1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unknown sunderland

Discussion in 'SMB' started by he,s here he,s there, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In 1964 a mate of mine lived in Burdon Villas in Burdon Road on the site of the Civic Centre. At the back of his house was a concrete box similar in shape to a sentry box. The door to this thing was sealed up but we found a way to jemmy it open. Inside was a spiral staircase leading downwards to a series of underground chambers that had been mothballed since the Second World War.
    It was pitch black inside and we spooked ourselves by looking around in candlelight. The place had evidently been used as an underground shelter during the War as the main ante-chamber also had rooms leading off which looked like they had been used as food and fuel storage areas.
    The interesting thing about this discovery came years later when i found out that the Civic Centre had been built over it and it had been converted to a nuclear war bunker for Sunderlands finest to escape in the event of an atomic war.
    The main entrance was directly over the road to the war memorial in Mowbray park but the steel gates at the entry were welded up.
    Now you know where to head should you encounter a "Dawn of the Dead" situation!

2. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

Love owt like that.

3. Treacle

Treacle New Member

Class. Always captures the imagination, stuff like that.

4. Blep

Blep 47 Forever

West of the Alexander Bridge, near to where Hylton Colliery used to be, there is an underground complex known as Area 21 where an alien craft crashed circa 1847. The brightest of the local population gather there on Tuesday's to back engineer the technology used to construct the concrete flying saucer and boat that was recovered. The boat can be seen at foot of Clachy Rock.

Some aliens were stranded in the city and were housed in a local holding area known as 'Castletown'. If you look closely the Castletown beings have large foreheads and small willys. The men have short hair.

I'm 47

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  5. r@mside

r@mside Winger

Most of that is common knowledge, tbf.

6. GBSAFC

GBSAFC Striker

i believe him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.