was a dirty so & so been a sweeper keeper

Scything forwards down

While shilts just played the game

Clemence was behind the very good Liverpool defence and was found out when he moved to Tottenham with their not so good defenders.
I think Shilts was the best keeper I've ever seen, possibly.

Other keepers in the squad were (IIRC) Woods and Beasant, with Seaman left out. Others in the top flight - Spinks at Villa, Martyn just joined Palace, Turner at Sheff Wed, Ogrizovic at Coventry, Walsh and Sealey at Man Utd, Sutton at Forest, Lukic at Arsenal.

Hmm, maybe Dave Beasant should have had his run.

Although I thought Shilts was a great keeper I thought there were areas he was weak.
No one has mentioned the "hand of God" yet.
I thought he was too slow and weak going up against Maradona with that effort of a punch.

Hmm, maybe Dave Beasant should have had his run.

Never particulary rated him personally, his career was as good as over about a season and a bit later too. good penalty stopper like. I think at the time we were waiting for someone to emerge and no one was really coming forward. Seaman's move to Arsenal put him further forward but no one really saw keepers of the same calibre as what we'd been used to coming forward.

I remember watching some football documentary about that world cup and one of the England players said they knew shilton wouldn't save any of the penalties as shilton told him he would always wait for the player to take the penalty before he dove...which makes sense if he chose the direction of the penalty right every time but failed to stop any

Great keeper but at Italia 90 I wonder if it had been a younger keeper in goal they would have been able to move there feet quicker and tip that deflected freekick over the bar I guess we will never know .Saying that Shilts was probs the best keeper I saw if not defo in the top 3 .

Was Chris Woods in that squad?

But he dived the wrong way for Schillachi's penalty in the very next match. (He was ridiculously embarrassed for Baggio's goal as well) I think in retrospect it was, unfortunately, one tournament too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back