Today's boxing - plenty on, starting from 11am (Parker, Haye, Briggs, 3 154 lb world titles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's certainly not as good as it should have been, there's loads of boxing throughout the day and into the early hours.

At 11am, Sky Sports bring us an IBF heavyweight title eliminator from New Zealand where highly fancied Joseph Parker takes on Carlos Takam over 12 rounds. Parker has been strongly touted for a while, but this is his first significant test to date. African Takam may be a little one paced, but he is strong and durable and has been in with some very good names and has some decent wins on his record - Tony Thompson stands out as well as a draw with the Mike Perez where many thought he did enough to win. He was stopped late by Povetkin 2 years ago but he is a good body puncher and has a decent uppercut so could cause Parker problems here.

Sky are obviously trying to hype up the potential Joshua-Parker fight and it is a very good fight for them to pick up.

http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/joseph-parker-v-carlos-takam/winner

Parker is the favourite as you would expect, but i've said it a few times, it is always refreshing to see an 'opponent' as short a 5/2 with some bookies, so it wouldn;t be a huge shock if he was to prevail here.

Obviously the fight of the weekend, and one of the best fights scheduled this year in Wilder vs Povetkin fell through last week with the latter testing positive for meldonium. I was really looking forward to this one and despite the fact the undercard is still very solid, BoxNation have decided to no longer show this bill. The WBA-IBF cruiserweight unification between Denis Lebedev and Victor Ramirez stands out, and Yorkshire light heavyweight Bob Ajisafe looks to be in deep as well. Hopefully there will be some streams kicking about for this card.

I want to talk as little as possible about #HayeDay2 - I really can't stand David Haye and the sooner he leaves the sport the better IMO. He is generally 1/100 to beat the 'undefeated Cobra' in Arnold Gjergjaj and when he comes through this we'll have a 'huge showdown' with Shannon Briggs to look forward to :rolleyes:. Briggs was meant to be facing Dimitrenko as chief support which would have been a very tough test, but surprise, surprise Dimitrenko quashed these rumours earlier in the week and Briggs is now facing Boxrec's 290th ranked heavyweight in Emilio Zarate - again if you fancy a flutter, Briggs is as short as 1/200 to win, absolutely pointless. To put into perspective, if you popped into a rare Stan James shop and placed a £10 double on Haye and Briggs, you would be walking away with £10.15 - i kid you not :lol:. Dave's :) coverage is apparently starting at 8pm, so hopefully they show the English middleweight title bout between Lee Markham and Joe Mullender which has the potential to be an absolute war and FOTY candidate, but i won't hold my breath on them showing it.

Finally, BoxNation have replaced the aforementioned Russia card with the triple light middleweight title show in Vegas where the WBA, IBF and WBC belts are all on the line. Jermall Charlo takes on Austin Trout for the IBF, Lara rematches Martirosyan for the WBA and the other Charlo twin, Jermell (FFS :lol:) takes on former Andy Lee victim John Jackson for the vacant WBC strap.

So plenty of action and a welcome addition to have a rare day time show.

Last edited:

Brilliant to see the hayemaker on dave...done amazing figures last time showing his undoubted appeal to casuals.his team really should be thanked.

and even better that david haye is giving 10 percent of the gate to blackwell. Wonder what sky and eddie hearn gave the kid.

All in all really looking forward to seeing one of only truly world class fighters we have shaking more ring rust off.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed the Wilder fight isn't on. Whilst I think he's far from the best heavyweight out there, I really like the way Deontay Wilder conducts himself, always honest with his assessments and tends to treat everyone the way he'd like to be treated.

As for Haye, in an industry where viewing figures is king, you can't argue with 3.2 million viewers for the last fight. A smart move, having his fights on Freeview, knowing that boxing aficionados on pay TV would turn their nose up at him.

I'm disappointed the Wilder fight isn't on. Whilst I think he's far from the best heavyweight out there, I really like the way Deontay Wilder conducts himself, always honest with his assessments and tends to treat everyone the way he'd like to be treated.

As for Haye, in an industry where viewing figures is king, you can't argue with 3.2 million viewers for the last fight. A smart move, having his fights on Freeview, knowing that boxing aficionados on pay TV would turn their nose up at him.

Yeah, i agree with regards to Wilder. I do really like him and am willing him to do well. That was such a good fight tonight as well, shame.

Decent opening round in the Parker fight

Enjoyable fight so far. Takam falling firmly into the 'nee mug' category but Parker still looking likely winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back