Trouble keeping players at the club motivated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where does this culture come from?

we have turned over the entire playing personnell in the last five years yet the same comments were being made by Keane when he came to the club. we've had new ownera and managers as well yet the same shit is spouted. we buily a new stadium, new tarinin g facilities..everything has apparently changed but this so called culture remains.I don't think the fans have a losing mentality, though they have seen enough of it over the years.

Maybe its cos the word among players is that at Sunderland you can get decent wages and have a good gig without having to really be too arsed about things.
The club has a culture of complacency and low standards. One win and everyone relaxes - job done. The person who is supposed to keep the player motivated is the manager and clearly its his fault if they arent.

The club has a culture of complacency and low standards. One win and everyone relaxes - job done. The person who is supposed to keep the player motivated is the manager and clearly its his fault if they arent.

what i remember most about last season, is the fact that we beat west brom on the wednesday night and then on the sunday ( the last day of last season ) we lost to swansea, and you no what i think they had the deck chairs out for that one

what i remember most about last season, is the fact that we beat west brom on the wednesday night and then on the sunday ( the last day of last season ) we lost to swansea, and you no what i think they had the deck chairs out for that one
And that points to the underlying problem with a lack of motivation. I was there as usual and I was disgusted with the apathy of players and fans alike, the latter saying it didn't matter as we were safe. In retrospect I wish I hadn't turned out for that game. I certainly didn't stop at the end to applaud the players for their seasons work and efforts!

It certainly seems to be the case; year in, year out.
I watch alot of Premier League football and over the last years I've seen no other team come up with nowhere near as many gutless lackluster 'performances' as our team has, 9 out of 10 coming away from home where the pressure isn't quite as big to perform well.

Poyet said a few days ago that there's a culture of mistakes at Sunderland. I'd instead say there's some sort of... let's use 'culture' again in lack of better words, of not wanting/caring to put in the necessary extra mileage and dedication to kick on when in a decent place in the table with a chance to getting places. Same goes after a good result or two. There seems to creep in a feeling with many of our players of not needing to work their socks of when the knife at a given moment isn't at their throats. Talk about a lack of ambition.

At most other club this doesn't seem to happen nearly as often, and it leaves you to wonder why. Frustrating is the world, at least for those of us who aren't completely content with just making up the numbers year after year like some supporters and apparently some players do. Don't get me wrong, I can live with ending up at 17th a season or two (otherwise I couldn't live with supporting SAFC) but then I would at least want to see the team compete every game. That hasn't been the case for a long, long time. You never know when the players are turning up for work, even though I think I've learned to do just that with a pretty decent accuracy.
It seems no matter who is the manager and what players we have; at Sunderland it happens year in, year out.

Thoughts?

Er.. think it's called being unprofessional.

And that points to the underlying problem with a lack of motivation. I was there as usual and I was disgusted with the apathy of players and fans alike, the latter saying it didn't matter as we were safe. In retrospect I wish I hadn't turned out for that game. I certainly didn't stop at the end to applaud the players for their seasons work and efforts!

i was at both games and for me frankly they didn't put half the work in that they had in the previous game againist west brom it was sort of like well we have done our bit the fans are happy enough, time for us to put our feet up and enjoy the summer,

It would be interesting if they were really paid on performance. Ie. Lose and get your basic 5 grand. Draw and get 10. Win, and you can happily have your 30+ grand a week. Obviously never ever going to happen, but I bet we would see a bit more effort put in!

While I don't think you are wrong how many different managers have failed to motivate this lot? The fact two managers whom supposedly had their respect and one who probably expected way too much of them as professionals couldn't get them to perform at a consistent level is worrying, being 'up' for the odd big game or derby isn't good enough, as they aren't good enough to coast through any game, as we have seen many times if you put the bare minimum in you get nowt owt...

It's cos they know they can play shit (which they do, basically week in, week out), and still get their enormous wage packet and plenty of spare time in Nando's / Driving their Bentleys

Most of them don't feel the same as us, we really care on the whole. Mercenary footballers on the other hand?? The club will never do anything of note until we can get a spine of young County Durham/wearsiders in the team who really care, have had it drummed into them by their parents. This is where we could help the club, we need to make a concerted effort to get our kids playing more football, I've got a 4 week old boy and I'm going to do my bit, 10,000 hours of football before he is sixteen, still probably fail but if we all did it enough should come through, could help England as well if anyone is bothered. Remember, that County Durham has produced more England internationals than any other county, it can be done. Get rid of the play stations.

I agree with the op and although its obvious to us, its something that consecutive managers have failed to rectify.
Another way it manifests itself is the lack of back to back performances. Since we've been back in the premier league the number of consecutive league wins would be interesting to see. Aside from the great escape we hardly ever put two decent displays together in the league. Talk about frustrating !!

If your target every year is 17th then it is little wonder - one win and then everything is rosy for the next 3 games and you don`t need to bother...

How about a bit of this motivation, win or we stop your f***ing wages ;)
Ffs they went on like bairns when their ketchup was stopped, imagine their reaction to nee money for a week! The fact they openly admitted to having stopped trying in a game and still got money tells all about the sorry situation....

Ffs they went on like bairns when their ketchup was stopped, imagine their reaction to nee money for a week! The fact they openly admitted to having stopped trying in a game and still got money tells all about the sorry situation....
The true character of the players was seen against Southampton. But where do we get enough players with the right 'character' to play for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back