This passing philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lack or real quality and outlets such as pave. No options whatsoever in possession.

Nail on the head.

You can talk players, tactics, formations all you like and for weeks on end, but imo, when you have arguably the most static team / group of players in the league then you won't have any 'passing' game.

All of our players can pass a ball, if you have no one to actually pass to then wtf can you do.

People used to get excited over Spain and this possession / passing football but tbf they rarely passed it over 10 yards, they just never stood still at all and would be constantly moving / making angles etc..

The system is a lot more specific this than last so it's going to take some time to click. The important thing is that we keep the points ticking over in the worse spells, something that didn't happen last season

Could do with a player who can hold the ball and create in midfield...that fella ki from Swansea looks good...

Just the time and space he made for himself was enough for me. A genuine outlet to release the pressure and start the passing game.
Given the choice of Ki or Poyet i'd take Ki.
Given the choice of Ki or Congerton i'd take Ki.
Given the choice of Ki or Byrne i'd take Ki.

we were not defending for most parts against city west brom united and cardiff
Imo, out of those games, there's only West Brom where we were reasonably comfortable all game. At City we defended our 18 yard box for long periods as we also did at Utd, although we did have a good spell in the second half. Cardiff, was a very nervous performance until we scored our second and Swansea was like men against boys in regards of Bony against our defence. Great fighting spirit in all of them and what was required at the time but not what I'd call flowing football and it would be tiresome to watch a season of it.

Big fan of Poyet and I loved the style of play he tried having us play last season, knocking the ball about and passing it to create chances.

But what the fuck has happened this season? As far as I can see, this 'passing philosophy'involves our defenders knocking it around our own half laxadaisy before we launch an angle pass at Wickham, and watch the ball come back.

It seems a bit of a mish-mash at the minute, very throw it all together and hope something sticks; similar to how we were at times under Bruce, except with much poorer players.

Again, not screaming Poyet Out or slating him, but it is a concern for me.

got to agree with this like,yesterday's approach looked like we were playing a championship style game,and our c/f couldn't cope with the attention of their centre halves

Nail on the head.

You can talk players, tactics, formations all you like and for weeks on end, but imo, when you have arguably the most static team / group of players in the league then you won't have any 'passing' game.

All of our players can pass a ball, if you have no one to actually pass to then wtf can you do.

People used to get excited over Spain and this possession / passing football but tbf they rarely passed it over 10 yards, they just never stood still at all and would be constantly moving / making angles etc..

It's a bit of both IMO. We try to play that way and don't have the outlets in terms of players getting past people, but we don't press or play with speed and intensity which can create the openings either. When we've increased that at times, like many other teams do we look much better. Even with say a Borini on the left making runs and cutting in he'd have to be f***ing brilliant doing much of it himself.

I'm not saying the players are lazy, but we are currently playing a lazy way.

We'll be very streaky again this season. There'll be a period where it clicks and we go on a min run and look the part. There'll be times when we cannit pass watter. That's the lot of a team in our position. Hopefully we continue to keep the points total ticking over in the 'fallow' periods as we are at the moment.
Give Jozy a break, man.

Could do with a player who can hold the ball and create in midfield...that fella ki from Swansea looks good...
Ki??? No no no you've got that all wrong. I was reliably informed he was a pea hearted, gutless luxury who played no part in our survival as only the points accrued at end of season counted towards our survival total. All those points we earned in January when Ki was excellent didn't count and he could f@ck back to Swansea and take @iloveki with him!
You've got this all wrong! ;)

Good idea. Liverpool have a player, too, who can play wide, hold the ball and create. Baroni, or something think he's called....
Well according to @Lewberry pie he wanted to come in the end but it was too late and we declined! :eek:

Just the time and space he made for himself was enough for me. A genuine outlet to release the pressure and start the passing game.
Given the choice of Ki or Poyet i'd take Ki.
Given the choice of Ki or Congerton i'd take Ki.
Given the choice of Ki or Byrne i'd take Ki.

You want Ki to be our manager, Director of Football and our Managing Director (or whatever Byrne is)?

Controversial.

You want Ki to be our manager, Director of Football and our Managing Director (or whatever Byrne is)?

Controversial.

Those people make the decisions but in my opinion Ki is better at his job than any of them are at theirs. They aren't fit to judge Ki, who i'd prefer to have here than any of them.

It is terrible football like, its the right way to try and play we just dont go about it in the right way

Typical though

I don't really see this year's squad as much different from last years. Last we would get one chance and set piece. Not much different so far.

Really? His passing is nee better than Larssons

Sorry, but it was a lot better, particularly in terms of keeping the ball. Ki and Colback regularly approached 90% completion. Larsson has usually hovered around 80%.

Cue the perennial pass sideways red herring. Keeping the ball is more important to a 'passing game'.

I disagree, I think our best and only period of good football last season was the turn of the year when Ki was instrumental in our passing game. As for the run in, it was hardly good football. It was last ditch in your face defending for the most part which was required at the time but playing like that over a season would see us struggle badly imo.

Ki was good in those games, I grant you. Although it was AJ being on fire that made the biggest difference imho. Just as actually having a goal threat up front (regardless of whether Connor can kick on), rather than Altidore/Fletcher was key to the final run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back