Undisclosed fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PeruzziWatch

Why do clubs sometimes choose not to disclose the fee they paid for a player? What is the point? Can anyone enlighten me?

It's annoying as fuck like PW I'm with you there.

As a fan it's nice to be able to discuss whether players have been a good signing or not but if you could have paid £200k or £20m for someone how do you know?

Probably because they are embarrassed to disclose a virtual give-away on an asset they paid millions on less than 24 months before.
Cech's fee is undisclosed, why would Chelsea be embarrassed to get reportedly 11 million for a keeper? Not a bad fee.

Probably means the transfer deal was such a fuck-up (who's getting what out of it) that it's just too embarrassing to tell the media. Then there'd be shit flying....

Why do clubs sometimes choose not to disclose the fee they paid for a player? What is the point? Can anyone enlighten me?

I think it's something clubs do to try to keep the market confused and possibly prices down. If the prices were all disclosed, fee inflation would be even more rampant than it is already, as every team would have firm information and would want ever-larger fees for players. For example, "well, Liverpool paid 12 million for Johnny Stupid, and our player is better than Johnny Stupid, so we want 15." It happens already, but more market information would make it worse, and the most ridiculous fees inevitably become the new baseline. It's the same in leagues where wages are public, for example most American sports leagues. The worst contracts become the negotiating point for the new ones.

There are probably also situations in which a club just wants to avoid admitting publicly how badly it got hosed on a particular bit of business.

Cech's fee is undisclosed, why would Chelsea be embarrassed to get reportedly 11 million for a keeper? Not a bad fee.
Maybe Arsenal are embarrassed at the high price they had to pay for a decent goalkeeper for a change? Could also be that there might be "embarrassing" signing on fees involved for the player or agent, so the less said the better.

Every fee is undisclosed aren't they? Then the fee is made up by media speculation and or leaks.

Well, think Barcelona and Neymar... The official €57m fee turned out to be €86m with all the extras paid out to agents, neymars dad, neymars foundation, "marketing" deals etc etc

Well, think Barcelona and Neymar... The official €57m fee turned out to be €86m with all the extras paid out to agents, neymars dad, neymars foundation, "marketing" deals etc etc
Exactly. There's stuff in those transfers that could cause a fans revolution; hopefully the next caper from up the road?

Already been answered, since you joined the site actually.

If the amount is over say..x amount of pounds it has to be disclosed. Otherwise, either club can insist the fee is kept secret. It might benefit both parties to do so. But once it's in the big numbers. It's all to do with stocks and shares. Then it has to disclosed.

There actual fee will be known within the football circles straight away. It's just the fans in the stands who aren't let on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back