The new Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that the first episodes of the Clarkson era Top Gear had a fat bloke called Jason Dawe doing used car advice, then the second series had James May doing exactly the same thing, telling people how they could buy a Bentley T2 for peanuts.

Of course nobody remembers that now because of the success the programme became in later years. But the first episodes and series were f***ing dire.
I think it will improve but it will never be as funny. Shouty Evans needs to get back to doing TFI Friday and bucking Billy Piper instead of this.

I think it will improve but it will never be as funny. Shouty Evans needs to get back to doing TFI Friday and bucking Billy Piper instead of this.

So despite the fact it took nigh on 10 years for the last Clarkson era Top Gear to get funny, you're writing off an entirely new programme after one episode? Makes perfect sense.

Except that the first episodes of the Clarkson era Top Gear had a fat bloke called Jason Dawe doing used car advice, then the second series had James May doing exactly the same thing, telling people how they could buy a Bentley T2 for peanuts.

Of course nobody remembers that now because of the success the programme became in later years. But the first episodes and series were f***ing dire.
Even a lot of the later stuff was dire.

So despite the fact it took nigh on 10 years for the last Clarkson era Top Gear to get funny, you're writing off an entirely new programme after one episode? Makes perfect sense.
This.

Kirchoff tastic

I lasted 25mins then had to cancel the recording and switch that utter shite off my TV. It is way worse than I ever imagined, which bellend at the Beeb thought that it was the format of the program that made it so successful? They don't get it, it was the three guys that made the show and simply replacing them does not work, I actually felt embarrassed watching that Top gear bit when Evens was screaming as he floored that car, it just got worse from that point, the stig into was cringe TV at it's worst and the reliant bit was so boring and unfunny I had to put myself out my misery and switch it off, my son walked out and went back on his PC after the first 10mins :oops:

Clarkson, May and Hammond must be pissing themselves, the press will murder this tomorrow, deffo the last series ever this, utter garbage.

Excellent show, puts to bed the smell of old socks from the previous has beens.

Clarkson and his greasy sidekicks consigned to the garbage can.

Losers.

Even a lot of the later stuff was dire.

This.

Kirchoff tastic

"It has been a long time since Top Gear was anything but total rubbish. It is not a programme about cars in which most people have any real interest. It is an entertainment show to promote the 'personalities' of the three hosts.

'Let's get back to reality. We want to know about the cars we all drive or may hope to drive in the real world. Not this delinquent world of speeding and contempt for the environment.’"

Quotes not from last night, but, er....2009 :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...nters-cartoon-characters-ratings-plummet.html

"It has been a long time since Top Gear was anything but total rubbish. It is not a programme about cars in which most people have any real interest. It is an entertainment show to promote the 'personalities' of the three hosts.

'Let's get back to reality. We want to know about the cars we all drive or may hope to drive in the real world. Not this delinquent world of speeding and contempt for the environment.’"

Quotes not from last night, but, er....2009 :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...nters-cartoon-characters-ratings-plummet.html
Class quote!

We f***ing don't, if I want to find out how well a ford Mondeo drives it doesn't mean it will make for good television! Bring on the million pound dream Machines

There've always been two Top Gears: Before the Clarkson make-over, and after.

I know Clarkson was in the first version, but the second version was entirely his invention, casting off the ghosts of Angela Rippon (all the feminists who were calling for the 'first female presenter of Top Gear', stick Angela Rippon up your arse) and Noel Edmonds. The reinvention took a while to click, but when it did, it often resulted in genuinely great TV - so long as you bought into it being a mix of Last of the Summer Wine and a car show.

Its genius was creating a blokish show when blokishness had pretty much been banished from the airwaves. Lots of men are blokish with their mates, but it had become the great taboo of UK telly. Probably why elements within the BBC had long been gunning for Clarkson's Top Gear. Trouble is, being a bloke, he gave them reason to get rid of him.

New Top Gear misses the point entirely. Either you do a Top Gear that's basically about three car-obsessed blokes who are mates getting up to car-obsessed blokish things, or you go back to being a car show. They've tried to continue with the Clarkson format without understanding it. I watched last night's prog on iPlayer and was cringing. Won't bother with Episode Two. Roll on TG2 on Amazon.

I enjoyed it...it has potential, unlike the old presenters who have run their course.

I liked that they did the muscle cars pieces as Clarkson would never touch that

Glad this weeks episode featured my dream car, the beautiful Dodge Viper :cool:

And I thought it was a good job all round, I'll be watching next week ;)

The whole format is way past its sell by date.

Don't agree.

There were times when Top Gear fell flat (the hovercrafts on the Thames; blow-torching pizzas on each other's crotch), but it was often genuinely great watching, including the last series. The St Petersburg adventure was genuinely funny.

It tapped into a particular sort of blokishness that still exists (even though we are fed a constant stream of telly - especially in the ads - in which women are entirely competent and men are idiots). Surely there's room for one progamme, an hour a week, eight episodes at a time, in which men are permitted to arse about as men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back