The Niall Quinn appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it had to happen but a sad day never the less. Saved our club from probable lower league oblivion and did it with a smile on his face. I hope he breeds and races the future winner of the Irish Derby, then the Arc De Triumph.

A very sad day. I was still on a high this morning after Saturday but this news has taken the wind out of my sails.

It's sad we may never see him in an official capacity at SAFC again.

A true Sunderland icon and legend; I'm gutted that he has gone.

I always took so much pride in seeing him represent our great club, and for that to be no more is very sad.

Thanks for everything Niall, I'd love to buy you a pint someday.

Dave

fantastic fella, all the best marra thanks for all you have done for our club.

I suppose I can only comment on my lifetime watching Sunderland but Niall Quinn is the greatest single individual associated to our club in my time. A fantastic personality, excellent footballer, tireless worker for the club and choosing to come back involved when the club was in a desperate state. Not a single other player, manager or employee of the club comes anywhere near as close as Niall. A genuine legend.

3 memories as a player

- the sublime chip against Port Vale
- the header from 18 yards that beat Shay Given at the SDA
- going in goal when we won at Bradford in a promotion decider

and as a man

- rallying the team after the play-off defeat, a year later we were champions
- arranging taxis when we were stuck in Bristol
- turning us from heading into league one into a top 10 premier side.

What a magic carpet ride, thanks Niall.

I suppose I can only comment on my lifetime watching Sunderland but Niall Quinn is the greatest single individual associated to our club in my time. A fantastic personality, excellent footballer, tireless worker for the club and choosing to come back involved when the club was in a desperate state. Not a single other player, manager or employee of the club comes anywhere near as close as Niall. A genuine legend.

Yes, yes and yes. Only man who I would call a legend at SAFC.

Don't think I can add anything unique to this thread, the man is my hero and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

I wrote him a letter when he took over with Drumaville & sent a daft story as to how I became a SAFC fan.

Less than a week later I got a reply, commenting on the story and thanking me for my support... It was signed in pen 'Niall'

Legend.

+1 for a Statue.

One of footballs only real gents left 'in the game'. Football is losing out with him going but Sunderland is losing what was its life support machine for a while.

All the best.

Can't add much that hasn't already been said. The great man has made SAFC a club to be respected and admired again. Never gone through 36 pages before, but read every comment on them, such is my respect for a wonderful human being.

One thing is for certain, for those who have doubted Ellis, Niall would never leave without the club being in very safe and capable hands.

Thanks for everything, and best of luck in the future.

Thanks for everything big man, saved our club and brought many years of great football true legend deserves a stand named after him

Absolutely f***ing gutted Sir Niall has left but goes with the absolute blessing of all the fans. Thank you for the 6 years, you've left us in the best position since I've supported the club and every little bit of success in the future will be down to you.

I wrote him a letter when he took over with Drumaville & sent a daft story as to how I became a SAFC fan.

Less than a week later I got a reply, commenting on the story and thanking me for my support... It was signed in pen 'Niall'

Legend.

+1 for a Statue.

Totally agree. A massive and most influential part of SAFC during the era at the SOL and a statue outside the main entrance between the two gates would be most appropriate. Love him I do

Totally agree. A massive and most influential part of SAFC during the era at the SOL and a statue outside the main entrance between the two gates would be most appropriate. Love him I do

You know that picture with his arms above his head, 'Stadium Of light' behind him.

That would be great, right where he stood:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back