The 'rotten to the core' thingy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LineTrash

Striker
http://sevensistersroad.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/the-biggest-football-clubs-in-england-rankings/

To me it's the mind set at the club...remember Steve Bruce gloating about finishing 10th and also reminding Sunderland fans of their station? If the manager thinks that what do you think the players think?
There's no way a club this size should be battling for the bottom 5 spots in the premier league year after year....the 'we're only Sunderland' mind set needs to be eradicated from the club and that starts at the top...the players haven't been very good this season but this Ellis Shorts club and he is failing!

http://sevensistersroad.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/the-biggest-football-clubs-in-england-rankings/

To me it's the mind set at the club...remember Steve Bruce gloating about finishing 10th and also reminding Sunderland fans of their station? If the manager thinks that what do you think the players think?
There's no way a club this size should be battling for the bottom 5 spots in the premier league year after year....the 'we're only Sunderland' mind set needs to be eradicated from the club and that starts at the top...the players haven't been very good this season but this Ellis Shorts club and he is failing!

not disagreeing with what you say - but I can't really see how the link fits in - so out of date - all it does is demonstrate that the guys pathetic attempt at ranking was largely based on the top flight in one season - have a laugh at 'group 4', now many of whom would dream of being a 'minnow' in group 5!!

The same players weren't very good last season.
Or the season before...

Theres a pattern emerging here!

At the end of the day Ellis Short is not the one out on the pitch or selecting the team. He picks the manager and hes made errors as its the managers shite activities in the transfer windows (going back as far as Bruce...) that has cost us.

Its the playing staff that needs changing.

We aren't as big as you think, not to mention size of the crowd doesn't mean they are more deserving. I am more concerned about all the money we have spent just to keep us up. Mentality won't ever change until we consistently finish top half

It is hard to pin point exactly what is wrong, but it has been the case for a good few years. For some reason, in certain games at least half the team just does not turn up. Usually it is against the lower teams. Given our league position, it can not be complacency, thinking Norwich, Palace etc will be a push over. If it were pressure, how come we play out of our skins in a derby game? Is it apathy setting in or lack of imagination against teams who put men behind the ball. Do we bottle a more physical battle that you get against the bottom half teams?

If it were one player having an off-day, I could understand it, but we literally seem to have 6+ players sleep walking into certain games.

We nearly got something out of Everton, could have beat City, beat Chelsea all with performances that say we should be ok. We are in charge of our own destiny again, and can get out of this. I honestly expect us to struggle against Cardiff and get beat 1-0. We just blow chance after chance.

Smaller promoted teams come up and pass us every year....constantly play down to teams

I just don't feel there is an air at the club that success is expected, more like the other way around. And I don't disagree about the players but why is there not better players here? Even the fans say it..'he'll never come here'..a club this size should be battling in the top ten every year...it's bad players but more so poor leadership!!

I don't buy into the rotten to the core theory but there is something about our squad which three managers in a row have failed to address. We need to find a way of playing at home that allows us to dominate the game and mount sustained pressure. Our best results have come playing away from home. Playing 'on the break' isn't a bad ploy in away games but when we are expected to take the game to the opposition at home we struggle.

I don't buy into the rotten to the core theory but there is something about our squad which three managers in a row have failed to address. We need to find a way of playing at home that allows us to dominate the game and mount sustained pressure. Our best results have come playing away from home. Playing 'on the break' isn't a bad ploy in away games but when we are expected to take the game to the opposition at home we struggle.
good post that mate.

Smaller promoted teams come up and pass us every year....constantly play down to teams

I just don't feel there is an air at the club that success is expected, more like the other way around. And I don't disagree about the players but why is there not better players here? Even the fans say it..'he'll never come here'..a club this size should be battling in the top ten every year...it's bad players but more so poor leadership!!

I few of them have passed us both ways mind.

@johnson will be along soon to clear this up he loves these threads....

:lol:

It's absolute shite, and the morons favourite view

It never enters there mind that we just aren't very good and can't score goals

Well why shouldn't we bottom 5? We have spent the last 50 years basically in the second division. Fans of a certain age on here just expect is to be premier league and constantly slag the team off

In terms of our history in the last 50 years this is our longest top flight run

Yet these are hated, unlike the second division rate players like ball and kay

The same players weren't very good last season.
Or the season before...

Theres a pattern emerging here!

At the end of the day Ellis Short is not the one out on the pitch or selecting the team. He picks the manager and hes made errors as its the managers shite activities in the transfer windows (going back as far as Bruce...) that has cost us.

Its the playing staff that needs changing.

We have no pace, no creativity and no goal scorers, please tell me how that equates to being "rotten"

I don't buy into the rotten to the core theory but there is something about our squad which three managers in a row have failed to address.

A large part of that is our purchases in midfield under the Bruce era and a few since.
Larsson: Does run around a lot, but never that likely to beat his man on a run or play the sort of pass to a striker that can create something
Gardner: Does put in a shift, got a canny strike from range but never that likely to beat his man on a run or play the sort of pass to a striker that can create something
Johnson: Is creative and can take on players, but often does not look bothered. If teams double up on him he vanishes from the game as he gets little support from the rest of the team.
Colback: Does put in a shift, got a canny strike from range but never that likely to beat his man on a run or play the sort of pass to a striker that can create something
Cattermole: Defensive midfield, works hard breaking up play but not a creative player.
Ki: Not a huge amount of assists to his name.

Look back at a few of the others, Malbranque, Henderson etc. Some decent players, but all better at breaking up play and doing the sideways ball. We have had very few players coming from midfield who look dangerous going forward. Henderson improved his game by leaving.

In the height of the Reid era, the whole midfield and our left back were all players who could cause the opposition defence problems. That stopped them doubling up on a single player and that created space for the strikers too. Unfortunately now, we play a very cagey game. We are good at breaking up play resulting in a lot of possession for us, but lacking in creativity allows the opposition to get back and defend in numbers. We then do not have the guile in the team to break that down. Breaking up play is good, but if we give the ball straight back to the opposition then it constantly puts us under pressure. We need creativity above anything else this closed season.

Why is that?

Seems like the definition to me :lol:

What you on about? Rotten does not mean lack of quality like. Try looking it up in the dictionary. Might go better than this thread.

Rotten signifies we have attacking players backed with pace and quality who are not performing due to their attitude

That is a lie

We don't have enough quality in the squad

Our team is no better than west Brom

People like yourself refuse to accept that

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back