This passing philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

We've lost the Ki to the whole thing. Really miss him in the middle. I'm hoping to see Rodwell improve as the weeks go on, but slightly worried that we just don't seem capable of one touch football.

This time last season we still had Ki yet to come in to cement Gus's passing philosophy. Not sure who's going to step up to that challenge this season but someone needs to.

Big fan of Poyet and I loved the style of play he tried having us play last season, knocking the ball about and passing it to create chances.

But what the fuck has happened this season? As far as I can see, this 'passing philosophy'involves our defenders knocking it around our own half laxadaisy before we launch an angle pass at Wickham, and watch the ball come back.

It seems a bit of a mish-mash at the minute, very throw it all together and hope something sticks; similar to how we were at times under Bruce, except with much poorer players.

Again, not screaming Poyet Out or slating him, but it is a concern for me.

Agree entirely and had the same exact thoughts watching todays game. I'm unsure if it's down to lack of movement infront of them and they are just marking themselves out of the game in midfield and upfront which is leading to the long punt or the lack of belief to take that chance and play a killer ball which may or may not reach a man and carve out a chance.

Best part today though was when Brown, O'Shea and Mannone just knocked it around at the back for around 2 minutes, I assume due to there being nothing on infront of them. Which is what I liked as when Burnley pressed we moved it forwards and got into a good position that's the way it should be.

We looked the same for the best part of last season. Have people forgotten Gus stood on the touchline looking like little boy lost?
We'll be very streaky again this season. There'll be a period where it clicks and we go on a min run and look the part. There'll be times when we cannit pass watter. That's the lot of a team in our position. Hopefully we continue to keep the points total ticking over in the 'fallow' periods as we are at the moment.

I find my heart in my mouth the whole time they're knocking it around, getting nowhere and eventually getting back to vito. There were a few occasions where we, for no reason, put ourselves in a dangerous situation for no reason. Sloppy, needless passes. Not finding it relaxing to watch!

We'll be very streaky again this season. There'll be a period where it clicks and we go on a min run and look the part. There'll be times when we cannit pass watter. That's the lot of a team in our position. Hopefully we continue to keep the points total ticking over in the 'fallow' periods as we are at the moment.

No concerns?

huge lack of movement in our side makes our system nearly impossible to be successful.

Nail on head, some go on about we should've bought a striker, what the fuck for, we don't create anything for them.
Not only do we have a lack of movement when we get the ball there is no drive at all, I might as well play in our midfield the use they are.

We've lost the Ki to the whole thing. Really miss him in the middle. I'm hoping to see Rodwell improve as the weeks go on, but slightly worried that we just don't seem capable of one touch football.

One touch..?

Last edited:
last season we had Ki

Aye? Ki wasn't playing at the time we played best.

We still have 8 of the miracle run 11, and they started today.

Mannone
Vergini JoS Brown ____
Larsson Catts ____
AJ Wickham ____.

In passing terms we miss ... (unpopular as it will be to say it) ... Jack Colback.

Last season we had Ki..... :rolleyes: Played no part in our run of results that saved us from relegation.

Time to give Gomez a start in front of Larsson and see if that creates more. Rather play a 4 2 3 1 with some central supporting whoever is the lone striker

Good idea. Liverpool have a player, too, who can play wide, hold the ball and create. Baroni, or something think he's called....

He's apparently not that good, we dodged a bullet there....(Ratings against West Ham)

Fabio Borini, 4 -- A completely ineffective display from a player with it all to prove. This was Borini's big chance to show he was right to want to fight for his Liverpool career, despite being told he was surplus to requirements, but he failed to grasp it. He tested the goalkeeper once with a shot that took a deflection on its way toward goal but put another opportunity over the bar and elected to shoot from a tight angle instead of squaring to an unmarked Moreno.

Our midfield just isnt good enough. It doesnt create or score goals. Catts and Larsson will create and/or score how many this season? Johnson seems to do 2 or 3 good things in a game then disappear.
Just hope Alvarez, Buckley and Giaccherini can add something and Rodwell starts to produce.

No concerns?
No more than usual. We're better placed than we have been in the last couple of years and have the added bonus that there are a couple of teams who are likely to be significantly worse than the others in the bottom 13. I'm sure that there'll be a period where it'll look like were in serious danger. However, I expect us to go on a run at some point that'll carry us away from it. I think its just the reality of where we are. A points total in the high 40s will get you into the top half (or very close) so the margins are clearly fairly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back